PDA

View Full Version : Another R7000

N8YX
01-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Had a guy on the Yahoo R7000 list post a request for a PLL Board part - seems he cracked the core in one of the tunable inductors during an alignment. Several of us volunteered to help...but he got frustrated and stated he was going to put the rig on eBay.

Fast-forward: I see the listing. And it has the remote board!

I had an ace in the hole, so to say: Got hold of a pair of R7000s a while ago via the R7000 list. One was in great shape, the other's display was out. I then picked up a minty R7000 off eBay right before Christmas and used the PLL board from the junker to get it working...so I had a non-operational PLL board with the coil that was required to get the listed rig running.

That is, IF I won it.

Which I did. For just $25 more than a lone RC-12 remote accessory recently fetched! :shock:

Rig arrived today and I tore into it this evening. Extracting the L39 coils - good and bad - was the proverbial sonova^&$%#. Finally got the working part soldered into place, installed and wired the PLL board...lo and behold, it works!

There is one more CJF455K5 filter in the stash and I think I'm going to modify the IF board in the new receiver to accommodate the better quality filter before I throw the case back on.

Given the fact the R7000s are still fetching $500 and up, I don't mind breaking out the soldering iron when I can get my hands on a nice junker.

WØTKX
01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Is there a 12 step program for this? :stickpoke:

I'm still working on getting permission to run a station at my YL's place. There is enough room for a switchable 80 meter Moxon project.

Or a 2WL loop on 160. And space for other goodies, like the GAP Challenger I bought two months ago that is not put up.

PA5COR
01-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Congrats!!!

I'm still working on getting permission to run a station at my YL's place. There is enough room for a switchable 80 meter Moxon project.

I heard somewhere a bunch of flowers might do the trick.
I don't have the problems, i just put the antenna's up.

( Sorry dear, won't happen again, this is REALLY the last one i put up ( fingers crossed behind my back)) ;)

NQ6U
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
My XYL has gone from "you're not going to put up one of those great big things, are you?" when I first got my ticket to "Are you going to put up a tower one of these days? You'd get out better if you had a yagi." No real effort on my part involved beyond educating her about how propagation works.

N8YX
01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Is there a 12 step program for this? :stickpoke:

Yes - it's roughly 12 steps from my operating position to the repair bench. :lol:

Unless I get another junker for parts, I'm finished 'collecting' the things. 5 operational units - 4 to be deployed at the operating desk, and 1 "standby/hot swap". Same thing with the R71As (have to get one more of them) and IC-751As (ditto). I might get hold of another IC-2KL/PS for a spare if the price is right. Most of my other gear will eventually be sold: It does the job - well - but for the purposes I've set the station up, a certain type and quantity of equipment is called for.

My XYL has gone from "you're not going to put up one of those great big things, are you?" when I first got my ticket to "Are you going to put up a tower one of these days?

Given that mine is licensed, I get bugged about my Big Log all the time. I think we're going to go with a Tennadyne T10 and a T28 stacked on top.

I wish KMA was still in business. They had exactly what I was looking for in a VHF/UHF log.