PDA

View Full Version : Marathon, NY this Saturday

W1GUH
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Yippee! That hamfest season has begun. Marathon, NY on Saturday, 1/14. (http://www.skylineradioclub.org/node/58)

Mobiling out Friday afternoon to Binghampton. Also to the hamfest Sat. morning, but that's a short trip and B4 ECARS gets started. Any hams in the area, c'mon out. As usual, an HT tuned to .52 in my pocket.

Also, will be checking RR possibilities there. Will probably visit Sayre, PA after the hamfest and also scouting that mainline that runs throught the southerh tier....mobiling all the way. Probably won't have the TR-7; will want to save space for that treasure I find (or not) at the fester. No, that's BS....there's always room for a treasure. Besides, I could never not have the Drake now. I'm hooked on it.

K7SGJ
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
If you see any Bird wattmeter slugs for 2-30, make a mental note and let me know what they are going for. I'm having a lot of trouble turning loose of the $$ most people are getting for them used. For a few $$ more I could buy new. The fest in Yuma is coming up in Feb., and there should be a lot of folks from the west coast there. Maybe I'll find something at that one.

I'd call you on .52, by my vhf duct is back ordered.

W1GUH
01-11-2012, 11:37 PM
If you give me a price range of what you're looking for & PM me your phone number, I'll be happy to call you if I see what you want. In any event I'll make a note of what you ask and check out.

This looks like a small, local fester -- prime place to find reasonable prices.

I'd suggest going out and buying a role of duct tape and roll you own duct!

Cheers!

K7SGJ
01-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I'm back in the comparing mode at the moment. Actually, I pretty much use one of the service moniors for accurate measurements, and the bird for portable use. I could continue to use an inexpensive bridge for HF, but since I have a couple of Bird units, I may as well put them use for more than vhf/uhf.

The duct tape didn't do well. All the rf got stuck on the sticky stuff.

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I'm back in the comparing mode at the moment. Actually, I pretty much use one of the service moniors for accurate measurements, and the bird for portable use. I could continue to use an inexpensive bridge for HF, but since I have a couple of Bird units, I may as well put them use for more than vhf/uhf.

The duct tape didn't do well. All the rf got stuck on the sticky stuff.

Outside In!!! Outside In!!! Helps with mounting, too!

W1GUH
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Changed my plans for the better. Staying over 2 nights in Binghamton, so I'll be in the mobile all day and into the night from the parking lot on Saturday. Then, early Sunday on the way home.

W1GUH
01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Headed out the door now. Hope to hear from some of you tomorrow. Will be online tonight from the hotel.

W1GUH
01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Here I am in Binghamton for the hamfest tomorrow. Couldn't transmit on the way up -- I've got some contact cleaning to do in the Drake -- but that gave me the opportunity to do a lot of SWL'ing on the way up. (GAWD! I love the sound of that rx -- especially through the car audio system. Sounds like I've got one of those great vintage consoles in the car!)

Listened a bit to Voice of Russia on 7250. Heard some very interesting things from their point of view that I'll be posting in the political forum. The two major topics were Syria and the video about how some corpses were treated.

So...I may or may not be on the air tomorrow, at least in the morning. I can fix the radio here, and probably will, but not tonight. It's freakin' COLD up here and I'm all cozy in my room.

K7SGJ
01-14-2012, 10:38 AM
You always carry a burnishing tool with you?

W1GUH
01-14-2012, 12:20 PM
No, but pulling 'em out and putting 'em back in...maybe a pencil eraser might do the trick. Since I didn't bring a back-up gotta try everything!

Been up and back to the hamfest. Small, but there we some gems...

Bencher paddle...$25. Now I've got on for the car. CW mobile here I come!

NOS 6146A's.......$15@ I got spares, does anyone have a burning need for a pair? Slyania in the box.

Great old Weston Volt meter. Nice, classic look - $8. Pix later when I bring up the loot.

Looks like this, only 3 scales, 7.5v, 100v (I think), 750 volts. Great for a BA!

http://www.quietelectronics.com/Kentucky-/Used-/Antique-weston-dc-voltmeter-0-30-vdc-mirrored-scale-image_photos-1.jpg

But...no de-oxit. Must be an RS around here; they're everywhere.

Pretty drive - snow here, but the roads are nice and clear.

W1GUH
01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
The booty: (Bencher too heavy to carry up here!)

The building: