PDA

View Full Version : Air travel: HT in carry on bag?

W4GPL
01-16-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm taking a very short trip in the upcoming few weeks and I don't need to check a bag, just my backpack will do. Will TSA give me crap over bringing my HT with me?

Please don't let this turn into a debate about TSA and politics. I just need information, not commentary. ;)

KJ3N
01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Shouldn't be an issue. They may look at it funny, but that's about it.

WØTKX
01-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Last two times I flew, I brought my VX-5 on my belt... put it in the keys and change box.

They didn't care at all. It's fun to scan the aircraft frequencies.

n6hcm
01-16-2012, 11:44 PM
never had trouble bringing my VX7R to my destination in a carry-on.

NQ6U
01-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Take it out of your bag and put it in a tray the way you would with a laptop and you'll have no trouble at all.

NA4BH
01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Detach the antenna (if you can) and put both in the tray. When they (TSA) give the hairy eye at them, tell them it is a ham radio. Carry a copy of your license just in case. If you have a cool pilot (ask him/her when you board), if they will let you monitor frequencies during the flight, no TX. Amazing how far a repeater you can hear a repeater at 35,000 feet. The thing that sets of the "alarms" is the antenna with all the windings in it.

KG4CGC
01-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Well, now that you know you'll probably be OK, don't forget your orange vest, radio holster and callsign badge.

NA4BH
01-17-2012, 01:18 AM
And watch your cornhole around the TSA.

NQ6U
01-17-2012, 02:30 AM

Not too closely, however. They might think you're nervous about something you've got hidden up there.

KG4CGC
01-17-2012, 03:55 AM

Do the Amish fly now?

W1GUH
01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
TSA just doesn't care, or even seem to notice anything electronical in you carry-on. It can help to put it by itself in a tray, but other than than that there's no worries.

WØTKX
01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
I use a Comet SMA-24 flexible antenna, and just coil it up... detached and next to it in the tray.
Fits in the cargo pants pocket after running the gauntlet.

KB3LAZ
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
I dont even like taking my laptop throw airport security. They take it out of the bag, look over it, take off the bottom cover (sometimes), and so on. Nearly every time. I dont have anything to hide so I dont care, but it gets annoying. At worst it will cause you 10 mins of annoyance.

KC9ECI
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Never had any issues with any of my HT's or my 703 and I always carry those on with me.

XE1/N5AL
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
I had a soldering iron confiscated once. I bought an "el cheapo" iron during a long trip, used it briefly, dumped it into my bag and later forgot I even had the thing. Maybe, the airport authorities were afraid I was going to assemble a Heathkit HT while on-board the plane?

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 02:20 AM
I had a soldering iron confiscated once. I bought an "el cheapo" iron during a long trip, used it briefly, dumped it into my bag and later forgot I even had the thing. Maybe, the airport authorities were afraid I was going to assemble a Heathkit HT while on-board the plane?

Or stab someone with it.

n6hcm
01-18-2012, 03:33 AM
I dont even like taking my laptop throw airport security. They take it out of the bag, look over it, take off the bottom cover (sometimes), and so on. Nearly every time. I dont have anything to hide so I dont care, but it gets annoying. At worst it will cause you 10 mins of annoyance.

you're doing something horribly wrong. i pack my carry-on as full of electronics as possible (laptop, sometimes two), ht, portable am/fm, dslr, ipod, mobile phone (sometimes two), all the chargers for these, plus my insulin kit. in a separate bag i carry my cpap. the worst i get is that they always want to mess with my cpap (like they don't see enough of these daily to understand) and "is this insulin?" (holding up the pen dispenser labelled "insulin").

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 03:38 AM
you're doing something horribly wrong. i pack my carry-on as full of electronics as possible (laptop, sometimes two), ht, portable am/fm, dslr, ipod, mobile phone (sometimes two), all the chargers for these, plus my insulin kit. in a separate bag i carry my cpap. the worst i get is that they always want to mess with my cpap (like they don't see enough of these daily to understand) and "is this insulin?" (holding up the pen dispenser labelled "insulin").

Lol idk what I would be doing wrong. I follow all of their directions. As I said its a 5-10 minute delay at most when it happens. No big deal.

W4GPL
01-18-2012, 04:17 AM
TSA regulations specifically say you need to take your laptop out and put it in a separate bin unless it's in a TSA approved laptop bag.

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 04:32 AM
TSA regulations specifically say you need to take your laptop out and put it in a separate bin unless it's in a TSA approved laptop bag.

Yes, and they inspect mine every time, lol.

W4GPL
01-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Weird.

W3WN
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
When we went to Dallas 2 summers ago, there were no issues from TSA with my ICOM HT, coming or going. Had it in a side pocket of my travel case with a copy of my license, no one said a word.

They didn't say anything about my BiPAP either.

Now, when I went to Denver a couple of years ago, they didn't say anything about the HT, but they did raise a bit of a fuss about the BiPAP in Pittsburgh. Pulled it out of the bag, dusted it (?), asked me what it was for. On the return leg, it was pulled out, eyeballed, and put back. Go figure.

A lot may depend on the TSA operative, their experience level, and how much of the broomstick is shoved up their... anatomy on that particular day.

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
I think I will be nervous carrying Pilars engagement ring around the airport. Not because of tsa though. I just have this thing about carrying a 2k$ ring in my pocket in airports and train stations.

KC2UGV
01-18-2012, 04:18 PM

There's a TSA approved laptop bag?

---EDIT---

Sho' 'nuff... Just googled it... Never knew this.