PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions welcomed.

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
As many of you know my move to Europe grows closer as each day passes. I will be in a situation where my AR setup will have to be classified as portable. In fact portable will be fine for me anyway. Most operation will be done via Balcony about 45m off the pavement. Weekends will be spent in the country side of Southeast Spain.

What I am looking at currently for a set up is the following.

FT-817nd
Buddipole Delux package

My question is this. Any better suggestions? I think that an 817 will work well for me as a portable setup as even at home I will have to disassemble my station every time I use it. FYI background information. I am not strictly a CW user (in fact its scarce) so SSB is a must and the ability for AM preferred. FM is bleh. 2m/70cm, could care less.

Just looking for rig and portable antenna suggestions. A comfortable portable key would come in handy too. Most are so small and hard to work with that it brings tears to my eyes.

Side note. K3 is too big. KX3 is asinine priced. (K3 is on my wish list for later)

kf0rt
01-07-2012, 08:54 AM
If the self-contained battery isn't a requirement, I'd be inclined to go with an IC-7000. Mo watts on TX and built-in DSP based filtering on RX.

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
If the self-contained battery isn't a requirement, I'd be inclined to go with an IC-7000. Mo watts on TX and built-in DSP based filtering on RX.

Have one. :P Battery operation will be a +. Qrp preferred.

K7SGJ
01-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I have an 817, and an Icom IC-703. I use a Buddypole, as well. The 817 is way smaller and you can run with internal nicads, as well as an xternal battery. It makes for a compact little station. The 703 needs an external battery, and I use a small 8AH gell cell wich works very nicely. The 817 covers 6/2/430 whereas the 703 only does 6, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I think the 703 has a bit of an edge (if size is not a real issue) in that it has an internal antenna tuner, and I think the audio is a bit nicer. (Remember I'm an OF and hear crickets and shit all the time anyway). The display is a little larger, too. With the Buddypole, the auto tuner is nice and you don't have to be as critical with the antenna when changing bands. I did buy a autotuner kit for the 817, and although nice, it's another piece to hook up. All in all, it's a real toss up. If I had to choose only one of them, it would be a very difficult decision. As I recall the 703 was a bit more $$, but if you add in the auto tuner it comes out close. Good luck on a tough decision. I'm sure you'll be happy however you go. I hope to work you once you get settled over yonder.

PA5COR
01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
5 watts ftom the 817 will do fine, there are here some cheap and cheerfull and legal amps for the 817 to bring it to 100 - 150 watts if you have a PSU there.

Antenna's you can make yourself for a few pennies/eurocents, some wire and you're set, a cheap manual tuner can do the rest.
That way you are mobile ( 5 watt) and at home with mains and PSU you can make decent power, don't forget here there are a gaggle of stations to work, lots more as in the USA.
Different bandplans too, so get a valid one for Spain and your license. http://www.ure.es/general-info/417-licensing-and-basic-info-for-visitor-hams-.html
Get a Harec Certificate to change your amateur license to a valid Spanish one. http://www.erodocdb.dk/docs/doc98/official/pdf/TR6102.pdf

http://www.arrl.org/miscellaneous-reciprocal-operating-information

Bands are very busy here, around the ham bands you will find strong commercial stations, good filtering and using the ATT is a must.
Since you are 45 meter above ground, look for a symmetrical antenna setup without the need of antenna ground.
If i can help, give a shout.

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I have an 817, and an Icom IC-703. I use a Buddypole, as well. The 817 is way smaller and you can run with internal nicads, as well as an xternal battery. It makes for a compact little station. The 703 needs an external battery, and I use a small 8AH gell cell wich works very nicely. The 817 covers 6/2/430 whereas the 703 only does 6, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I think the 703 has a bit of an edge (if size is not a real issue) in that it has an internal antenna tuner, and I think the audio is a bit nicer. (Remember I'm an OF and hear crickets and shit all the time anyway). The display is a little larger, too. With the Buddypole, the auto tuner is nice and you don't have to be as critical with the antenna when changing bands. I did buy a autotuner kit for the 817, and although nice, it's another piece to hook up. All in all, it's a real toss up. If I had to choose only one of them, it would be a very difficult decision. As I recall the 703 was a bit more $$, but if you add in the auto tuner it comes out close. Good luck on a tough decision. I'm sure you'll be happy however you go. I hope to work you once you get settled over yonder.

I do like the 703+. They dont sell them anymore. No issues with buying used but..they are not the most common of finds. Chances are I wont be getting a new radio until I am settled in. Will have to find some Euro hamfests. :D

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 09:38 AM
5 watts ftom the 817 will do fine, there are here some cheap and cheeerfull and legal amps for the 817 to bring it to 100 - 150 watts if you hae a PSU there.

Antenna's you can make yourself for a few pennies/eurocents, some wire and you're set, a cheap manual tuner can do the rest.
That way you are mobile ( 5 watt) and at home with mains and PSU you can make decent power, don't forget here there are a gaggle of stations to work, lots more as in the USA.
Different bandplans too, so get a valid one for Spain and your license.
Get a Harec Certificate to change your amateur license to a valid Spanish one. http://www.erodocdb.dk/docs/doc98/official/pdf/TR6102.pdf

http://www.arrl.org/miscellaneous-reciprocal-operating-information

Bands are very busy here, around the ham bands ou will find strong commercial stations, good filtering and using the ATT is a must.
Since you are 45 meter above ground, look for a symmetrical antenna setup without the need of antenna ground.
If i can help, give a shout.

Ty for the links. :)

K7SGJ
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I do like the 703+. They dont sell them anymore. No issues with buying used but..they are not the most common of finds. Chances are I wont be getting a new radio until I am settled in. Will have to find some Euro hamfests. :D

Shows you how current I am. I didn't even know the 703+ was discontinyed. By Ebay standards, I should be able to get several hundred more than I paid for it. WOOT

WØTKX
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
How a bout a nice used K2? I'm surprised you think the K3 is too big... it's pretty small.

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 01:01 PM
How a bout a nice used K2? I'm surprised you think the K3 is too big... it's pretty small.

817 still makes them look like monsters in size.

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Not to change subjects but I see that the K3 now comes with an optional 2m module. I found that to be neat. The K3 is on my list. :) Kit ofc. Not sure if I want the 10 watt or 100 watt...but if its going in the house may as well make it 100 watt to be safe. Only allowed 200w max on most bands as it is.

W7XF
01-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Travis....
I'd just say take what you have... you can turn the RF output down to QRP as needed. a Buddipole or maybe an Outbacker would do good for an antenna...in fact, I'd say go with the Outbacker...that way you have your mobile antenna too. And, as Cor mentioned, watch your band plans there...and remember that the wall socket is 220.... NOT 110!!!! AND, find your 1250 Hz tone burst...that's what you'll need for some 2m/70cm repeaters over yonder.
And, don't forget to check the ARRL website for your CEPT information...so you can operate xx/KB3LAZ (xx being whatever the prefix is for where you are).

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Travis....
I'd just say take what you have... you can turn the RF output down to QRP as needed. a Buddipole or maybe an Outbacker would do good for an antenna...in fact, I'd say go with the Outbacker...that way you have your mobile antenna too. And, as Cor mentioned, watch your band plans there...and remember that the wall socket is 220.... NOT 110!!!! AND, find your 1250 Hz tone burst...that's what you'll need for some 2m/70cm repeaters over yonder.
And, don't forget to check the ARRL website for your CEPT information...so you can operate xx/KB3LAZ (xx being whatever the prefix is for where you are).

Yes, 220 :D And no mobile, ever. I dont use mobile here either. Bleh...I dont wanna take more baggage than I have to with me. :P Prolly gonna liquidate the whole shack before moving. Of which there are only a few things left as it is lol.

W3WN
01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Personally, I'd look hard at the Ten Tec Argonaut V. 25 watts, so it's got a little more oomph that a true QRP rig; small profile, easy to operate. And if W3WH ever decides to part with his, I'll be owing him some money...

Yes, it's also a discontinued rig. They're supposed to be coming out with a new QRP rig to replace it later this year.

I hear a lot of good things about the new Ten Tec Eagle. Basically the same physical profile as the Argonaut V, but it's a full 100 W out. And it's available with a built-in tuner if that's important. The Eagle appears to be a new direction for the middle-of-the-road rigs, since the core of the radio (pretty much except for the output) is the heart of that aforementioned new rig as well, or so I understand.

KB3LAZ
01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Personally, I'd look hard at the Ten Tec Argonaut V. 25 watts, so it's got a little more oomph that a true QRP rig; small profile, easy to operate. And if W3WH ever decides to part with his, I'll be owing him some money...

Yes, it's also a discontinued rig. They're supposed to be coming out with a new QRP rig to replace it later this year.

I hear a lot of good things about the new Ten Tec Eagle. Basically the same physical profile as the Argonaut V, but it's a full 100 W out. And it's available with a built-in tuner if that's important. The Eagle appears to be a new direction for the middle-of-the-road rigs, since the core of the radio (pretty much except for the output) is the heart of that aforementioned new rig as well, or so I understand.

:D and this is why I made this post. New ideas. Keep em coming! :D

NQ6U
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Have you given any consideration to an SDR? The Flex 1500 might fit the bill for you.

PA5COR
01-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Here it's 230 volt mains 50 Hz.( 16 amps per group)
1750 for opening the repeaters, but most use CTCSS, or just carrier opened.
You will find that most operators take the 200 watt limit with a laugh, just like the Italians, these grouos we call crocodiles not for nothing here ( too much power, shoddy antenna, big mouth no ears)
Since Spain is the first skip for me, most Spanish stations are always loud here.
Looking forward to have a sked with you LOL.

W1GUH
01-08-2012, 01:09 PM
If you wind up with an '817, and, IMHO that'd be a great choice, I highly recommend the "big battery" and "One Fast Chager" from W4RT (http://www.w4rt.com/FT-817-Accessories/One-Plug-Power-FT-817.htm). Lost more capacity in the battery, & it charges much faster than Yaesu's obsolete dumb charger that's built into the radio. There's an issue with W4RT's packaging of the combo, but it's easy to fix & electrically that combo is super!

For an antenna, you could consider a ham stick or 2 or 3, mounted with something like this...

http://cbradiosupplies.com/img/p/75-124-thickbox.jpg

I've never tried that, but that looks like a very convenient antenna setup. On a car hamsticks get out very well, and I'd think that mounted with one of those vice-grip thingies and worked against either a couterpoise or a ground, you'd have decent results. For example, I worked the Netherlands mobile with an '817 & a hamstick on the car with good, Q5 copy.

You can probably buy hamsticks for the bands you want to cover for less than the cost of a Buddipole. Just sayin...

Oh, and if you're planning on CW...don't forget a CW filter for the '817.

Whatever you get, it's very probable that it's going to be lots and lots of FUN!!! Enjoy!

KB3LAZ
01-08-2012, 01:22 PM
If you wind up with an '817, and, IMHO that'd be a great choice, I highly recommend the "big battery" and "One Fast Chager" from W4RT (http://www.w4rt.com/FT-817-Accessories/One-Plug-Power-FT-817.htm). Lost more capacity in the battery, & it charges much faster than Yaesu's obsolete dumb charger that's built into the radio. There's an issue with W4RT's packaging of the combo, but it's easy to fix & electrically that combo is super!

For an antenna, you could consider a ham stick or 2 or 3, mounted with something like this...

http://cbradiosupplies.com/img/p/75-124-thickbox.jpg

I've never tried that, but that looks like a very convenient antenna setup. On a car hamsticks get out very well, and I'd think that mounted with one of those vice-grip thingies and worked against either a couterpoise or a ground, you'd have decent results. For example, I worked the Netherlands mobile with an '817 & a hamstick on the car with good, Q5 copy.

You can probably buy hamsticks for the bands you want to cover for less than the cost of a Buddipole. Just sayin...

Oh, and if you're planning on CW...don't forget a CW filter for the '817.

Whatever you get, it's very probable that it's going to be lots and lots of FUN!!! Enjoy!

Some of the accs for the 817 are a given. Would prolly get the ssb/cw combo filter. Ofc the big battery and the fast charger are a must. :D

W7XF
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
How about this... MFJ-2990 160-6 43' base antenna....

or if you're upstairs, and have a grounded metal railing for a counterpoise, a Tarheel II or MFj-1664 manual 80-6 screwdriver???

Just some ideas ;)

W7XF
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
How about this... MFJ-2990 160-6 43' base antenna....

or if you're upstairs, and have a grounded metal railing for a counterpoise, a Tarheel II or MFj-1664 manual 80-6 screwdriver???

Just some ideas ;)
(Side note: Get the PS AFTER you get there...why pack the excess weight going over??)

W1GUH
01-08-2012, 04:12 PM
'LAZ:

Some of the accs for the 817 are a given. Would prolly get the ssb/cw combo filter. Ofc the big battery and the fast charger are a must. :D

I've got the SSB filter in my '857, and I'd be hard pressed to say it makes much difference at all. The difference between the Collins filter and the stock filter is very subtle; I've got to listen very closely to hear the difference. I'm glad I have it simply because I'm a total Collins mech. filter aficianado -- but beyond that I don't think it's really all that worth it. FWIW...and, as always, YMMV! Could be my OF ears, too!

Maybe I'll make a demo video to illustrate the difference?

W7XF
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
More help for you, Travis:
CEPT Licencing Information (http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/cept.htm)
Spain's version of the ARRL (This link is in English!) (http://www.ure.es/foreign-visitors.html)

KJ3N
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
I've got the SSB filter in my '857, and I'd be hard pressed to say it makes much difference at all. The difference between the Collins filter and the stock filter is very subtle; I've got to listen very closely to hear the difference. I'm glad I have it simply because I'm a total Collins mech. filter aficianado -- but beyond that I don't think it's really all that worth it. FWIW...and, as always, YMMV! Could be my OF ears, too!

You're not the only one I've heard comment on this. The SSB filter on the 817/857/897 (it's the same for all 3, if memory serves) doesn't make much difference according to several people I know who have purchased it. Save your money.

The CW filter is another matter. It supposedly makes the radio much more enjoyable to use on that mode.

W1GUH
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
You're not the only one I've heard comment on this. The SSB filter on the 817/857/897 (it's the same for all 3, if memory serves) doesn't make much difference according to several people I know who have purchased it. Save your money.

The CW filter is another matter. It supposedly makes the radio much more enjoyable to use on that mode.

Yep!!!!! Right on on all three!

KB3LAZ
01-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Thank you for the additional advise as well as links. Also, I will buy everything after I am there. :P I not only already liquidated all of my smaller gear but am liquidating everything. On top of that liquidation of other items have occurred which after I am settled will include cars etc and money will be wired to my from my father. Lol..as I said, Im not taking much with me. Clothing and only a little bit of it. I already know that I will be there a three year minimum. Like wont be coming back aside from a visit. :P

Unless ofc Pilar decides to renew her apps to work as a Spanish teacher here. But even still that wont happen for a few years.

W1GUH
01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh...forgot to mention... have fun over there. I'd lOVE a gig in Europe like you're getting!

KB3LAZ
01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Oh...forgot to mention... have fun over there. I'd lOVE a gig in Europe like you're getting!

Merely a side effect of why I am going. That's not to say I wont enjoy it.