PDA

View Full Version : Car shopping.

KC9ECI
01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
I freaking hate it. Wife mowed down a couple deer last Saturday night. Cost to repair the car was more than the thing was worth. She's been driving a loaner all week and took today off work to go look at cars. She's on her way home now to get me to take me looking. She's been looking online all week and driving me crazy.

NA4BH
01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
What vehicle is she looking at?

N8YX
01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Did you put venison in the freezer as a result?

Last two deer I killed have been with my Mazda and not a scrap of meat was harvested from either. :roll:

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Why does she want you there? Is it so she can tell you that she likes it and is getting it anyway?

ki4itv
01-13-2012, 05:37 PM
We just had to do the same thing twice (literally at the same time) as our vehicles were suffering from severe attrition.
2 new Hyundai's in the drive. An 08 Tuscon, and 2012 Santa Fe...and your right Tom, car shopping really bites. Car payments bite too.
I hadn't bought a new vehicle since...Uhmmm, right around the turn of the century.

KC9ECI
01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
No, she didn't even bring the damn thing home and it was fair sized. Told me she didn't know you could do that. She's only been in this country for 20+ years.

She had her heart set on a mommymobile. She's been looking at Buick Rendezvous and Chrysler Pacifica's.

I really don't care what she gets, I don't have to drive it save for rare occasions. If I go somewhere I generally prefer to take my truck.

KB3LAZ
01-13-2012, 05:57 PM
No, she didn't even bring the damn thing home and it was fair sized. Told me she didn't know you could do that. She's only been in this country for 20+ years.

She had her heart set on a mommymobile. She's been looking at Buick Rendezvous and Chrysler Pacifica's.

I really don't care what she gets, I don't have to drive it save for rare occasions. If I go somewhere I generally prefer to take my truck.

I had a Rendezvous. Had it less than two years and traded it in. Nothing but problems from it. Comfy ride though.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
When the Pacifica came out @$40K base price, I looked at the thing and said, "An over glorified station wagon? Again? Why Chrysler?"
The Buick thing is for Tiger Woods fans. There was a dealership in Florida that sold something like a hundred of those Buicks claiming that IT was the ONE that TIGER WOODS USED in the original commercial. I know this because mu cousin down there bought one and I said bullshit. Over time he found out that it wasn't the only Tigermobile but he would never admit to anything.
What-evah!

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Sorry. I don't mean to bag on her choices. I understand that things are different in Wisconsin. Good beer though.

W3WN
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I really enjoyed the '96 Subaru Legacy Outback I had a few years back. Only problem was that it was coming up on 200,000 miles, and the nickel-and-dime season had begun.

So, naturally, when we got a new vehicle, my wife got a Mazda 3. I got her 99 Olds Alero. Well, she does drive more than I do right now...

Were I able to buy a car tonight, I'd be taking a good, hard look at the Outback and Forester. Just sayin'.

KC9ECI
01-13-2012, 06:32 PM
We pick up the 2006 Pacifica tomorrow morning.

KB3LAZ
01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I really enjoyed the '96 Subaru Legacy Outback I had a few years back. Only problem was that it was coming up on 200,000 miles, and the nickel-and-dime season had begun.

So, naturally, when we got a new vehicle, my wife got a Mazda 3. I got her 99 Olds Alero. Well, she does drive more than I do right now...

Were I able to buy a car tonight, I'd be taking a good, hard look at the Outback and Forester. Just sayin'.

Impreza WRX STI.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Impreza WRX STI.Every highschool kid in the next country has one of those. Ever since the original commercial aired of it bustin' ass in the snow, it became a young teen's car and widely targeted for parts thieves.

K7SGJ
01-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Why does she want you there? Is it so she can tell you that she likes it and is getting it anyway?

Probably so she can hit him with the car and make sure the air bag goes off in case she hits another deer?

KB3LAZ
01-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Every highschool kid in the next country has one of those. Ever since the original commercial aired of it bustin' ass in the snow, it became a young teen's car and widely targeted for parts thieves.

You got some well off parents in that district eh?

kf0rt
01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Every highschool kid in the next country has one of those. Ever since the original commercial aired of it bustin' ass in the snow, it became a young teen's car and widely targeted for parts thieves.

They're wildly popular out here where it snows all the time. Bought an '82 Subaru GL sedan here; first new car I ever bought. Was the wife's car and pretty decent. Did real well in the snow. Used it to bring our daughter home when she was born and taught her how to drive it when she was 16. Sold it for $400 when it was 17-18 years old (had less than 100K on the clock, but the clutch was fried). It was real cheap to maintain and I still see the old GL's on the road once in awhile.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
You got some well off parents in that district eh?

Yepper. Of course these kids would have normally got Beemers if that's what they wanted.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 09:59 PM
They're wildly popular out here where it snows all the time. Bought an '82 Subaru GL sedan here; first new car I ever bought. Was the wife's car and pretty decent. Did real well in the snow. Used it to bring our daughter home when she was born and taught her how to drive it when she was 16. Sold it for $400 when it was 17-18 years old (had less than 100K on the clock, but the clutch was fried). It was real cheap to maintain and I still see the old GL's on the road once in awhile.

It costs a bit more, but the car that really impressed me in weather was an Audi A6.

kf0rt
01-13-2012, 10:09 PM
It costs a bit more, but the car that really impressed me in weather was an Audi A6.

Audi is way outta my league.

Just bought new rubber for my '07 Altima (newest thing we own). Seems to get me to work and back and for the bad days, have a '99 Blazer 4x4 with ABS (wife's car). I've done 180's in both. On Federal Blvd. (Jeff & Dave will get that).

Best to stay home.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Just bought new rubber for my '07 Altima (newest thing we own). Seems to get me to work and back and for the bad days, have a '99 Blazer 4x4 with ABS (wife's car). I've done 180's in both. On Federal Blvd. (Jeff & Dave will get that).

Best to stay home.
Best to stay home.
Just saying, I was really impressed with the way the A6 not only handled just in regular driving but the way it transitioned from say, pavement to grass to gravel to mud. You could actually feel the surefootedness.
Can't say what it would have done on slick ice but my impressions were that it had a better chance than most.

KB3LAZ
01-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Best to stay home.

I dont like ABS. Sure your dont skid but you sure as hell dont stop.

kf0rt
01-13-2012, 11:13 PM
I dont like ABS. Sure your dont skid but you sure as hell dont stop.

It's basically a controlled skid. Static vs. dynamic friction and all that. It doesn't make up for driving skills, though.

KB3LAZ
01-13-2012, 11:27 PM
It's basically a controlled skid. Static vs. dynamic friction and all that. It doesn't make up for driving skills, though.

I just dont trust them. They make all kinds of funny noises etc...I had to look a bit but when I bought a new car I got it without ABS. Then again, I dont like automatic trans either. Lol...Im picky with everything.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I just dont trust them. They make all kinds of funny noises etc...I had to look a bit but when I bought a new car I got it without ABS. Then again, I dont like automatic trans either. Lol...Im picky with everything.
I wonder if there are any cigar rolling factories in Spain?

KB3LAZ
01-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I wonder if there are any cigar rolling factories in Spain?

Rhetorical?

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Rhetorical?

Well, you could get a blend and style made to you exact specs.

W1GUH
01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
FWIW, this is why I drive a 20-year-old Toyota Celica with 200k on it.

Toyota Service is very, very good. I've been with my current dealer, Toyota of Westchester for the 18 years I've owned the car and I have no complaints or even slightly "off" comments about them. The mechanics are all superb, and the guys who write you up really know the cars and WILL deal with you when appropriate. By now, I've only had to replace rubber under the hood. Rubber deteriorates and seals start leaking. I've replaced a lot of it, most notably the rubber that's internal to the engine. Yea, it was expensive, but the work was done perfectly. In short, that car runs almost better than it did at 2 years old.

Hyundai Sonatas have become my rental car of choice when I travel on business. Those are darned nice cars & they make it look like Hyundai makes some great vehicles. Just wonder what they'll be like at the age of my Celica?

OK...yes, I recommend Toyota. After this many years (actually longer, my first was a '72 beater Celica I got in '78 & spent a lot of time with in the backyard), and no complaints about the cars, their reliability, or parts and service...how can I not?

KB3LAZ
01-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Well, you could get a blend and style made to you exact specs.

Oh, I like more than a few made the way they are. :D Most Cuban cigars actually come from Spain and always have. A good deal of hand rolled there too. What's nice is the price. Can go to the tobacconist and pick up a Cohiba for about 3€.

KG4CGC
01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Oh, I like more than a few made the way they are. :D Most Cuban cigars actually come from Spain and always have. A good deal of hand rolled there too. What's nice is the price. Can go to the tobacconist and pick up a Cohiba for about 3€.

Well, you know, since you're picky and all. I've been blending some pipe tobacco. Picky. Not all pipe tobacco is sugar cased. Some can even be smoked in a wrapper like a cigarette. Again, picky.

NQ6U
01-14-2012, 01:01 AM

What, you think he's married to my wife??

W5GA
01-14-2012, 01:14 AM
The vehicle I'm impressed with in wx is my F-350 dually 4x4. High enough so I can see, big enough so people usually try to stay outta my way.

KB3LAZ
01-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Well, you know, since you're picky and all. I've been blending some pipe tobacco. Picky. Not all pipe tobacco is sugar cased. Some can even be smoked in a wrapper like a cigarette. Again, picky.

Interesting.

KC9ECI
01-14-2012, 08:13 AM
The vehicle I'm impressed with in wx is my F-350 dually 4x4. High enough so I can see, big enough so people usually try to stay outta my way.

While it's not a dually, I like my Dodge for pretty much the same reasons.

http://youtu.be/FnVXuyFx_RY

NQ6U
01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
http://forums.hamisland.net/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by W5GA http://forums.hamisland.net/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?p=400710#post400710)

While it's not a dually, I like my Dodge for pretty much the same reasons.

Wimpy little things. Now this is a truck:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/04/automobiles/04wheels480.jpg

Can't drive it without an air brake endorsement your your license but, of course, all real men have one of those. Right?

K7SGJ
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM

Can't drive it without an air brake endorsement your your license but, of course, all real men have one of those. Right?

HA ! I delivered your truck in the back of MY truck.

NQ6U
01-14-2012, 10:02 AM
HA ! I delivered your truck in the back of MY truck.

Well, one of these is my daily driver:

http://www.tesofkc.com/tes-news-and-events/uploaded_images/2005-Freightliner-Columbia-797518.jpg

K7SGJ
01-14-2012, 10:03 AM
That's cheating.

NQ6U
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
That's cheating.

But true none the less. I mean, it's not mine, but I drive it every day.

W7XF
01-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, one of these is my daily driver:

http://www.tesofkc.com/tes-news-and-events/uploaded_images/2005-Freightliner-Columbia-797518.jpg

Carlo... my daily driver is a Columbia, too!!!! Except mine has the S60 Detroit in it.

HUGH
01-14-2012, 12:27 PM

I have a Forester and find it easy for DIY repairs though very few have been required. It passes for a smallish car on sea ferries so keeping the fare down and yet has never stuck in snow or, worse still, on muddy hillsides. I only managed to ground it where some bright spark had concealed fallen timber in the undergrowth at the side of a track but it still didn't get stuck.

Many European-made cars have ridiculous build requiring you to either take them to a dealer for simple things like an oil change or to remove wheels and liners simply to change a light bulb. There's always the tendency to buy a beemer amongst the noveau-riche here but I've seen a number awaitng the tow-truck now and I'm told they cost a fortune to service.

KB3LAZ
01-14-2012, 12:59 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRttX5_7NxxiTFeLJwB-Ld5Rjh220elws0Y-junDdtyaYIX4-893g

Its ugly but this is what I will be driving. More or less. Opel astra.

W7XF
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
:rock::-PGo for the gusto, Travis.... have a F350 dually diesel shipped over....then you'll own the road!!! :rock::-P

W5GA
01-14-2012, 02:57 PM

I actually got to drive one of those briefly back in the day. I've never seen a more useless "pickup", ever. To put a goose neck or 5th wheel trailer on it, you'd have to take the sides of the bed off with a sawzall cuz the damn thing sits so high. To use the receiver hitch, you needed an insert with about a 14" drop. It had a little LCD screen by the gear selector hooked to a camera in the rear bumper, cuz you couldn't see anything behind you. The full time 4wd was kinda cool, though. Came with an Allison, and an IC DT-466 diesel. The interior was EXTREMELY cheesy. The bed came right from Ford - it's for an F-350.

W7XF
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Actually, Carlo... I think that truck requires a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement. As well as many of those Prevost/MCI based motorhomes. (surprise, surprise!) And, if you tow anything with those, you need a Class A CDL.

W5GA
01-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Actually, Carlo... I think that truck requires a Class B CDL with air brake endorsement. As well as many of those Prevost/MCI based motorhomes. (surprise, surprise!) And, if you tow anything with those, you need a Class A CDL.
I believe the GVWR was 25,999 just to avoid that.

W7XF
01-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I believe the GVWR was 25,999 just to avoid that.
Yeah... but the air brakes trumps that.

w2amr
01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I just dont trust them. They make all kinds of funny noises etc...I had to look a bit but when I bought a new car I got it without ABS. Then again, I dont like automatic trans either. Lol...Im picky with everything.Most people panic and lock the brakes up. When you lock em up on wet pavement , you might as well throw the steering wheel out the window.

WØTKX
01-14-2012, 05:17 PM
For camping, somewhere in Spain...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110523205326/tractors/images/8/84/Opel_blitz_pritsche_1_sst.jpg

kf0rt
01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Whatever happened to the Kenworth Pilgrimage (http://www.bikeforest.com/kenworth_pilgrimage.php)?

W3WN
01-14-2012, 06:14 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRttX5_7NxxiTFeLJwB-Ld5Rjh220elws0Y-junDdtyaYIX4-893g

Its ugly but this is what I will be driving. More or less. Opel astra.I've seen worse.

KG4CGC
01-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Saw a few of those back when they were a penis extension status symbol when some fools were driving them to be the biggest. Never once saw one ever hauling or pulling anything but like mentioned earlier, they don't match standard trailers.
I think the trend lasted a whole 6 months.

W5GA
01-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Saw a few of those back when they were a penis extension status symbol when some fools were driving them to be the biggest. Never once saw one ever hauling or pulling anything but like mentioned earlier, they don't match standard trailers.
I think the trend lasted a whole 6 months.
At a $100k+ a pop, that wasn't surprise.