PDA

View Full Version : Have to eat some crow here...

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 12:26 AM
About my former opinions of the big, bad pharmaceuticals. What I'm taking to fight chemo side effects are pretty much magic. One is an emesis that mercifully, really, really works well. The other gives me a high that's better than drinking and/or smoking pot -- only without the bad parts. Well, OK, the only bad part of pot is it's illegal here, granted...

Don't want to post the specific names here -- this is a public forum and I don't really want to advertise. PM me if you want specifics & to compare notes about this.

And granted, in my current condition long-term side effects aren't an issue. But these do seem like miracle drugs that I'm very grateful for.

BTW...fourth chemo today...wearing a bottle for a couple of days...and still, all's great. My energy level has been very, very high and so far...all's great.

Next scan is in a couple of weeks. Crossing my fingers that it's good news. Evidence is that it will be. I feel what feels like significant shrinkage of the tumor. If that's the case...

NA4BH
01-12-2012, 12:31 AM
All sounds great! Keep the positive attitude and the energy flowing, that's half the battle.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks. Words like that really make that an easy thing to do!

NA4BH
01-12-2012, 12:39 AM
So, how is your "new" family treating you?

KG4CGC
01-12-2012, 12:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbmQQ4RfzVE

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Don't know what you mean by "new" family, but if you're talking about Memorial Sloan-Kettering plus the community of current and former cancer patients that's come out of the woodwork to offer support , well, about as wonderfully as any family could ever treat a new member. The positive energy is everywhere and makes it easy.

NA4BH
01-12-2012, 12:50 AM
That's the family I'm talking about. I'm smiling for you right now.

NQ6U
01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Good news, Paul, glad it's working for you.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Oh, stop that....you're going to make me...well, you know....um..er...well, there's a smily thingie for that. :cry: Well, no, that's not quite right...should be one of those with a big smile. Well, at least I didn't have to use the word!

SARCASM Don't stop! It's wondeful.

But I gotta remember dear Albi. Had a friend give me some comforting words about that. It's probable that his journey into the unknown was peaceful and pain-free. And I gotta believe that, with the life he lived, his acceptance came easily. FWIW.

RIP, Albi.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 01:02 AM

Thank you, Charles.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Good news, Paul, glad it's working for you.

Thank you, Carl.

NA4BH
01-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Thank you, Charles.

Charles wrote that song if you didn't know. :rofl:

It was originally titled "Keep the Fajita Side Up".

KB3LAZ
01-12-2012, 01:11 AM
I am glad that things are going well for you and that you are in high spirits. I have lost many close people to me due to cancer and have spent a great deal of time in treatment centers. Many of the people there are astounding. As they will tell you, your being in high spirits will help. Regardless of medical science, it helps! Keep us posted bro, you got this!

As for your title. It made me think of a song I rather like. Not sure if it will fit your style but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_hyHSZ7bQw

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 02:30 AM
I am glad that things are going well for you and that you are in high spirits. I have lost many close people to me due to cancer and have spent a great deal of time in treatment centers. Many of the people there are astounding. As they will tell you, your being in high spirits will help. Regardless of medical science, it helps! Keep us posted bro, you got this!

As for your title. It made me think of a song I rather like. Not sure if it will fit your style but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_hyHSZ7bQw

Very, very sorry to of those you know who are no longer with us. Gotta be tough. When I was in the hospital I heard two patients being interviewed who were much worse off than I was. Very sobering...but seeing how they were treated by their loved ones and everyone at the center reflects what you said up there. My sincere condolences and sympathies.

As for the song...it's a new one for me & I had to look up the lyrics. I think I see why you thought of it. As for style...YES!!!!!...I NEEDED a good shot of great metal (even tho' Mesa Boogies eat Marshalls for breakfast! ;) ) As for my title -- that was chosen by the Island....but seem muy fitting now. What prescience!

As they will tell you, your being in high spirits will help. Regardless of medical science, it helps!

Exactly why good, supportive words & prayers work so well. Makes it easy to stay positive.

'Scuse me now....just go something in my eye & it's hard to see.

KG4CGC
01-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Charles wrote that song if you didn't know. :rofl:

It was originally titled "Keep the Fajita Side Up".

That was back when dinosaurs roam ... Well, you know.

K7SGJ
01-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Glad to hear the treament is going so well. I think a Luau down at the beach is in order. I'll bring a dead pig, you bring the pipe and the hemp.

N2CHX
01-12-2012, 07:21 AM
I've apparently not read enough around here lately because I didn't know about your diagnosis. I'm glad it's working well for you and wish you everything positive as you journey through this.

And BTW, crow can be delicious. I've eaten enough of it in my lifetime that I've learned how to season it just right.

N8YX
01-12-2012, 07:33 AM
What everyone else said. I am VERY glad you got connected with the right physician and the proper healing regimen. :yes:

rot
01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Good Deal Paul.
Wish you the best OM.
Rock on a long long time.
rot

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I've apparently not read enough around here lately because I didn't know about your diagnosis. I'm glad it's working well for you and wish you everything positive as you journey through this.

And BTW, crow can be delicious. I've eaten enough of it in my lifetime that I've learned how to season it just right.

I understand the crows are among the most intelligent creatures. Couldn't eat one for that reason; like octopusses!

Thanks for the nice words -- everything IS going very well, about as well as they could. Tolerating chemo very well & I'm feeling better than I have in a long, long time.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 08:31 AM
What everyone else said. I am VERY glad you got connected with the right physician and the proper healing regimen. :yes:

Thanks! But especially thanks for all the good Drake Info!

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Good Deal Paul.
Wish you the best OM.
Rock on a long long time.
rot

Thanks, rot. Always good to get good energy sent my way. Makes it very easy to maintain a positive outlook.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Glad to hear the treament is going so well. I think a Luau down at the beach is in order. I'll bring a dead pig, you bring the pipe and the hemp.

Gotcha!....this afternoon! Well, morning. Well, right now!

W5GA
01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Well, when you get the news that the tumor is gone - the party's on me! And I'm sure you'll get that news very soon, now.

w3bny
01-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Keep fighting OM! Thinking about ya!

KC2UGV
01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, when you get the news that the tumor is gone - the party's on me! And I'm sure you'll get that news very soon, now.

Here's to hoping it's soon :)

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks! Right now what I want to hear is the spots on my liver are shrinking or -- do I dare say it so soon -- gone? There's scant likelyhood of full remission, but there's high probability of keeping it under good control indifinetly.

Thanks again.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Keep fighting OM! Thinking about ya!

Thanks, Ren. You're a furry, so the warm fuzzies are especially nice from you!

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Here's to hoping it's soon :)

Thanks, Cory. "What I said to 'GA" wrt "soon."

kf0rt
01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
With all the bad news these days, it's really cool to read about the good.

Keep swingin', Paul. We're rootin' for ya.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
With all the bad news these days, it's really cool to read about the good.

Keep swingin', Paul. We're rootin' for ya.

Thank you!

W3WN
01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Fantastic news.

Looking forward to your next trainspotting trip to Pittsburgh, enroute to Hamvention of course. (You think I don't know that's why you picked a hotel right next to the CSX ex-P&LE mainline?)

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Dunno about Dayton -- something about that town that feels like a wet, heavy blanket on me, so I'm less than enthused about going to the hamvention -- but I'd be very much interested in a getaway to Pittsburgh. Enjoyed myself lots when I was there -- but it was too short. Besides, I want to see that that Swan in a car (not necessarily in motion).

Who me? Book right by a mainline? Naw!!!!

Yes!!!!! Especially with Station Square a great walk away. Also, next time I've GOT to get to Dormont.

Now...my assignment this year is to get you up to Deerfield. Between that and Dayton, IMHO Deerfield is best by a long shot. From the NE scenery to the fairgrounds where its held, to the opportunity to camp out overnight there, to the huge (dunno if it's actually comparable to Dayton, but it's close to "too big"), to the great NE ham tradition, it's a MUST! And I dare say the drive from Pittsburgh to NH is a whole lot more scenic than the flat farmlands of Ohio! Oh, and the lack of para-military equipped and trained LEO's.

W3WN
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Dunno about Dayton -- something about that town that feels like a wet, heavy blanket on me, so I'm less than enthused about going to the hamvention -- but I'd be very much interested in a getaway to Pittsburgh. Enjoyed myself lots when I was there -- but it was too short. Besides, I want to see that that Swan in a car (not necessarily in motion).

Who me? Book right by a mainline? Naw!!!!

Yes!!!!! Especially with Station Square a great walk away. Also, next time I've GOT to get to Dormont.

Now...my assignment this year is to get you up to Deerfield. Between that and Dayton, IMHO Deerfield is best by a long shot. From the NE scenery to the fairgrounds where its held, to the opportunity to camp out overnight there, to the huge (dunno if it's actually comparable to Dayton, but it's close to "too big"), to the great NE ham tradition, it's a MUST! And I dare say the drive from Pittsburgh to NH is a whole lot more scenic than the flat farmlands of Ohio! Oh, and the lack of para-military equipped and trained LEO's.Oh? What's in Dormont?

...actually, you can walk over to Station Square, pick up the "T" Light Rail Red Line, and that will take you right into the heart of downtown Dormont...

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Personal thing. In '58 (I was 10) we took a Memorial day trip to visit a family we were friends with and that had moved to Pittsburgh and lived in Dormont. Had a really nice visiting with them -- there were two boys my age & we really got along. Never saw them again. The architecture there was fascinating & I'd just like to try and find a street that at least looks something like what I'd see. One of the boys played Little League ball & we went to a game. Wonder if that park still exists.

What's the chance for Deerfield?

kf0rt
01-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Personal thing. In '58 (I was 10) we took a Memorial day trip to visit a family we were friends with and that had moved to Pittsburgh and lived in Dormont. Had a really nice visiting with them -- there were two boys my age & we really got along. Never say them again. The architecture there was fascinating & I'd just like to try and find a street that at least looks somehting like what I'd see. One of the boys played Little League ball & we went to a game. Wonder if that park still exists.

What's the chance for Deerfield?

Have you ever tried to find it with Google StreetView, Paul? (Swear, I could spend hours on that...)

w2amr
01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Good luck Paul, we are all pulling for you.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Good luck Paul, we are all pulling for you.

Thanks for the nice, supportive words. They work wonders.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Have you ever tried to find it with Google StreetView, Paul? (Swear, I could spend hours on that...)

I can, and do, too! Yea, I've studied Google earth and streetview. Found a few streets with the architecture I'm looking for. Haven't found a Little League field that look like what I remember, tho'. Of course, that was what, 54 years ago, already. Probably a defunct strip mall by now!

KA9MOT
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Damn Paul, I really hope you get to feeling better.

W1GUH
01-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Damn Paul, I really hope you get to feeling better.

Thanks. I'm happy to say that the dominant trend is that I feel better every day.

W3WN
01-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Personal thing. In '58 (I was 10) we took a Memorial day trip to visit a family we were friends with and that had moved to Pittsburgh and lived in Dormont. Had a really nice visiting with them -- there were two boys my age & we really got along. Never saw them again. The architecture there was fascinating & I'd just like to try and find a street that at least looks something like what I'd see. One of the boys played Little League ball & we went to a game. Wonder if that park still exists.

What's the chance for Deerfield?I need to find out more about Deerfield & figure out transportation issues. Hadn't really thought about it at all until you just mentioned it. To be honest, Dayton is the only hamfest-type event that I normally go to outside of the local area, for a variety of reasons. Besides, the boss is wanting to make more trips to DC this year to visit the grandson, so I have to factor that into the equation as well.

Dormont is a relatively small community, and it's pretty much saturated. The only time there's new construction is when something is torn down to make room. There are at least two parks in Dormont I can think of... I have a hunch that the one you're thinking of had a big swimming pool nearby? Conveniently enough, that's Dormont Pool, located in Dormont Park.

Anyway, it's small enough that you can do a walking tour, see most of it in an afternoon. And being right on the LRT Red Line, it's easy enough to get to from Station Square.

W1GUH
01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the Dormont info, Ron. Sometime this spring I'll cruise out to Pittsburgh -- had a good time there last year, just too short!

Deerfield info...

Usual plan is to arrive Fri. afternoon and camp out there. If camping isn't your thing, there are a bunch of hotels in Manchester & that's an easy drive up to the fairgrounds, but camping is preferred, IMHO. It's always great to be there all night as the vendors show up. Always lots of goodies to browse through. It's pretty much over by noon on Saturday.

Much more informal than Dayton, and far, far more scenic -- both there and the drive. NH and NE in general are very pretty that time of year, but, being NE, the weather can be dicey. The fairgrounds site is wooded -- most vendors are in the woods. But usually, luck has held for the Spring Deerfield.

It's a very friendly fester, and lots of food vendors are around for whatever you fancy, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hope to see you there one of these years. That goes for all others reading this, too.

It's BIG -- probably not as big as Dayton, but in the same league. Major vendors are there...and I believe I've seen the manufacturers, too. I kinda remember an Icom display. I don't pay a lot of attention to those...I'm usually focused on vintage stuff & the individual sellers.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the Dormont info, Ron. Sometime this spring I'll cruise out to Pittsburgh -- had a good time there last year, just too short!

Deerfield info...

Usual plan is to arrive Fri. afternoon and camp out there. If camping isn't your thing, there are a bunch of hotels in Manchester & that's an easy drive up to the fairgrounds, but camping is preferred, IMHO. It's always great to be there all night as the vendors show up. Always lots of goodies to browse through. It's pretty much over by noon on Saturday.

Much more informal than Dayton, and far, far more scenic -- both there and the drive. NH and NE in general are very pretty that time of year, but, being NE, the weather can be dicey. The fairgrounds site is wooded -- most vendors are in the woods. But usually, luck has held for the Spring Deerfield.

It's a very friendly fester, and lots of food vendors are around for whatever you fancy, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hope to see you there one of these years. That goes for all others reading this, too.

It's BIG -- probably not as big as Dayton, but in the same league. Major vendors are there...and I believe I've seen the manufacturers, too. I kinda remember an Icom display. I don't pay a lot of attention to those...I'm usually focused on vintage stuff & the individual sellers.

That looks just like Shelby when it was held at the old fairgrounds.

W3WN
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, if I was footloose, fancy free, independently wealthly and with time on my hands... I'd head up there in a second.

[Yeah, right. Bullshnitz, I'd be down at the bars looking for loose women who are easily bribed]

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Well, if I was footloose, fancy free, independently wealthly and with time on my hands... I'd head up there in a second.

[Yeah, right. Bullshnitz, I'd be down at the bars looking for loose women who are easily bribed]

He said as he twirled the ends of his waxed mustache.

K7SGJ
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I knew a woman so loose, she drug her insides around when she walked.

KG4CGC
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I knew a woman so loose, she drug her insides around when she walked.

Was she related to Satan?

W1GUH
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Deerfield is a lot less money than Dayton.