PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a CPU Fan

n2ize
01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
The CPU fan in my parents laptop has finally bitten the dust. because I studied Math in college I know everything there is to know about any and all computers in the universe, past, present, and future, so i have been elected to be the one to replace the fan.

Now I decided to look into the service manual to find out what is involved in replacing the tiny little fan. First and foremost, it is sold as a unit complete with heat sink. Second, to replace it you need to access the topside (keyboard/mouse) side of the system board. What is basically involved is, to replace this cheap little fan you have to disassemble the entire computer. All hard drives, optical drives, modems, network controllers, and boards must be removed. The keyboard and the display must be removed. You basically have to strip the entire computer just to replace the fan. Crazy shit, just to replace a Gawd darned fan &^**((*^%)!!!

It's a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop. Has anyone ever replaced a cup fan/cooler in one of these ? Does anyone know an easier way than taking the whole friggin thang apart ? Perhaps there is a differential equation or some surface integral over a 3 dimensional surface that could be determined to make the job easy. But somehow I don't think so.... Therefore, if anyone knows any simple tricks or any way to make this easier. I am wondering if there may be a way to remove the fan from the cooling unit and just replace the fan.

Any suggestions welcome before I end up embarking on this nuisance job.

K7SGJ
01-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Maybe she can help.................

NQ6U
01-07-2012, 04:59 PM

Nice...saw.

KG4CGC
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
There is no easy way. You must be meticulous and careful. Wear magnifiers if you must.

KJ3N
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM

http://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5130

She can pull-start me anytime. :rofl:

kf0rt
01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhJXflQP2pY

WA4TM
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Nice...saw.

There was a saw?? Where????:mrgreen:

n2ize
01-07-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhJXflQP2pY

Merci

ad4mg
01-07-2012, 07:42 PM
No way to do this job without almost total disassembly of the machine. I've replaced fans in several Dell laptops. Please use good dielectric heat compound under the heat sink. You do not want to do this job twice!

N1LAF
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't see any ESD mats or wrist straps.. Amateurish

NQ6U
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
There was a saw?? Where????:mrgreen:

All I can say about it is that they ain't makin' lumberjacks like they used to.

n6hcm
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
perhaps thsi is a sign a new laptop is in order?

n2ize
02-01-2012, 08:17 AM
I wound up replacing the fan after all. What a PITA job. I basically had to pull everything on and in the laptop apart and completely tear the entire laptop down, to the point where I could free the mainboard from the plastic casing. Once the mainboard was free changing the fan was the easy part... just unscrew the old fan and screw in the new one. Then I had to do everything in reverse and put the entire shebang back together.

The good part is it all works fine now. And it runs a lot cooler.No more shutdowns due to overheating.

KC2UGV
02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I wound up replacing the fan after all. What a PITA job. I basically had to pull everything on and in the laptop apart and completely tear the entire laptop down, to the point where I could free the mainboard from the plastic casing. Once the mainboard was free changing the fan was the easy part... just unscrew the old fan and screw in the new one. Then I had to do everything in reverse and put the entire shebang back together.

The good part is it all works fine now. And it runs a lot cooler.No more shutdowns due to overheating.

Any extra screws?

n2ize
02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Any extra screws?

Surprisingly only one !!!