PDA

View Full Version : Add another new perspective to my repertoire...

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Last week, I visited friends in Ohio. They live in a very rural part of OH. While they did have electricity and running water (NG too hihi), not more than 1 mile away there were many who didn't. I had very limited access to the internets, and no TV, per se (OTA antenna wasn't installed yet as my friends had just moved in).

Now, these people didn't live in hovels, or anything like that. They had running water, just not utility water. They had electricity, just not always grid electricity. They had fine houses.

After "living" there for a week, and meeting some of the individuals, it brought an interesting perspective into my repertoire, and strengthened my desire to "get closer to the earth".

Now, my experience with rural america in the past has been less than savory. In Texas, people are more interesting in "defending their stuff", and in rural areas of NY, if you look out of place you'll get the stinkeye until you leave (If not worse). Same in Tennessee and Kentucky (Kentucky, you'll usually just be laughed at however).

What an eye opener! People here were genuinely friendly. I looked very out of place in both my dress, and physical appearance; as well as my accent. Never even a glance out of place, however, and always a kind word.

If I do end up getting to the earth, I'll be seriously considering rural OH as my place I settle down into. I like those people. The ones I spoke with are constantly battling corporate farming from middle America, refuse Mosanto's ruses, understand the reasoning behind humane handling of animals, et al.

One thing I found interesting was the lack of exterior lighting. Especially on the back porches there. It was explained,"Well, people know it might shine in other's windows, so we just don't do it."

WOW! Honestly, I've never considered it, but also not being workable in my area I live in (Lit areas are safe areas). But, the notion of "It could bother others, so we just don't" really sunk in.

So, yet another life experience to add to my back pocket :) And, I do recommend visiting OH. One of the nicest states I've visited (In all the years of traveling, it's been my experience), even if their politicians are assholes, the people aren't.

suddenseer
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I resemble that remark....Buckeyes can be alot of fun at a party, they just don't go home until the food and booze is gone. My family owns property in southern Ohio which is mostly used as a deer hunting camp. Some of our neighbors live in poverty only seen in 3rd world countries. I am thinking of 12 people who live in a converted school bus. They have electrical service, and an outhouse. The fancy 4wd truck, and the sat. dish is an interesting decor I have only seen there. Those folks live like pioneers. They are good to have as neighbors.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I resemble that remark....Buckeyes can be alot of fun at a party, they just don't go home until the food and booze is gone.

Oh, I'm sure! People who are friendly, tend to be great for parties :)

My family owns property in southern Ohio which is mostly used as a deer hunting camp. Some of our neighbors live in poverty only seen in 3rd world countries. I am thinking of 12 people who live in a converted school bus. They have electrical service, and an outhouse. The fancy 4wd truck, and the sat. dish is an interesting decor I have only seen there. Those folks live like pioneers. They are good to have as neighbors.

I'm starting to see that. I'm sure there are some who live in poverty, but I honestly think for there, it might be a thing of laziness vs lack of opportunity, and can see why many people in rural areas think: If you are starving, then you are lazy; because food is made by YOU.

Getting a pound of frozen corn from one family, and 1/2 lb of ham from another (Which my wife describes as,"The best fucking ham I've ever had) as a visitor's gift clued me into that.

The family on one side of the road raises hogs, and across the road is a vegetable farm. It's like the road is split, on one side are the animals, and the other is veggies; and the families have a little market right there. Trade corn for ham, etc etc.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I have always felt uncomfortable in rural settings. Where many see rural areas as quaint, and close to nature, I seem a great potential for evil amidst the isolation that comprises rural life. I fee a lot safer in the deepest and darked back alleys of a major urban centre than the confines of a rural setting.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm starting to see that. I'm sure there are some who live in poverty, but I honestly think for there, it might be a thing of laziness vs lack of opportunity, and can see why many people in rural areas think: If you are starving, then you are lazy; because food is made by YOU.

That is still not an excuse for such arrogance. Common sense and an ounce of reasoning should immediately raise ones level of awareness to understand that the entire worlds population is not living on a farm. The rural attitude of poor = lazy bum is inexcusable. As far as the rural way of live goes, frankly I find it a bore. Growing vegetables or raising hogs is not my idea of living.

kf0rt
01-03-2012, 01:36 PM
That is still not an excuse for such arrogance. Common sense and an ounce of reasoning should immediately raise ones level of awareness to understand that the entire worlds population is not living on a farm. The rural attitude of poor = lazy bum is inexcusable. As far as the rural way of live goes, frankly I find it a bore. Growing vegetables or raising hogs is not my idea of living.

Schlepping food from the kitchen to the tables ain't my idea of living either, but you'll never hear me tell that to the waitress.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM

It's akin to the arrogance of assuming "Everyone has access to the internet", or "Everyone has access to grid power", or "Nobody needs guns" that many people in non-rural places hold.

I'd suggest everyone (Myself as well I learned), needs to step back occasionally, and re-inspect their own situation and that of others to assist in understanding opposing viewpoints.

I mean, seriously John, I think many of the people living in Rural areas don't contemplate population density, only land mass occupation; ie "There's more farmland and rural areas than city" for example.

N8YX
01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
There's an absolute shitload of guns and gun owners in that part of the state. Might want to reconsider your choice of locales.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I

I mean, seriously John, I think many of the people living in Rural areas don't contemplate population density, only land mass occupation; ie "There's more farmland and rural areas than city" for example.

But its the 21st century and there is simply no excuse. Poverty goes beyond just not having food. And there is a lot of poverty in rural areas so what is the excuse ? It doesn't take any great brains to understand that not everyone has access to a farm. It would be like me saying that rural people don't deserve public assistance because they can all grow their own corn and raise their own hogs. The only excuse for ignorance is arrogance.

KB3LAZ
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I like rural OH, NY, KY, and TN. I have never had me the stinkeye. Otoh, I wouldnt go to NYC if you paid me. I think Iran is safer...

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
There's an absolute shitload of guns and gun owners in that part of the state. Might want to reconsider your choice of locales.

I don't have a problem with gun owners. I plan on buying a few myself. I have an issue with gun nut ninjas, who think they can save the world with their hidden pea shooters; or people who think they have some sort of right to own an armory, and to walk around town with said armory.

KB3LAZ
01-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't have a problem with gun owners. I plan on buying a few myself. I have an issue with gun nut ninjas, who think they can save the world with their hidden pea shooters; or people who think they have some sort of right to own an armory, and to walk around town with said armory.

Have you ever made a pea shooter? I have. Seriously, it shot peas with compressed air. We made them in science class in Jr High. Today my teacher would probably go to gitmo for teaching such a thing.

N8YX
01-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Define "armory", please.

KK4AMI
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Since we abolished slavery, I think its illegal to buy gun owners. An armory is defined as one gun on the right arm and one at the left. Thats about all I can carry around town.

kb2vxa
01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Having lived in West Creek (pronounced crick) in southern Ocean County, NJ I can say I had the same experience minus the farms. On the edge of the Pine Barrens you don't have to go far to find our Pineys, the Jersey version of Pennsyltucky hillbillies. I guess you can call them dunebillies, all of SNJ is rolling ancient sand dunes. People are friendly and you can toss that never talk to strangers thing, strangers come and talk to you just to say hello. As far as guns go everybody has them, everywhere you look out there in the pines you'll find a shack where a gun club meets. No such thing as hunting season, I heard shots in the woods all the time. The exception is deer season, maybe for the foreigners anyway, the greasy spoon diner in Warren Grove is where kills are registered as if the locals actually care. They have a saying about the Pineys, when you're walking down a sand track and hear a shot turn around and walk back the way you came because you won't hear the second. I don't know just how true that is but I wasn't about taking any chances.

Cue Dueling Banjos.

W7XF
01-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I prefer rural areas. Blame my Aspergers... but I do not function well in crowds.

N8YX
01-03-2012, 05:26 PM
I prefer rural areas.

... but I do not function well in crowds.

Same here, but in my line of work I can't move to the sticks. Maybe some day.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Define "armory", please.

An armory:
http://secretsandbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Armory.jpg

Another, bigger one:
http://kynghistory.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/5F5EBA11-0A77-4846-BDB5-8A140D6E1717/0/1957Frankfort_Armory_Dedication002.jpg

Anyone who thinks they should be able to arm themselves in such a manner, and not draw attention from the government, I have problems with.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Since we abolished slavery, I think its illegal to buy gun owners. An armory is defined as one gun on the right arm and one at the left. Thats about all I can carry around town.

Don't worry, Ron Paul is fixin' to change that :wink:

KG4CGC
01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
And there is a lot of poverty in rural areas so what is the excuse ?30 years of Republican policy. Goes back further really but ...

suddenseer
01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I have always felt uncomfortable in rural settings. Where many see rural areas as quaint, and close to nature, I seem a great potential for evil amidst the isolation that comprises rural life. I fee a lot safer in the deepest and darked back alleys of a major urban centre than the confines of a rural setting.One need not be afraid of rural settings for the most part. However, if banjos can be heard I'd get the heck out of dodge.

N8YX
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
An armory:

Another, bigger one:
http://kynghistory.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/5F5EBA11-0A77-4846-BDB5-8A140D6E1717/0/1957Frankfort_Armory_Dedication002.jpg

Anyone who thinks they should be able to arm themselves in such a manner, and not draw attention from the government, I have problems with.

What of the collector or competition shooter, then?

To be honest, I've known people living in OH whose personal, legal collections would put Cabela's Gun Library to shame - and probably would make an armorer or two around the world smile.

None of the folk I have in mind are what I would term a "ninja" or "high-speed operator". I think most of that ilk are off playing C-O-D or are busy getting kicked off the local ranges for blatant asshattery.

I tend to distrust the para/anarchy type with a lone bolt-action rifle a lot more than I do the collector, DCM/CMP competitor or USPSA guy with an entire safeload of Class II and III stuff.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
What of the collector or competition shooter, then?

The constitution only protects one purpose of owning a gun: Being a member of a well regulated militia. It says nothing about competition shooters, or collectors.

To be honest, I've known people living in OH whose personal, legal collections would put Cabela's Gun Library to shame - and probably would make an armorer or two around the world smile.

And they should expect to draw the attention of the government.

None of the folk I have in mind are what I would term a "ninja" or "high-speed operator". I think most of that ilk are off playing C-O-D or are busy getting kicked off the local ranges for blatant asshattery.

Many of them are also carrying assault rifles to presidential addresses... And blathering on about how they can out-draw a mugger who already has the drop on them, even though they are 60 years old, and 50 lbs over weight...

I tend to distrust the para/anarchy type with a lone bolt-action rifle a lot more than I do the collector, DCM/CMP competitor or USPSA guy with an entire safeload of Class II and III stuff.

I more or less just don't trust people who hide their guns on their persons. If someone wants to tote a rifle around, so be it.

Someone wants to tote around a couple of guns on their person, and a few in the truck, I just assume they are unhinged.

If someone swears they need a gun to feel safe, then I assume they are paranoid. We don't live in Somalia...

n2ize
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
An armory:

Another, bigger one:

I see no problem with this.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
I see no problem with this.

I don't either, necessarily. But, people who own such a stock should not be shocked that the government would like to keep and eye on them.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't either, necessarily. But, people who own such a stock should not be shocked that the government would like to keep and eye on them.

I agree, they should not be shocked that the government is watching but at the same time they should be appalled that the government is watching them,.

KC2UGV
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I agree, they should not be shocked that the government is watching but at the same time they should be appalled that the government is watching them,.

Not really. "Well regulated militia" comes to mind. In fact, they should be shocked, that the government isn't requiring them to attend the local NoGo drill weekends.

N8YX
01-03-2012, 06:44 PM

If you own legally registered Class II and III stuff, you darn well better believe they're going to know of its whereabouts.

If on the other hand you own illegal items of either type, I have no problem with you realizing an extended stay at Club Fed.

N8GAV
01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I lived in Gallia County Ohio for awhile,.first wife was from there. It was all right but missed the Ohio Valley.

n2ize
01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
If you own legally registered Class II and III stuff, you darn well better believe they're going to know of its whereabouts.

If on the other hand you own illegal items of either type, I have no problem with you realizing an extended stay at Club Fed.

I don't recognize any of this as being illegal.