PDA

View Full Version : NOS 6146A's..

W1GUH
01-15-2012, 06:23 AM
There was a guy at the Marathon hamfest selling NOS Sylvania 6146A's for $15.00 apiece. I got four so I'll have spares for the KWM-2 that's in my future. ;) He had a lot more & it's probable that I'll see him again at this hamfest (http://www.arrl.org/hamfests/arast-winterfest) in February or at other times during the year. Let me know if you'd like me to pick some up for you.

I really only need two, and will be happy to pass along the other two. The guy said they're truly NOS -- never been used. Instinct says says they're just fine -- but the usual caveats about these kinds of transactions apply.

But when I get the Cheyenne going (only radio I have so far that uses those great tubes), I can check them in that.

Well, can't get rid of the image...didn't notice "gas" written on the box. Hmmmm.....now I wonder....

ab1ga
01-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Reasons why I wouldn't worry too much:

1. Any person mental enough to try to sell someone a tube in a box marked "GAS" would have shown other external indications. Even a half-witted scam artist would have either found another box to put it in, even if it meant wrapping it in tissue and putting it in a shoe box with other tubes.

2. The tube may have come from another box damaged between hamfests, and the seller found another 6146A box to put it in and didn't notice the writing either.

3. Even if it is the right tube and box, the label might be erroneous. It's common for people to use the reason du jour to explain the erratic behavior of a piece of equipment, even if not all the symptoms are present. It's the "I know what I'm doing, so if it doesn't work, the tube MUST be gassy" effect. Ignorance has always caused more misfortune than malice.

4. The other tubes could still be good.

5. If you did get stiffed, hunting the bum down will be another reason to visit as many hamfests as you can. Since you seem to love hamfests, you'll be ecstatic!

W1GUH
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks! I'm so embarrassed that I didn't notice that before I posted the pic. Well, at least it kept me honest. My reaction is pretty much the same as yours -- probably doesn't mean anything. Guess I'll hafta get the Cheyenne cranked up to check 'em all out. Yep, that's the only box with "gas" on it. It's also true that the Bencher for $25 and that Weston meter for $8 (!) pretty much balance out any problems with the tubes.

NQ6U
01-16-2012, 05:16 PM
According to an old ARRL Handbook I used to have, you can sometimes rejuvenate a gassy tube by running the filament at half voltage for a couple of days (out of circuit, of course). It supposedly will use up the oxygen molecules that have seeped in. Haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it really works but if the tube does turn out to be bad, it might be worth a shot.

K7SGJ
01-16-2012, 08:17 PM
According to an old ARRL Handbook I used to have, you can sometimes rejuvenate a gassy tube by running the filament at half voltage for a couple of days (out of circuit, of course). It supposedly will use up the oxygen molecules that have seeped in. Haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it really works but if the tube does turn out to be bad, it might be worth a shot.

Yep, it does work. I've done it with several different RF amp tubes. Another thing about the 6146 is it's application in frequencies from HF through VHF. I've had more than a few that had problems at VHF that worked great on 40M and 80M. Although tube checkers are nice for matching tubes characteristics and such, for the most part, I've always found the best tube checker to be the equipment the tube is used in.

W1GUH
01-16-2012, 08:26 PM

I'll try that if I need to. Thanks!

kb2crk
01-17-2012, 12:44 PM
if they turn out good I am interested in a spare set for my HW-101. I always could use a good set of 6146a's as the b's just don't work quite right.