PDA

View Full Version : Got My Case! Next!

W3WN
01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Well, the slowly-but-surely homebrew transmatch project just took another great step forward...

Found the "RF Tight Case" for what had been once a Drake MN-2000 on eBay. Won the auction, it should be here next week.

[There had been an MN-2000 front panel available as well, but I didn't try to get it until the other auction was over, and it's gone. Oh well... wasn't critical though...]

This case should have plenty of room inside for both of my caps and the roller inductor, plus it already has a lot of "pre-drilled" holes for the SO-239's and such. I'll need to pick up some feet and some (dare I say it?) knobs, but that's no biggie.

Now... the next challenge, what to do with the front panel hole for the meter? Ideally, it would be nice to put another SWR meter there, and I'm considering a few options. But despite the cosmetic issue, that won't be a "show stopper" until I figure it out.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any pieces from an MN-2000 sitting around collecting dust and rust... does it take the same outer case as the C Line?... let me know!

N8YX
01-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Go to the Zerobeat "Drake List" and put out a request for one. You should get a number of responses.

W3WN
01-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Case arrived this afternoon.

Shipper has more faith in the USPS than I do. He must have found a cardboard box with EXACTLY the right dimensions, that aluminum case was in it tight, but good. Had to slice the box apart to get it out... no other packing. Not wise, but he got away with it.

So, next step is to figure out the layout of the main components, and then see where (if) I have to drill new holes. That and find the right sheet metal screws... none came with the case, but then, none were advertised either.

If my warped and fading memory is correct, it looks like the MN-2000 was the same basic shape as the C Line, so I may just hunt down an outside case to put this in, when I'm done. But no rush on that.

Now comes the fun parts. Including figuring out how I'm going to rig up antenna switching (might as well take advantage of the existing SO-239 holes, right?) and bypass. I have a little Heath HD-1234 4 position mountable antenna switch, so I may just dismantle that and use the pieces (got it a few years ago at Dayton for a whopping $1), we shall see.

Also found this guy on eBay: http://auctionworks.com/StoreFrontProfiles/default.aspx?sfid=86409

He claims to have a lot of NOS Drake parts, including the (dare I say it? dare! dare!) matching knobs for the MN-2000. I'll probably get those from him at some point, trying to keep things authentic.

The one decision I'm putting off for now is the issue of the SWR bridge. I'd love to put a dual needle in there, and only have a switch for power level, but that's not something you can easily find instructions on. There are a couple of places that are selling digital SWR meter kits, so I may end up going with one of those. It can wait.

And I will have pictures once I get the project rolling. Might be a nice newsletter article, eh?

W3WN
01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Go to the Zerobeat "Drake List" and put out a request for one. You should get a number of responses.I will do that as well, should have mentioned it. Who knows what I might end up with?

N8YX
01-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Also try "TR7dude" on eBay. He has a number of NOS parts.