PDA

View Full Version : Train freaks in the NE....

W1GUH
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Going to scout the west shore Hudson CSX mainline on Sat. for good train watching site. Any suggestions?

w3bny
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes...

Get another hobby you train stalker d00d you!

I keed...I keed

K7SGJ
01-04-2012, 03:57 PM
There's a couple of very narrow tunnels you might try, but I'd keep your hair under a hat if I were you.

kb2vxa
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
"Any suggestions?"

Yeah, safety first so stay out of tunnels, off trestles and stay back from the RoW, another candidate for the Darwin Award we don't need. Oh and bring your camera, every rail fan needs a camera. Since you mentioned train freaks, railroaders call them foamers because foaming at the mouth they're all to eager to get in the way and annoy the employees.

I'm a train spotter
I'm a train spotter
Watchin' trains go by
My, my, my

I'm a train spotter
I'm a train spotter
Here comes one now
Mmmm, mmm, mmm

I was just a boy
When I threw away my toys
I found a new pastime
To dwell on

Whenever I detect
A train comin' down the track
I play the game I do so well, oh...

W2NAP
01-04-2012, 04:29 PM
i remember when the north line out of anderson used to have 4 or 5 trains a day run along it..

now I think we are lucky if we get 1 or 2 a week.

N8YX
01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
i remember when the north line out of anderson used to have 4 or 5 trains a day run along it..

now I think we are lucky if we get 1 or 2 a week.

This will change.

I live near what used to be a 7-track throughway:

Two B&O;
Two Erie Lackawanna;
Two ABB mainline;
One ABB crossing spur.

There are only two tracks left - a CSX single-track mainline and a W&LE connecting spur.

If what I suspect is in the works for the trucking industry actually comes to fruition, look for a big increase in railroad trackage renewal.

W1GUH
01-04-2012, 05:59 PM
A boy stood on the railroad tracks
And didn't hear the bell
I'd like to tell you the rest of the tale
But it's to sad to tell....

So stay away from the railroad track
It isn't the place to play
The trains go fast
As they go past
And you might get in the way!

Camera....check.
Portable digital recorder...check.
Radio tuned to RR freq...check.
Mobile rig....check.

Scouting for a place to take my portable studio for some really high-quality audio recordings when the wx get warmer. Also, for "something to do" while I'm mobiling.

That line is very busy. Just walking across the Poughkeepsie Bridge last spring I saw numerous trains go by.

"Any suggestions?"

Yeah, safety first so stay out of tunnels, off trestles and stay back from the RoW, another candidate for the Darwin Award we don't need. Oh and bring your camera, every rail fan needs a camera. Since you mentioned train freaks, railroaders call them foamers because foaming at the mouth they're all to eager to get in the way and annoy the employees.

I'm a train spotter
I'm a train spotter
Watchin' trains go by
My, my, my

I'm a train spotter
I'm a train spotter
Here comes one now
Mmmm, mmm, mmm

I was just a boy
When I threw away my toys
I found a new pastime
To dwell on

Whenever I detect
A train comin' down the track
I play the game I do so well, oh...

W2NAP
01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
This will change.

Two B&O;
Two Erie Lackawanna;
Two ABB mainline;
One ABB crossing spur.

There are only two tracks left - a CSX single-track mainline and a W&LE connecting spur.

If what I suspect is in the works for the trucking industry actually comes to fruition, look for a big increase in railroad trackage renewal.

prob with here is. the east west though anderson going though anderson yard will be used more. but the north line was used to hall GM parts from Anderson to Detroit.

GM is no longer here. so now its just a service to a couple grain bins. with the occasional north/south run out of wherever to anderson.

n2ize
01-04-2012, 06:58 PM
"Any suggestions?"

Yeah, safety first so stay out of tunnels, off trestles and stay back from the RoW, another candidate for the Darwin Award we don't need. .

Good advice. Not only are the tunnels, trestles, and right of way extremely dangerous but nowadays the authorities frown on unauthorized persons in and around railroad properties as potential security risks (i.e. potential terrorists). I would suggest carrying some cash, some ID and make sure you are not carrying anything that could be deemed illegal. Also, if you are going to be in one area photographing or observing trains for a long while expect to be questioned by the police or railroad security at some point.

w3bny
01-04-2012, 07:47 PM
I would suggest carrying some cash, some ID and make sure you are not carrying anything that could be deemed illegal. Also, if you are going to be in one area photographing or observing trains for a long while expect to be questioned by the police or railroad security at some point.

Also carry an HT, a ARES vest, and one of those amateur radio badges. A red hardhat or a an old CD one would be cool too!

W1GUH
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Good advice. Not only are the tunnels, trestles, and right of way extremely dangerous but nowadays the authorities frown on unauthorized persons in and around railroad properties as potential security risks (i.e. potential terrorists). I would suggest carrying some cash, some ID and make sure you are not carrying anything that could be deemed illegal. Also, if you are going to be in one area photographing or observing trains for a long while expect to be questioned by the police or railroad security at some point.

Maybe my mommy should go with me? Or are you volunteering for that role?

NQ6U
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
San Diego sucks for railfans, being down here in a dead-end corner of the country as it is. I lived in the L.A. area for three years back in the 1980s, though, and that was a whole other ball of wax. I think only Chicago could be a better place for train watching in terms of the sheer number of trains passing though in a given 24-hour period.

W3WN
01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
This will change.

Two B&O;
Two Erie Lackawanna;
Two ABB mainline;
One ABB crossing spur.

Hey, I didn't know you lived right by the W&LE. Their main line to Pittsburgh is right down the road, about a half-mile from here.

Some of those tracks disappeared because of consolidation of the different railroads over the years. But I also think CSX doesn't like having a lot of tracks in their right-of-way. When they aborbed what used to be the P&LE, the main line down on the Monongahela had four sets of tracks. Now there are two. If you look carefully down by Station Square, you can still see where they used to be.

I really have to get my old mid-70's NH&I and Conrail slides turned into scanned pictures.

n2ize
01-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe my mommy should go with me? Or are you volunteering for that role?

Well, I don't know about that as I am not much of a train fan. However, I do know several rail fans who have been stopped, detained, and questioned by the police on more than one occasions. That is why I suggest making sure you have some cash (so they can't accuse you of vagrancy) and carry your ID because, if/when confronted, they will ask to see it and don't trespass on rail property, else they can accuse of trespassing. . I the cases of the rail fans i knew they let them go once realized they were indeed rail fans. It's just that in today's world of suspicion you have to expect and be prepared for these types of confrontations.

W1GUH
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Well, I don't know about that as I am not much of a train fan. However, I do know several rail fans who have been stopped, detained, and questioned by the police on more than one occasions. That is why I suggest making sure you have some cash (so they can't accuse you of vagrancy) and carry your ID because, if/when confronted, they will ask to see it and don't trespass on rail property, else they can accuse of trespassing. . I the cases of the rail fans i knew they let them go once realized they were indeed rail fans. It's just that in today's world of suspicion you have to expect and be prepared for these types of confrontations.

That's been written about extinsivelyl in Trains magazine. There's mucho advice in there about being questioned by LEO's. The good news is much progress has been made with respect to this and railfans (dunno about the so-called "foamers") is that well-behaved fans are being seen more and more as allies in this effort rather than enemies. Smile, be polite, respect the LEO, and it's probable that things are gonna be OK.

W3WN
01-05-2012, 09:27 AM
That's been written about extinsivelyl in Trains magazine. There's mucho advice in there about being questioned by LEO's. The good news is much progress has been made with respect to this and railfans (dunno about the so-called "foamers") is that well-behaved fans are being seen more and more as allies in this effort rather than enemies. Smile, be polite, respect the LEO, and it's probable that things are gonna be OK.And if they tell you to skedaddle, don't argue with them. Just politiely thank them for the time and efforts on public safety, gather your stuff, and skedaddle.

Better you post about your mistreatment and eviction from the safety of your home, than from the jail library with a thumped head.

W1GUH
01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
And if they tell you to skedaddle, don't argue with them. Just politiely thank them for the time and efforts on public safety, gather your stuff, and skedaddle.

Better you post about your mistreatment and eviction from the safety of your home, than from the jail library with a thumped head.

Well said! That's exactly the advice in Trains. But they take it a step further. If the LEO is obviously out of line....comply, but take it up with his superiors appropraitely. Dunno if I'd actually do that, but the editors of that magazine are pretty active about protecting our rights. It's kind of amazing to see that in what traditionally has been a very conservative organ.

W1GUH
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Think I found what I'm looking for. This site (http://www.wislew.com/contents.htm)has lots of info -- and there's plenty of public places to hang out train watching.

n2ize
01-05-2012, 02:42 PM
That's been written about extinsivelyl in Trains magazine. There's mucho advice in there about being questioned by LEO's. The good news is much progress has been made with respect to this and railfans (dunno about the so-called "foamers") is that well-behaved fans are being seen more and more as allies in this effort rather than enemies. Smile, be polite, respect the LEO, and it's probable that things are gonna be OK.

In a best case scenario they might just smoke your eyelids and punch your cigarette.

Mona tried to tell me
To stay away from the train line
She said that all the railroad men
Just drink up your blood, like wine
And I said, "O, I didn't know that"
But then there is only one I met
And he just smoked my eyelids
And he punched my cigarette.

B. Dylan

kb2vxa
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
That's the song I stole the line from. Oh, mama, can this be the end? To be stuck inside a mobile with a busted mic again. The trouble with railroads these days is they aren't too fan friendly but you'll always find employees who are. Trouble with LEOs these days is ever since 9-11 they think everybody is a terrorist. Lucky little work-around, find a place near the RoW where you can keep out of sight and listen to the EOT device frequencies, when you hear the signal a train is nearby. NS uses 161.115MHz while others use 457.9375MHz.

Trouble around here is New Jersey Transit trains run frequently but they are all alike, see one and you've seen them all. I'm waiting on this one, with electric/Diesel dual power we won't have to change trains at Long Branch.

W3WN
01-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Trouble around here is New Jersey Transit trains run frequently but they are all alike, see one and you've seen them all. I'm waiting on this one, with electric/Diesel dual power we won't have to change trains at Long Branch.I miss the GG-1's.

n2ize
01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
That's the song I stole the line from. Oh, mama, can this be the end? To be stuck inside a mobile with a busted mic again. The trouble with railroads these days is they aren't too fan friendly but you'll always find employees who are.

Back in the late 80's when i used to pick up the Conrail/Metro North train from Fordham University I used to in those days carry a HT with me and in those days HT's were bigger and I used to carry it clipped to my belt in plain view. Now and then the conductors and RR people would spot the radio and ask I I was an employee. I would tell them No, I am not but the train crew used to give me a freebee ride now and then anyway. The train I usually used to catch had the old style electric cars with the vestibules at the ends of the cars where you could stand as the trains were moving. well technically I wasn't supposed to be in the vestibule while the train was in motion but the crew never bothered me about it. One day the conductor mentioned to me that he usually doesn't like to let people ride in the vestibule because some people do stupid things like leaning out of the train while its moving or they step off the train onto the platform before the train has reached a full stop. And mark those words because about a week later I was standing in the vestibule and a rather young attractive lady was standing by the door waiting to get of and before the train stopped she stepped out onto the platform. But she misjudged how fast the train was still going and she fell down hard on her ass the second she put her feet on the platform. I leaned out the door and hollered "hey..,.you okay" because I though she might have gotten her leg caught between the platform and the train and the conductor came running over to her but she was alright.

The only time they made me ride inside the car was one night when they got a report of some kids throwing rocks and they figured the vestibule was not the safest place to be standing should a rock come my way.

Metro North through the Bronx at night was always an adventure. I'll never forget the night we hit some huge pieces of scrap metal that someone dragged over the tracks. It did some damage under the train and we couldn't proceed. They had to back up to the nearest platform and switch us over to another train. Crazy stuff. the Bronx was wild in those days.

kb2vxa
01-07-2012, 03:01 PM
"I miss the GG-1's."
Me too, once upon a midnight dreary while I pondered weak and weary I could have taken one past a clear signal, out of South Amboy engine yard and into the night... if only I had a brake handle.

I got a few cab rides in my day, mostly in the PRR MP-54 EMUs like those you described. Between the buzz, rattle, bang like it was about to fall apart (1913 vintage) and the swing and sway at track speed the "rock and roll railroad" fear factor added to the fun. With the electric doors that won't open while the train is in motion the lady is safe now, can't Throw Mama From The Train either. Still some careless people don't mind the gap, oh well.

"I used to in those days carry a HT with me and in those days HT's were bigger and I used to carry it clipped to my belt in plain view."
Reminds me of a story about a train wreck on the Lehigh Valley, now NJT. Keep in mind the line runs behind Kean University in Union, N. J., this fact will come into play soon enough. Hearing about it on the scanner I strapped on a marine VHF brick just for show, hooked up the scanner in the car and off I went. I pulled up to the scene with the PD simplex talk-around chatter blaring from a PA speaker behind the grille, walked up to a cop and had a short conversation about the situation, then walked past unquestioned and unchallenged so I never IDed myself as an officer or employee nor denied it. Meanwhile he asked me how I got their "private channel" and I replied "We have our ways." <puzzled look> (;->) Surveying the wreck it all came together, this was a short road switcher operation coming from Anheuser Busch in Newark headed for Aldene Yard in Cranford, beer all OVER the place! Cops too guarding the wreck, you just KNOW college kids are beer magnets with legs. No, I didn't sample the suds, Budweiser is panther piss.

"the Bronx was wild in those days."
I guess you haven't been there lately. (;->)

W3WN
01-07-2012, 03:40 PM
I never took a cab ride in one of those. I did take a few in the NH&I 1533 when it was operational, back in the day, and a few on the NH&I 40. My brother and I spent more than a few weekend afternoons standing in the coal tender shoveling coal down to the engineers, too...

I also spent a lot of time on the PRR 4666 doodlebug, then owned by Hugh Jenkins, both on the NH&I and later on the BR&W. Hugh was a Reading engineer, quite a character as I remember. Sometime after his passing, title to the 4666 was transferred to the BR&W, and I believe they're using it to this day (I hoped they found a way to fix the crack in the frame!). The poor 1533 had it's rebuild aborted, and it now sits in pieces behind the NH&I engine house, rusting away.

W2NAP
01-07-2012, 04:03 PM
if you see a CSX train. run! it will prob derail.

N8YX
01-07-2012, 05:04 PM
if you see a CSX train. run! it will prob derail.

We haven't had that spirit here since 19691987 - last year that the Great Lakes Subdivision was double-track mainline all along its length. It was decided by the railroad to remove one of the tracks from roughly one mile north of me ('Lambert') all the way into Clinton ('Warwick'), which is roughly 12 linear miles. Electrically activated wyes at either end switch the single track to the east or westbound mains, depending on traffic. Some have to wait their turn, which causes traffic congestion.

The Erie Lackawanna had a double-track main line through here in the 60s and 70s; it ran to Rittman and beyond. The right-of-way was acquired by Conrail during the big re-org of the 70s and when Conrail no longer found it profitable to operate freight trains along the route, the section from Akron to Rittman was sold to the ex-ABB and reduced to single track.

Here's the gotcha: It's a 1.5% grade towards the west. Due to the potential fuel savings, the old B&O (now CSX) trackage was actually run south to Clinton, through a swamp ('Warwick') and several miles northwest into Rittman. Even with the extra trackage it's still cheaper (fuel wise) for a westbound consist to "take the long way".

It gets interesting in that CSX is now considering buying all or part of that ex-ABB (now W&LE) right-of-way and converting it to their eastbound mainline, this to alleviate traffic snarls. They can't effectively double-track their old route due to the same overhang issues which caused the '87 derailment.

W1GUH
01-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Had a great trip up the west side of the Hudson Valley. And there are copious legal, safe, close places to watch trains from. In Newburg at the old NYC station -- street parking right there, close to the tracks is one place. Another place...and it might be the best, or second best, is in Highland, right across from Poughkeepsie. Down by the waterfront there's a place where you can park and hang out un-hassled as long as you want. It's right next to the tracks & there's some awesome views from there. There's also a little park a little ways up the same road that's excellent, too. As for being un-hassled, I got there about 6:00 this morning & about 8:00 took a short nap. Damn!!! Was woken up by a great train of tankers when the lead units (all adorned in that great BNSF Blue and Yellow Warbonnet) came by. Crap!!! That was the THIRD train that I missed pix or video of the engines. 'Couse, it was freezing & not exactly conducive to hanging out outside.Ah, well, this was only a scouting trip....now I know where to go and be prepared for.

There might be better spots, though. Both of those are on flat terrain & you won't hear the engines straining up a grade or accelerating. Next trip I'll go a little farther north & also see if there a spot where trains are accelerating out of a yard or maybe out of a siding. Pix alter after I've looked at them.

kb2vxa
01-08-2012, 01:37 PM
"if you see a CSX train. run! it will prob derail."

Reminds me of a funny.

HUGH
01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
There are quite a few near misses published on the internet concerning the general public crossing the tracks regardless but here's a real trainspotter with blatant disregard for his own safety:

Here's wishful thinking from the driver:

N8YX
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
"if you see a CSX train. run! it will prob derail."

Reminds me of a funny.

That an SD-70?

W2NAP
01-08-2012, 03:06 PM
if i heard correctly the derailments in porter and marion county indiana were csx, and the derailments last year in this state were well you guessed it csx

pattern. in indiana only csx trains derail

N8YX
01-08-2012, 04:19 PM
if i heard correctly the derailments in porter and marion county indiana were csx

Did you take a look at the accident details?

The first train stopped. The second ran into it and the third ran into both.

If I were the NTSB I would be looking very closely at CSX's block signaling, train marshaling and communications procedures within that particular subdivision.

The crews on our area trains (including those roads which have trackage rights on the CSX mainline through Akron) don't fart unless they let their dispatchers know about it via radio.

W1GUH
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
This is the train that woke me up. Just about as nice a place for train watching as I've seen. It was almost too close or me...but that's where people do it, so...

Too bad I wasn't outside and ready!

There was another rail fan there Sat. afternoon who told me all about the mess of those 3 tangled trains.

N8YX
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Let's get some EL goodness into the thread.

I live about 4 miles away from the nose of the engine - in the direction which it's pointing. Certain of my childhood associates may or may not have climbed aboard those slow westbound freights in order to hitch a ride to Wadsworth/Rittman or points further out:

Five miles north of me. This time and place was a young railfan's dream - and I got to ride one of the very last scheduled E-L passenger trains as part of a classroom field trip while in grade school. We took a school bus to the Akron station - roughly a mile north of this spot - and boarded a mixed-consist train which took us to Rittman. Took a bus back home, as no more passenger trains were scheduled for that day.

W&LE ended up with the old Erie trackage rights into Rittman and eventually split the old ABB off into its own 'subdivision', which is now known as the Akron-Barberton Cluster Rwy. It services the tire industry in Akron, chemical industry in Barberton, Morton Salt in Rittman and a number of other small to medium-sized industrial concerns.

Shown here is the old Erie station at 4th St in Barberton. If you walked east along those tracks for a mile, you would practically end up at my front doorstep.

W2NAP
01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Did you take a look at the accident details?

The first train stopped. The second ran into it and the third ran into both.

If I were the NTSB I would be looking very closely at CSX's block signaling, train marshaling and communications procedures within that particular subdivision.

The crews on our area trains (including those roads which have trackage rights on the CSX mainline through Akron) don't fart unless they let their dispatchers know about it via radio.

i didnt read the report just what I knew from the news.

but it seems in the last several years damn near all the derailments in this state seemed to be CSX

n2ize
01-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Want to talk about train spotting, one of my uncles used to live over in Rockland county across the Hudson from me and there was a freight line that literally ran through his back yard. And I am not kidding, his yard ran about 50 feet back from the house and then there was a steep embankment and at the top of the embankment were the tracks. I saw many a frieght train pass while visiting his home. One summer he had a barbecue and there were a lot of kids over and a freight train was coming and as it approached some of the kids waved the train driver leaned out of he cab and waved back and blew the horn.

My Mom and Dad never liked the idea that the house and yard was adjacent to a freight line. They were thinking in terms of both the noise and the potential problems if a derailment were to happen. The train could literally end up in your living room or bedroom at that distance. But if you were a rail fan it was an ideal spot to live. All you need do is sit in your yard or look out the window and watch the freight trains go by.

N8YX
01-09-2012, 05:50 AM
My Mom and Dad never liked the idea that the house and yard was adjacent to a freight line. They were thinking in terms of both the noise and the potential problems if a derailment were to happen. The train could literally end up in your living room or bedroom at that distance. But if you were a rail fan it was an ideal spot to live. All you need do is sit in your yard or look out the window and watch the freight trains go by.

This is near the CSX mainline in Creston, OH - Main St. is SR 3. Scroll slightly to the left and down to find the rails.

Two houses are less than 30ft from the tracks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=creston,+ohio&ll=40.987081,-81.893721&spn=0.000487,0.000771&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Creston,+Wayne,+Ohio&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&iwloc=A

W3WN
01-09-2012, 08:44 AM
When we were house hunting the first time, many moons ago, the YF & I checked out a house that was right along the W&LE main line. Nice big older house, plenty of room, decent back yard, and the old telegraph poles were on our side of the right-of-way... don't know if I could have worked something out with them or not.

Called the realtor, found out that the property had been rezoned commercial and had just been sold anyway. House got torn down, and now there's an electrical contractractor located there.

Probably just as well, I later found out that the W&LE runs a lot of trains after midnight.

W1GUH
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
'ize:

Want to talk about train spotting, ...

Um...I love the movie as much as you but I believe there's a difference between "trainspotting" and "train watching." As I understand it, "trainspotting" means to be watching for trains and checking the timetable to keep track of on-time performance, whereas "train watching" is where you just watch 'em because you really enjoy watching trains!

The former seems kind anal.

Cheers!

NQ6U
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
'ize:

Um...I love the movie as much as you but I believe there's a difference between "trainspotting" and "train watching." As I understand it, "trainspotting" means to be watching for trains and checking the timetable to keep track of on-time performance, whereas "train watching" is where you just watch 'em because you really enjoy watching trains!

According the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_%28hobby%29), it seems that trainspotting means pretty much the same thing in Great Britain as rail fan means here.

K7SGJ
01-09-2012, 01:08 PM
That's the song I stole the line from. Oh, mama, can this be the end? To be stuck inside a mobile with a busted mic again. The trouble with railroads these days is they aren't too fan friendly but you'll always find employees who are. Trouble with LEOs these days is ever since 9-11 they think everybody is a terrorist. Lucky little work-around, find a place near the RoW where you can keep out of sight and listen to the EOT device frequencies, when you hear the signal a train is nearby. NS uses 161.115MHz while others use 457.9375MHz.

Trouble around here is New Jersey Transit trains run frequently but they are all alike, see one and you've seen them all. I'm waiting on this one, with electric/Diesel dual power we won't have to change trains at Long Branch.

And here I thought that was a saloon in Dodge City that Miss Kitty ran.

K7SGJ
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
There are quite a few near misses published on the internet concerning the general public crossing the tracks regardless but here's a real trainspotter with blatant disregard for his own safety:

Here's wishful thinking from the driver:

Huh. And grandma always told me not to stand on the big rock by the railroad tracks because a train could come by and suck me off.

W2NAP
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
i remember when I was a kid we lived in alexandria (city just north of anderson) and in the back yard was the north/south conrail line.

id hear a train come run back to the fence and wait for it.

man those were the days, talk about long trains to.

ill never forget watching a steamer go down that line. no clue what one it was i was like 5 at the time but i remember it.

W1GUH
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
According the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_%28hobby%29), it seems that trainspotting means pretty much the same thing in Great Britain as rail fan means here.

Subtle shades of meaning...

From Wiki:

Those who are "trainspotters" make an effort to "spot" all of a certain type of rolling stock. This might be a particular class of locomotive, a particular type of carriage or all the rolling stock of a particular company. To this end, they collect and exchange detailed information about the movements of locomotives and other equipment on the railway network, and become very knowledgeable about its operations.

I know that some "rail fans" do that, but only a subset. I know that's not my point...I just love the power, size and sheer wonder of somthing so big and heave going so fast!

Hell, I still can't tell one diesel from another except in very broad terms!

kb2vxa
01-09-2012, 04:22 PM
"And here I thought that was a saloon in Dodge City that Miss Kitty ran."

There was such a saloon so named by the owner who moved to Dodge from Long Branch, New Jersey.
Gotta love the creators of Gunsmoke, for the owner of a saloon with a brothel upstairs Miss Kitty is a natural! (Ever notice that peculiar smile on Matt's face?)

NQ6U
01-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I still can't tell one diesel from another except in very broad terms!

Like it matters. They all seem to be built by General Electric these days. I miss the GP-9.

kf0rt
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Huh. And grandma always told me not to stand on the big rock by the railroad tracks because a train could come by and suck me off.

Nope. Ain't gonna go there.

NQ6U
01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
a train could come by and suck me off.

I've had it done by worse.

n2ize
01-09-2012, 08:14 PM
According the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_(hobby)), it seems that trainspotting means pretty much the same thing in Great Britain as rail fan means here.

And according to some sources it has nothing to do with trains at all but has to do with the Papaver Somniferum Express !!

W1GUH
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
It's got personality.

n2ize
01-09-2012, 10:26 PM
It's got personality.

Train watching, train fans, train spotting... regardless of context it's all about people doing what they like. I never much got into watching trains but I can appreciate why people find it interesting. My interest in trains was mainly about passenger trains and, in particular subway trains. I still enjoy subway trains but I miss the old ones.