PDA

View Full Version : The art of the delayed call when in a pile-up

KJ3N
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
V5/DJ2HD @ 21:48 on 14.310/315 with 10 watts (on the 40m loop) from the IC-703. :rofl: :rofl:

KC9ECI
01-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I do that all the time. Gotta love the 703.

KJ3N
01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
And yet Pat, WA6MHZ, can't bust a grape without his SB220. :rofl: :rofl:

W2NAP
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
i heard norway on 15 a bit earlier..... never had a chance by the time the noise dropped he was gone.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 05:31 PM
All those radios and Pat's running shorted Rat Shack coax while he has spools of quality stuff he can't get to in his garage.

KC9ECI
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
I'll also put my call out in no particular hurry unlike some of the apparently retired auctioneers that can rattle off a call in under a 10th of a second.

PA5COR
01-13-2012, 06:11 PM
With an accent and then you know how difficult it is sometimes for us foreigners to copy that call ....

W5GA
01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
CW has no accent.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
CW has no accent.
Sometimes, it does have kind of a, ring to it. :)

W3WN
01-13-2012, 06:19 PM
And yet Pat, WA6MHZ, can't bust a grape without his SB220. :rofl: :rofl:Skill trumps raw power.

W2NAP
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
With an accent and then you know how difficult it is sometimes for us foreigners to copy that call ....

never thought about that. I have a hard time with non-english speaking nations understanding them with the accent.

W5GA
01-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Sometimes it can also help to be slightly off freq.

KC2UGV
01-13-2012, 11:57 PM
All those radios and Pat's running shorted Rat Shack coax while he has spools of quality stuff he can't get to in his garage.

Even with shorted rat shack cable, he should be able to work more than he claims. I use "shorted rat shack" cabling...

KC2UGV
01-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Sometimes it can also help to be slightly off freq.

Up, or down? :lol:

W5GA
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Up, or down? :lol:
I've used both, but I believe up has been a bit more successful. ;)

W7XF
01-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Even with shorted rat shack cable, he should be able to work more than he claims. I use "shorted rat shack" cabling...

And yet Pat, WA6MHZ, can't bust a grape without his SB220. :rofl: :rofl:

Pat can't work his next door neighbour with less than 1500W. I've busted many a pileup with my 100W.

And, isn't RatShack's poor excuse for coax too spendy for 'MHZ????? :chin:

kb2vxa
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Like Felix I have my bag of tricks. Once upon a time I spent more than half an hour trying to answer the DX call and finally he came back. When he said he was only answering the big guns and only answered me was to get rid of a pest I chuckled to myself and said "See? Persistence pays off, TNX & 73." and signed.

"And, isn't RatShack's poor excuse for coax too spendy for 'MHZ?????"
Could be why he's using a bunch of old extension cords plugged together wrapped with aluminium foil left over from making his hat.

N7YA
01-14-2012, 06:39 PM
CW has no accent.

Yep!

It does have a 'swing' to it when the op has a straight key or bug, however. I have have gotten to the point of knowing who is calling in the pileup, or CQing before they send their call. :lol: Its a great mode, more people should try it.

The delayed call is a good tactic, i use it to drop in between the calls of the KW's because im a piss-ant. I often times bag them as a result.

As for sending very slowly, you want to be careful of that in a pile with rare DX. When he is on a roll, he will run right by you when he can work 3 stations in the time it would take to work one slow one. He may have only a very limited time on site to work a few hundred thousand stations. That, along with all the coffee he is likely chugging down, his brain is going a million miles per hour.

Timing is important in other ways too. Right now, HK0NA, Malpelo, is on. I have been chasing Malpelo for 25 years, but im not calling him for a couple of reasons. The operation is still new, the pileups are fierce and loud. I will wait for the demand to subside a little, around the middle of the operation, then look for them at the gray line and try my luck. At this point, its a goddamned zoo! There are about 3000 KW stations screaming at him, he is covered up by no less than 10 stations either calling on his frequency or sending "UP LID" over and over again, not too mention that 2 kc is not far enough away to not be covered up by his own legit pileup (i blame my outdated filters for that too). Then the odd oblivious noob in the states who decides to call a long, slow CQ right on his calling freq. And then the pussy sociopaths who have nothing better to do than send a string of dits, tune up, or pretend to be the DX and send reports, or just pretend to be a noob and send really slowly with nonsense like "TOO FAST PLEASE SLOW DOWN QRZ?". Ill wait for the circus to leave town.

By the way, even if you dont generally do DX, try for Malpelo. Its a good card to have and they are relatively close enough for most of NA to get.

N7YA
01-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Skill trumps raw power.

Absolutely!! :yes:

N7YA
01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Like Felix I have my bag of tricks. Once upon a time I spent more than half an hour trying to answer the DX call and finally he came back. When he said he was only answering the big guns and only answered me was to get rid of a pest I chuckled to myself and said "See? Persistence pays off, TNX & 73." and signed.

Please tell me the call of that station. Thats fucked up. I hate assholes like that.

kb2vxa
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
IM1AH? Sorry, I don't remember all the DX I worked at the DC to light station in West Creek with an Extra for a control op but I remember the time I called into the bathroom asking where a certain prefix was and he bolted naked out of the shower, grabbed the mic and left puddles all over the place. He got a special nickname that day, I'll leave that to your imagination. (;->)

"Skill trumps raw power."
Amen to that, once while using the Collins setup I switched on the KWS-1 in a vain attempt to bust through the Kalifornia Kilowatt Kurtain, turned it off never to be put on hot standby again.

KJ3N
01-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Once upon a time I spent more than half an hour trying to answer the DX call and finally he came back. When he said he was only answering the big guns and only answered me was to get rid of a pest I chuckled to myself and said "See? Persistence pays off, TNX & 73." and signed.
Thats fucked up. I hate assholes like that.

Seriously fucked up.

On the rare times I'm on the receiving end of a pile, I've made really loud people wait while I worked weaker stations. The loud ones will be there; the weak ones need special care.

KC9ECI
01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
I like the guys that stop occasionally and ask if there are any QRP or mobile stations.

KJ3N
01-15-2012, 11:16 AM
V5/DJ2HD @ 21:48 on 14.310/315 with 10 watts (on the 40m loop) from the IC-703. :rofl: :rofl:

OK, this time I cheated:

V5/DJ2HD @ 16:12 on 21.270 with 10 watts from the IC-703, but on the 4-element 15m mono-bander. :snicker:

BTW, 17, 15, and 12 have been pretty busy this morning. :agree:

kb2vxa
01-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Right guys, from the beginning I've always tried my best to live up to the phonetics someone gave to me AT the beginning. At the risk of sounding as vain as my avatar it's Very Xcellent Amateur. Trouble is on those rare occasions on 6M (on HF NJ isn't rare) at the bottom of the dog pile it's hard to get enough ID on the piss weakers to let them know it's their turn. Top dogs are tough to deal with but this cat has his tricks on the receiving end too. (;->)

Oh and BTW, flip back and notice the tactful yet snotty way I quipped back to the alpha hotel without coming right out with what I was thinking. Tact is the art of telling someone to go to hell and watch him leave with a smile on his face.

N7YA
01-15-2012, 06:52 PM
VXA on ssb with the standard phonetics seems like it would work just fine, you would obviously know more than i would since you are the one using it in the piles. :lol: It sounds out quite nicely to my ear.

Yankee Alpha, on the other hand, is almost always followed by Yokohama America because they usually hear "Whiskey Alpha?". Funny thing, the best is when i simply say "Y A". (or use CW, rarely busted there)

As for clever phonetics, the best i can come up with is N 7 You Asshole...it will get the DX's attention, but not his card.

W5GA
01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
OK, this time I cheated:

V5/DJ2HD @ 16:12 on 21.270 with 10 watts from the IC-703, but on the 4-element 15m mono-bander. :snicker:

Decent antennas make up for a whole slew of other annoying issues!! :clap:

kb2vxa
01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
"...N 7 You Asshole...it will get the DX's attention, but not his card."

Attention yes, a comeback no, QSL... fogidabowdit. Stick with Yokohama America, DX almost always uses well known place names because those military phonetics are exclusively American military, somehow adopted by American hams. Whiskey Alpha? Sounds like first cut of a bootleg still, the stuff they throw away. (;->)

KG4CGC
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Ever since this thread was posted, in my own dyslexic and twisted way of thinking, I keep reading the title as:
"The Art of Delayed Gratification."

OK. Thank You. That's out of my system now.

N7YA
01-16-2012, 05:47 PM
"...N 7 You Asshole...it will get the DX's attention, but not his card."

Attention yes, a comeback no, QSL... fogidabowdit. Stick with Yokohama America, DX almost always uses well known place names because those military phonetics are exclusively American military, somehow adopted by American hams. Whiskey Alpha? Sounds like first cut of a bootleg still, the stuff they throw away. (;->)

Thats what i settled on. Yankee Alpha are phonetics for top notch conditions, which i havent seen a ton of lately. It would be easier if it were Whiskey Alpha, what ham doesnt like to drink? (besides me....and other hams that dont drink...i digress)

W2NAP
01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
If I would have been a extra when I got my vanity I would have totally went with _#FU

N7YA
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
If I would have been a extra when I got my vanity I would have totally went with _#FU

I wanted that too, but they were all taken. Cant blame them.

I dunno...I see your call and think of my favorite root beer. So theres that.

W2NAP
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I wanted that too, but they were all taken. Cant blame them.

I dunno...I see your call and think of my favorite root beer. So theres that.

ive gotten that a few times. also this call has gotten the attention of someone who worked at WIBC 1070AM (defunct per-say as its now IBC 93.1)

N7YA
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
ive gotten that a few times. also this call has gotten the attention of someone who worked at WIBC 1070AM (defunct per-say as its now IBC 93.1)

You would definately be first in line as prez and trustee of their ham club.

If you so desired, of course.