PDA

View Full Version : SOPA Blackout January 18th

KG4CGC
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HGEUhCfQ464
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HGEUhCfQ464

http://www.webpronews.com/sopa-blackout-set-for-january-18th-heres-all-the-info-2012-01

Fact or Hype?

WØTKX
01-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Mebbe. If Google and Bing (Microsoft) go dark, the movement would have some real teeth.

n6hcm
01-16-2012, 11:43 PM
hype. small players (and maybe wikipedia) will go dark, but for the big players it's big money to go dark for a day, and they won't do it.

KG4CGC
01-16-2012, 11:59 PM
That's this Wednesday. I'm not getting online Wednesday. No email or anything that uses an internet connection.
I'm going to boycott the entire Internet on Wednesday. You may think I'm stupid but you already KNOW I'm crazy, right?

W2NAP
01-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Mebbe. If Google and Facebook go dark, the movement would have some real teeth.

fixed

NA4BH
01-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Wouldn't miss either one. Throw Twittless in there also.

KB3LAZ
01-17-2012, 01:59 AM
No bad joo joo! I need skype damnit.

W2NAP
01-17-2012, 05:05 AM

agree I do.

KC2UGV
01-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Is HI going dark tomorrow?

n2ize
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM

That is not the point. I know quite a few techies who argue, "who cares if these bills pass, the only thing it will affect is some jerks access to online pron". Unfortunately it goes much further. these bills break DNS and break the functional structure of the Internet in order to protect a dying industry with an obsolete business model. It would be like the gaslight industry passing laws against electricity to assure we use continue or go back to using gaslights.

n2ize
01-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I am going to blackout my home network tomorrow as well as access to any of my online info.

n2ize
01-17-2012, 12:31 PM
How to survive the Wikipedia blackout

http://techland.time.com/2012/01/17/how-to-survive-wednesdays-wikipedia-blackout/

W4GPL
01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Or just use Google's cache? That's my plan.

I don't intend on blacking out any of my sites (including HamIsland). I don't think it would be effective as we don't have a very wide audience and as far as I can tell the most dangerous provisions in SOPA have been removed. The WhiteHouse is tepidly against it.. some heavy weight Senators like Franken and Wyden have indicated they would block it. :dunno: I'm concerned about legislation like SOPA, but not really about this particular bill at this point in time.

With that said, I think that sites like Wikipedia and others will certainly draw a lot of attention and I support what they're doing.

n2ize
01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
What about PIPA (Protect Intellectual Property act). From what I hears it is considerably worst than SOPA and stands a good chance of passing. You know they are going to keep introducing these bills over and over again until they eventually sneak one through. As long as you have people like Leaky Leahy wh\o are in Hollywood's pocket this garbage will eventually get through.

KG4CGC
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
What about PIPA (Protect Intellectual Property act). From what I hears it is considerably worst than SOPA and stands a good chance of passing. You know they are going to keep introducing these bills over and over again until they eventually sneak one through. As long as you have people like Leaky Leahy wh\o are in Hollywood's pocket this garbage will eventually get through.

Yes, this is true.

KG4CGC
01-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Google will join but not with a Blackout Protest.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57360291/google-plans-to-use-home-page-to-protest-sopa/

KB3LAZ
01-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry no protesting for me tomorrow. At the current moment skype is my life line. Skype requires the internet. Therefore I will use the net. Though I did lose power for 2 hours today.

suddenseer
01-17-2012, 08:41 PM
That's this Wednesday. I'm not getting online Wednesday. No email or anything that uses an internet connection.
I'm going to boycott the entire Internet on Wednesday. You may think I'm stupid but you already KNOW I'm crazy, right?It will be weeks until I finish my Kindle books, so dark away!..............You aint stupid, but you may be crackers.

KB3LAZ
01-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Lol, looking at a large list of sites that are participating. I must have counted two dozen hacking sites. Im not really seeing any uber important things shutting down. So the question is, will it mean anything? And no, I dont really count wiki as important. I cant use it for school reports because they dont find it to be credible due to the fact that many articles are still undergoing citing on misc facts. Its a nice tool for reference but until it has enough validity that I can cite it on a term paper it truly is meaningless to me.

Bleh, have to use IE tomorrow rather than FF. :P

KC2UGV
01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I cant use it for school reports because they dont find it to be credible due to the fact that many articles are still undergoing citing on misc facts.

You shouldn't use any encyclopedia for school reports. You should always go to the sources they cite. Tertiary sources are NEVER valid research citations.

W2NAP
01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
hope something good comes of this really...

"Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corp. and one of the world's preeminent media tycoons, displayed a rare public tantrum via Twitter. In his posts he accused the president of taking his marching orders from "Silicon Valley paymasters." He suggested Google was whipping up the opposition and was a "piracy leader.""

damn I didnt know google was a pirate leader. Murdoch is a putz

KC9ECI
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
I know I'm a bit early, but http://w9idx.com/ and a couple other sites I have have gone dark.

KB3LAZ
01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
You shouldn't use any encyclopedia for school reports. You should always go to the sources they cite. Tertiary sources are NEVER valid research citations.

I use whatever gets me a passing grade. :P At times that has been the Washington post.

KG4CGC
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
See everyone Thursday morning.

KC9ECI
01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Godspeed, I'll see you on the other side.

n6hcm
01-18-2012, 03:42 AM
i know a content provider who's whining about this ... this same content provider and his people don't get that pirated photoshop is pretty much the same as when someone pirates their content. yet they're whining about google and wikipedia "bullying" people. insanity rules!

n2ize
01-18-2012, 05:03 AM
This is a good opportunity to write your reps and remind them about this flawed legislation. I would really love to see YouTube shut down for 24 hours. In any event it is great the Wikipedia is trying to draw attention about this.

n2ize
01-18-2012, 05:10 AM

Even at the undergrad level most professors will either reject papers or deduct some serious points from papers that cite encyclopedias as information sources. This includes well established encyclopedias like Britannica. Even high school teachers generally frown on the use of encyclopedias.

This of course doesn't mean that you cannot use them for reference. I use wikipedia a heck of a lot as a reference tool and/or to refresh my memory on various topics. They also provide references to sources that can be cited in academic/professional works but the encyclopedia should never be the primary source of info for academic writings.

KC2UGV
01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Even at the undergrad level most professors will either reject papers or deduct some serious points from papers that cite encyclopedias as information sources. This includes well established encyclopedias like Britannica. Even high school teachers generally frown on the use of encyclopedias.

This of course doesn't mean that you cannot use them for reference. I use wikipedia a heck of a lot as a reference tool and/or to refresh my memory on various topics. They also provide references to sources that can be cited in academic/professional works but the encyclopedia should never be the primary source of info for academic writings.

I use whatever gets me a passing grade. :P At times that has been the Washington post.

What he said ('IZE). Wa-po is fine, it's a secondary source. Tertiary Sources (Encyclopedias, textbooks, etc) are not good for citations. They are good for finding things to use for citations, however.

NQ6U
01-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Obama has now said that he would veto the current version (http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/) of SOPA.

KB3LAZ
01-18-2012, 04:58 PM
What he said ('IZE). Wa-po is fine, it's a secondary source. Tertiary Sources (Encyclopedias, textbooks, etc) are not good for citations. They are good for finding things to use for citations, however.

I have actually been told to use them for many things.

KC2UGV
01-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I have actually been told to use them for many things.

That was a piss-poor instructor then. Tertiary sources always have biases, whether intentional or not.

KB3LAZ
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
That was a piss-poor instructor then. Tertiary sources always have biases, whether intentional or not.

Thats nothing! You should have met my Advanced micro bio prof! Only thing he ever talked about was dry cereal and getting a double shot at the bar. ..I had to pay to listen to that shit. Good thing is, he tested on the book and the book only. Also he did not take attendance. I only ever went to that class on test day.