PDA

View Full Version : It's Freezing

n2ize
01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
It's 3:40 pm here and its only 25 degrees. That is unreal. How could it possibly get so cold. When is this brutal cold weather going to end ??

w3bny
01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
It's 3:40 pm here and its only 25 degrees. That is unreal. How could it possibly get so cold. When is this brutal cold weather going to end ??

It just January kiddo...So buck up...ruck up...and...

Saphira and I have a ways to go this afternoon

KB3LAZ
01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Yep, it was bound to happen. We didnt escape, we just got a late start.

K7SGJ
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Huh, it's 81 here. Who'd a thunked it?

ka4dpo
01-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Huh, it's 81 here. Who'd a thunked it?

Rub it in,,,,,the wind chill here is 15 degrees. I hate winter.

K7SGJ
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
If you like, I'd be glad to mail you some of this weather.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM

No thanks. I prefer the kind of weather we are having now. Unfortunately it's not going to last long. By thursday we are supposed to return to the tropics.

kb2vxa
01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I don't know what you call tropics, here's what's in store for my part of the Island... IOTA 111.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 15. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 14 and 20 mph.
Wednesday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 29. West wind between 10 and 13 mph.
Wednesday Night: A chance of flurries before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind around 9 mph.
Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. West wind between 9 and 15 mph.
Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. West wind between 11 and 13 mph.

kf0rt
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM

It's 59 here. I'll take 10 degrees off your hands. :lol:

W2NAP
01-03-2012, 05:17 PM
27 here, needs to be 87

W7XF
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
75 here where your lettuce is growing (Yuma, AZ).

w2amr
01-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Cold enough for me to park the two wheelers. Brrrrrrrrrr.
I was going to buy toots an electric heating pad for the garage, but the risk of fire scares me. So I mounted two 50 watt flood lamps above the work bench, that shines down on her bed. It's 25 degrees in the garage right now , but it's 55 around her bed. This will work.8)

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Ah, finally normal weather... 15 degrees right now. Should be around 10 or so tonight. 45 and rain on Thursday, however. We finally got our first snow.

W1GUH
01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Ah, finally normal weather... 15 degrees right now. Should be around 10 or so tonight. 45 and rain on Thursday, however. We finally got our first snow.

That's just great...after football season and the Bills aren't in the playoffs. Always figured Buffalo was good for at least one football game "like it ought be.!

n2ize
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM

This is just a fluke. Temperatures are going to be shooting back up.So your snow will probably be gone in a day or two. Sounds like you guys are getting NYC style weather this winter and NYC is getting No. Carolina style weather.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
That's just great...after football season and the Bills aren't in the playoffs. Always figured Buffalo was good for at least one football game "like it ought be.!

I know it sucks. Football is best when its freezing cold and snowing,. I love football because it is KICKASS ! No wimps need apply.

ab1ga
01-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Cold enough for me to park the two wheelers. Brrrrrrrrrr.
I was going to buy toots an electric heating pad for the garage, but the risk of fire scares me. So I mounted two 50 watt flood lamps above the work bench, that shines down on her bed. It's 25 degrees in the garage right now , but it's 55 around her bed. This will work.8)

One of our cats has kidney trouble, which leaves him very little body fat and very susceptible to cold. We tried a heated cat bed purchased online which actually had a pressure sensor in it - idled at about five degrees above room temperature, then went to cat body temp when the cat went to sleep on it. Problem was, his sister claimed it before he got used to it.

We wound up using a geezer-style lap blanket we picked up at Sears or someplace like that (Sunbeam brand). It's at the foot of the bed, left on low or medium all the time, fluffed up so he can nestle down in it. It's been going for two or three years nonstop, and since it's basically a small electric blanket designed for human use, I find the risk of fire to be acceptably low. But one safety feature can be a nuisance: when the power goes out, the blanket goes out, and doesn't come back on unless manually restarted. Poor MacDuff spent a couple of cold nights one winter until we figured that one out.

W2NAP
01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
i still want my mid to upper 80s back

w3bny
01-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Kinda sucked coming home. Boots didnt work right. Gloves are kinda poopy. So feet on verge of freezing and throttle hand too. Gonna be what...16 tomorrow am so windchill on Saphira should be -35ish. brr... I might have to break down and start buying electrics! Good news is She runs wonderful now! WHOO!

ab1ga
01-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Kinda sucked coming home. Boots didnt work right. Gloves are kinda poopy. So feet on verge of freezing and throttle hand too. Gonna be what...16 tomorrow am so windchill on Saphira should be -35ish. brr... I might have to break down and start buying electrics! Good news is She runs wonderful now! WHOO!

Getting old bites like a cold wind...

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 09:39 PM
High here today was freezing.

VK3ZL
01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I've just gone through a week of 43....Most refreshing...Today it cooled down and is only 35...That's C of course..Nuff to frizzle the hairs off an old geezers bum..:fever:

Bob..VK3ZL..

n2ize
01-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Well, this is so far the first night of the winter season that I have actually closed the window almost all the way. I still have it open a tiny crack for a little bit of ventilation.Two or three days ago I had the window open full both day and night.

n2ize
01-04-2012, 03:13 AM
i still want my mid to upper 80s back

Upper 80's ?? Why only upper 80's ? If its going to get hot I'd rather see upper 90's with some high humidity to beat the band. But either way, just sit tight for a few short months and you'll be seeing that 87 deg F pretty soon.

w2amr
01-04-2012, 03:59 AM
One of our cats has kidney trouble, which leaves him very little body fat and very susceptible to cold. We tried a heated cat bed purchased online which actually had a pressure sensor in it - idled at about five degrees above room temperature, then went to cat body temp when the cat went to sleep on it. Problem was, his sister claimed it before he got used to it.

We wound up using a geezer-style lap blanket we picked up at Sears or someplace like that (Sunbeam brand). It's at the foot of the bed, left on low or medium all the time, fluffed up so he can nestle down in it. It's been going for two or three years nonstop, and since it's basically a small electric blanket designed for human use, I find the risk of fire to be acceptably low. But one safety feature can be a nuisance: when the power goes out, the blanket goes out, and doesn't come back on unless manually restarted. Poor MacDuff spent a couple of cold nights one winter until we figured that one out.

We would love to bring her in the house, but our german shepherd Leyna hates cats.

W2NAP
01-04-2012, 04:41 AM
so cold outside. only thing to do is stay inside.

but I have some projects! 2 moto maxtrack vhf rigs (thanks to kb2crk) Almost have #1 built..... i ran out of bloody screws. so i guess that means its bout time to just go to bed for the night

KG4CGC
01-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Officially 19 degrees here right now. Supposed to get up to 47 today. Break out the shorts and sandals.

KC2UGV
01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
I've just gone through a week of 43....Most refreshing...Today it cooled down and is only 35...That's C of course..Nuff to frizzle the hairs off an old geezers bum..:fever:

Bob..VK3ZL..

Wait a tic...

Aint it summer there?

w3bny
01-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Pain Pain Pain... It was 14F when I left this morning. Wind chill at speed is -31. My hands still are hurting. Feet are ehh... legs ok and central core ok. Still, if I intend to keep up with this silliness, gonna have to shell out for electrics. At the least, gloves and feets. BRRRRRRRRR

ab1ga
01-04-2012, 01:40 PM
We would love to bring her in the house, but our german shepherd Leyna hates cats.

Bad doggie! Bad, bad doggie!

:)

w3bny
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM

What is it with German Shepherds and their hate for cats. Everyone I have met is like a certified cat killer. Hell even my pit bull (long story) slept with my Maine coon kitteh! They were inseparable!

kf0rt
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Must be a purebred thing. We used to have a Shepherd / Black Lab mix that had no problems with the cat.

He'd only hunt illegal birds, though.

W7XF
01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Ya mean your Kevlar Bunneh fur isn't keeping you toasty???

W7XF
01-04-2012, 02:06 PM
75° here in Mira Loma, CA now... NWS calling for a high of 84° today xD

w3bny
01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Must be a purebred thing <snippity>

Darn Nazi dawgs...

Ya mean your Kevlar Bunneh fur isn't keeping you toasty???

I R Not arctic snow bunneh. I was born a 5-lander half Jack rabbit/half plain old little brown country bunny. And either way, I'd trade my kevlar for more Polartec or a pair of electric booties and gloves! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

w2amr
01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Darn Nazi dawgs...

I R Not arctic snow bunneh. I was born a 5-lander half Jack rabbit/half plain old little brown country bunny. And either way, I'd trade my kevlar for more Polartec or a pair of electric booties and gloves! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
I don't have any of that stuff either. When the temps get into the 30's the bikes get parked.

w2amr
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM
What is it with German Shepherds and their hate for cats. Everyone I have met is like a certified cat killer. Hell even my pit bull (long story) slept with my Maine coon kitteh! They were inseparable!It's not just cats, also other dogs and pretty much anything else walking on all fours. Loves people though.

w3bny
01-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't have any of that stuff either. When the temps get into the 30's the bikes get parked.

I have a Polartec jacket to go under the main Olympia jacket. My Firstgear overpants are wind and rain proof and have a Thinsulate liner. Also have Polartec pants if its that cold but never had to use them yet. ( Dont even think about wearing them in the late spring or onward till its cold again...pant-pant-pant). and EXO boot inserts. (they kinda suck...but better than nothing. Suck because of the battery packs. GAAK!)

Joe Rocket gloves...SUCK....Olympia winter gloves...DOUBLE SUCK. Meh. Will find something that works one of these days.

w2amr
01-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I have a Polartec jacket to go under the main Olympia jacket. My Firstgear overpants are wind and rain proof and have a Thinsulate liner. Also have Polartec pants if its that cold but never had to use them yet. ( Dont even think about wearing them in the late spring or onward till its cold again...pant-pant-pant). and EXO boot inserts. (they kinda suck...but better than nothing. Suck because of the battery packs. GAAK!)

Joe Rocket gloves...SUCK....Olympia winter gloves...DOUBLE SUCK. Meh. Will find something that works one of these days.Hang in there Ren, spring is right around the corner.:-D

n2ize
01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I am enjoying this weather. I was out there this morning. It was about 10 degrees and I was quite comfortable. Had on a sweatshirt, a quilted jacket and a fur lined hat and I didn't feel cold at all, even while I was sitting still on a bench outside watching the sunrise. Matter of fact it was hard to imagine that is was really as cold as it was. The air was nice and crisp and clear.

NQ6U
01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm home for lunch; it's 83° on the back porch right now.

w3bny
01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm home for lunch; it's 83° on the back porch right now.

Given your location, I would have thought it would be 98.6 :snicker:

ka4dpo
01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
It's currently 40 deg here, any warmer and I'll have to start planting those Banana trees..

N7YA
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Ive been in the Mojave for 26 years now and still dont like it. I miss the cold, the big trees and the water. I can always dress warm, cant escape heat!

kf0rt
01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Ive been in the Mojave for 26 years now and still dont like it. I miss the cold, the big trees and the water. I can always dress warm, cant escape heat!

Trade ya. But only in the winter... :lol:

ab1ga
01-05-2012, 06:26 PM

I am pleased to report that Maine is still there, but that the governor is an imbecile. Don't come home just yet.

N7YA
01-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Maybe we can hang out in Boston until the coast is clear. Its got to be better than here! Our entire government of southern Nevada is corrupt.

As for trading for CO weather, sure! I dont have a problem with that...ten winters in AK, mind you. I rather enjoyed it, even though i would need a season or two to fully reacclimate.

ka4dpo
01-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Well it almost got up to 65 today, strangest January weather in a long time.

N7YA
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
I actually think our winter is over.

kf0rt
01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
37 and snowing here...

n2ize
01-07-2012, 06:40 PM
This has to be the most consistently warmest winter I have ever experienced in my entire life. So far my attire for this winter has been tee shirts and light windbreaker jackets with an occasional use of my quilted jacked on rare occasions. I have pretty much kept my windows wide open every day all through December and all through January so far (except for the one or two cold days) I wrote this thread. I haven't had to even look at the snow thrower much less use it. And the next week is calling for very warm weather. Paradoxically we had a freak and very unusual snowstorm here on Oct 2011... the trees still had leaves..., but we have yet to see a single drop of snow or frozen precipitation since then, except for a few hailstones during a thunderstorm a few weeks ago. Today we came close to 60 degrees.

Contrast that with the last couple years where every day i wore my warmest winter jacket and fur lined aviators cap with a Jon-e hand warmer in my pocket, where the snow thrower got a heavy workout by this time and every day I was checking the extended forecast to figure out when the next snowstorm/blizzard was to hit our area.

The crazy thing is that it may stay mild till spring and then we may get a bitter cold snap in early spring. Or we may get a bitter cold snowy February. Winter temps tend to average out so we may be in store for some cold weather in the latter half. Who knows ??

I am a firm believer in climate change and the extremely unpredictable conditions that researchers have predicted.

rot
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
72 F this afternoon in FM06 land. FB Couple of cold days...couple of warm days... back and forth.. No complaints from me so far on this year.
rot

n2ize
01-08-2012, 03:07 AM
What if the temperature went up to 20 billion degrees ?

K7SGJ
01-08-2012, 09:30 AM

I would say don't make an ash of yourself.

rot
01-08-2012, 10:30 AM

At that point it'd be hotter than a 4 balled dog.

W7XF
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Right now, 59º and falling here in El Pisso xD

Forecast is 80% chance of rain/snow tonight xD

NQ6U
01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Right now, 59º and falling here in El Pisso xD

Are you camping under the ASARCO smokestack?

W7XF
01-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Are you camping under the ASARCO smokestack?

Nope....exit 32 xD

N7YA
01-08-2012, 06:10 PM
I would say don't make an ash of yourself.

Ok, lets not fire up the pun furnace...im burned out.