PDA

View Full Version : This one's for Carlo.

WX7P
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
1955 Color footage of San Francisco 1955.

REALLY COOL!

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/25/amateur-color-film-of-san-fran.html

WA4TM
01-03-2012, 03:15 PM
That IS some cool footage!!!

Hey Carlo, has anything changed much in the last 50 years?

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
That's what Asheville looks like today.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
That's what Asheville looks like today.

really ? then I am moving to Ashville.

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
John, you wouldn't like Asheville. Not conservative enough for you.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
John, you wouldn't like Asheville. Not conservative enough for you.

Awww... Foo !! :)

kf0rt
01-03-2012, 03:52 PM
'Course, you've all seen this one of SF from 1905...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b9_1267708647

K7SGJ
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Pretty neat, thanks for the post, both of them.

W7XF
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
OMG!!! Two-way traffic on the UPPER deck of the Bay Bridge??? Who'da thunk it?????

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
All this time machine stuff if cool.

WX7P
01-03-2012, 06:23 PM
OMG!!! Two-way traffic on the UPPER deck of the Bay Bridge??? Who'da thunk it?????

The KEY system was on the lower deck. It was a trolley.

NQ6U
01-03-2012, 08:51 PM
That IS some cool footage!!!

Hey Carlo, has anything changed much in the last 50 years?

Of course, but what's more interesting to me is how much is still the same.

NQ6U
01-03-2012, 09:24 PM
The KEY system was on the lower deck. It was a trolley.

Not exactly a trolley; the Key System cars were considerably larger than current light rail cars like there in Sac or down here in San Diego. Technically, it was what's called interurban line. There are still a few of the cars at the Perris (California) Railroad Museum.

Also, the Key System shared the lower deck with trucks. I remember riding in my father's trucks back when I was a kid; the tracks were still in place but the trains were no longer running.

WX7P
01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Not exactly a trolley; the Key System cars were considerably larger than current light rail cars like there in Sac or down here in San Diego. Technically, it was what's called interurban line. There are still a few of the cars at the Perris (California) Railroad Museum.

Also, the Key System shared the lower deck with trucks. I remember riding in my father's trucks back when I was a kid; the tracks were still in place but the trains were no longer running.

Thanks for the clarification on the truck thing. I didn't know that. And you are correct, "trolley" was a bad choice of words.

As to your comment about how things look a lot the same, I didn't get that impression. There are a helluva lot more tall buildings in SF now. The whole Cliff House area is WAY different with Playland gone.

Was Sky Tram functioning in your memory? I don't remember it. It looks like it would have been fun. You can see the Sutro baths in the Sky Tram portion of the film.

NQ6U
01-03-2012, 09:52 PM
As to your comment about how things look a lot the same, I didn't get that impression. There are a helluva lot more tall buildings in SF now. The whole Cliff House area is WAY different with Playland gone.

Poor choice of words on my part. I didn't mean to imply that everything looks the same, only that I was surprised by how much of what was there then is still there now. Downtown is way different for sure; I remember watching that transition as I grew up and I'm not sure it was for the better. And too bad about Playland. Remember "Laughing Sal," the clown over the entrance of the Fun House?

Was Sky Tram functioning in your memory? I don't remember it. It looks like it would have been fun.

No, I don't remember Sky Tram at all. The film said it was new then but it must not have lasted very long.

You can see the Sutro baths in the Sky Tram portion of the film.

I remember going down into the ruins of Sutro Baths to smoke weed when I was a teenager...

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 09:52 PM
When I was 5 years old, I asked my mom what it was like in the old timey days with all the dinosaurs.

WX7P
01-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Poor choice of words on my part. I didn't mean to imply that everything looks the same, only that I was surprised by how much of what was there then is still there now. Downtown is way different for sure; I remember watching that transition as I grew up and I'm not sure it was for the better. And too bad about Playland. Remember "Laughing Sal," the clown over the entrance of the Fun House?

Thought it was pretty scary.

No, I don't remember Sky Tram at all. The film said it was new then but it must not have lasted very long.

I did some google fu on it. It lasted about 11 years.

I remember going down into the ruins of Sutro Baths to smoke weed when I was a teenager...

You were probably down there with my ex-wife. She used to do the same thing!

NQ6U
01-03-2012, 09:58 PM
When I was 5 years old, I asked my mom what it was like in the old timey days with all the dinosaurs.

Let me tell ya, kid, it was no fun. Ya hadda be real careful and if you didn't end up being some sauropod's lunch, you were lucky to avoid getting squished underfoot by an apatosaurus (we used to call 'em brontosaurus back in the day) or carried off by a pterosaur and be fed to it's chicks.

WX7P
01-03-2012, 09:59 PM

Heh, sonny, we ARE OLD people from the Bay Area! It's a goshdarned shame what these whippersnappers have done to The City...

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/2724e38c.jpg

W1GUH
01-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Let me tell ya, kid, it was no fun. Ya hadda be real careful and if you didn't end up being some sauropod's lunch, you were lucky to avoid getting squished underfoot by an apatosaurus (we used to call 'em brontosaurus back in the day) or carried off by a pterosaur and be fed to it's chicks.'

Damn paleontologists always going and wiping out great dinosaurs! Used to be there was the bontosaurus and the dip.lo.doc'.us. Then, they told us no, it's dip.lo'.dic.us....now I understand that my favorite dinosaur doesn't even exist anymore! Oh, the shame of it all! Where's the justice? Must be Ross' fault...chasing Rachel turned his brain into brown shredded paper!

Re: Key system....

Ah....the wonders of short-sighted capitallism!!!!

As I understand it, GM and Firestone really gave the Bay Area a hard sell to convert from rail to bus mass transit. So they sold 'em a bunch of buses and tires at very, very good prices...so long as they ripped up the rails and eliminated any possible competition!

Now, billions are being spent to replace those rails.

What I mostly remember worrying about back in those days before the Salk vaccine was getting polio.

K7SGJ
01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Let me tell ya, kid, it was no fun. Ya hadda be real careful and if you didn't end up being some sauropod's lunch, you were lucky to avoid getting squished underfoot by an apatosaurus (we used to call 'em brontosaurus back in the day) or carried off by a pterosaur and be fed to it's chicks.

And who could ever forget the dreaded one eyed Penisaurus? Hey Ugg, check out the head on that one!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

WX7P
01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
'

Re: Key system....

Ah....the wonders of short-sighted capitallism!!!!

As I understand it, GM and Firestone really gave the Bay Area a hard sell to convert from rail to bus mass transit. So they sold 'em a bunch of buses and tires at very, very good prices...so long as they ripped up the rails and eliminated any possible competition!

Now, billions are being spent to replace those rails.

What I mostly remember worrying about back in those days before the Salk vaccine was getting polio.

If I remember right, the company that bought the Key system in the late 40's was a subsidiary of GM. Gee, no conflict there! GM did get busted for that, but it was too late to save the system.

Now we have BART, and the billions of dollars of public money spent on BART for almost exactly the same lines as the Key system. Great.

W7XF
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Pope Carlo: How much did it cost to cross the Bay Bridge in your younger years?? It was 40¢ when I started driving in 1977....I know its like $6.00 now...

WX7P
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Pope Carlo: How much did it cost to cross the Bay Bridge in your younger years?? It was 40¢ when I started driving in 1977....I know its like $6.00 now...

Cheapest I remember was $.25 and I think that was both ways.

NQ6U
01-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I remember it being fifty cents heading west and no toll headed east, but that was over forty years ago so my memory may very well be faulty.

KG4CGC
01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I remember it being fifty cents heading west and no toll headed east, but that was over forty years ago so my memory may very well be faulty.

Upgrade your ram card and add a changeable battery holder.