PDA

View Full Version : I've fallen and I can't get (it) up!

koØm
01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
........the Laptop that is.

Laptop took a tumble off the chair and shut down. When, I turned it back on it said, "CMOS Error", hit F2 for SETUP or F12 for boot menu. When I tried to go into BIOS Setup, the PC demands a "Password" which, if not correct will shut the PC off. I scouted around Google for an answer but did not come up with anything really helpful for this Toshiba model.

I am trying to find a "Backdoor" BIOS password if such a thing exists: the factory wants more than the PC is currently worth on eBay to unspring the BIOS and the YouToob (....Fry your mainboard board in 3 easy steps.....) videos are a waste of bandwidth.

Any support folks/friends of Toshiba support folks/Toshiba Trained Techs or anyone who could offer suggerstions?

KG4CGC
01-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Take it apart and check all the push in, snap in connections. Then check from broken boards. Reassemble and go from there.

koØm
01-17-2012, 11:28 PM
I did that the week before Christmas, I've had it on the back burner while I've been doing other things. Everything is tight and, although I did not micro-examine the PC, I think it's OK, it completes POST, the display comes on, the keyboard inputs the the password and, after the third try, the PC shuts down when the wrong info is loaded.

It's BIOS Password locked.

n2ize
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
You may have to reset the BIOS and go from there. This may bring it back to default BIOS settings. You have to find the point from which to perform the reset i.e. sometimes jumper on the motherboard. Sometimes also removal of the BIOS battery will work. Take out battery and leave in this condition with battery removed for a significant period in time. Then re-install battery and retry.

KC2UGV
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
What's the model number?

NQ6U
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Use the Handy Dandy 'BSO Computer Diagnostic and Repair Tool on it:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/sledgehammer.jpg

K7SGJ
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Use the Handy Dandy 'BSO Computer Diagnostic and Repair Tool on it:

Looks kinda worn, and where's the cord?