PDA

View Full Version : One tiny engine

W5GA
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
I wonder if this is some kind of record? VERY cool! The craftsmanship is just incredible.

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

NQ6U
01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Didn't this already get notice here? I remember making some smart-assed comment about it being a pushrod engine.

BTW, as nicely done as it is, it doesn't actually function. He ran the thing on compressed air.

KG4CGC
01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I don't remember and thus, it's new to me!

K7SGJ
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Didn't this already get notice here? I remember making some smart-assed comment about it being a pushrod engine.

BTW, as nicely done as it is, it doesn't actually function. He ran the thing on compressed air.

So are a lot of things. The political machine comes to mind.

KJ3N
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
So are a lot of things. The political machine comes to mind.

That's HOT AIR, you ninnie! :slap:

K7SGJ
01-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Damn, missed it by [ ] that much.

n2ize
01-02-2012, 05:46 PM

Yeah, it's an amazing feat of machining and miniaturization. As fas as a running internal combustion ingine it falls short but is nonetheless interesting. Access to a good machine shop, time, and money can produce some very interesting stuff.

KK4AMI
01-02-2012, 06:06 PM
It'll work on fuel, it just needs a carburetor which I'm sure he is working on. His work is fantastic. That is a machinist that grew to a craftsman and then an artist. We won't have those artists soon. CNC machinery will get rid of most of the machinists, never allowing them to grow to level of artist. That guy was probably replaced by a CNC and now he is doing this in his retirement.

suddenseer
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Turning a crank on a manual engine lathe is a real labor of love. I did a 4 cyl project in school and will never do something that crazy again.

n2ize
01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
It'll work on fuel, it just needs a carburetor which I'm sure he is working on.
]
Don't be too sure. There are many other factors that come to play besides pretty machine work in determining if or how well a given motor will function.

His work is fantastic. That is a machinist that grew to a craftsman and then an artist. We won't have those artists soon. CNC machinery will get rid of most of the machinists, never allowing them to grow to level of artist. That guy was probably replaced by a CNC and now he is doing this in his retirement.[/QUOTE]

It definitely is an amazing piece of work The problem is for all intent and purposes CNC is better. It's expedient, efficient, and closer to the state of the art. In machining we don't need artists, we need the means to make parts fast and efficiently. CNC is that means.. As things progress needs change. Case and Point, there is far less of a need for makers of gaslights since electric became popular.

K7SGJ
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Turning a crank on a manual engine lathe is a real labor of love. I did a 4 cyl project in school and will never do something that crazy again.

Well (and I hate like hell to be the one to say it, but) whatever turns your crank.

NQ6U
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
It'll work on fuel, it just needs a carburetor

And an ignition system, for which I saw no provision made.

KG4CGC
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
You'd have to adapt glow plugs some how. I'm sure he could machine down the kind used in gas powered RC planes but he'd have to rework the heads. I guess it would have to run off the same fuel as an RC plane. That's pretty close to diesel and running it as such would simplify a few odds and ends. In relative terms, the new heads would be huge. Then there's the need for an oil sump and pan. The pistons looked like they had provisions for piston rings but I couldn't tell if he actually used any. I'm thinking not.

W1GUH
01-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I love everything about that video. The project, the craftsmanship, the video production. It's pure beauty!

KK4AMI
01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Big Oops on my part. No fuel system, no ignition system and no oil system. Hmm, could be a steam engine? One with a dry sump oil system?

n2ize
01-02-2012, 10:14 PM
well, even without the ability to run via internal combustion it is still a remarkable piece of machine work.

NQ6U
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I just noticed that the Spanish word for camshaft translates literally to "tree of levers." I like that.

kf4wxd
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Here's a link to a 1/5th scale Rolls-Royce Merlin XX, complete with a 2-stage supercharger. It was completed in 1981. The same guy is/was working on a Rolls Eagle 22. That's a 24 cylinder "H" block with contra-rotating propellers.

http://www.enginehistory.org/ModelEngines/merlin_xx.shtml

There is a link on the page to a video of the engine on a test stand being started and running.

Here's a Bristol Aquila, a sleeve-valve, nine-cylinder radial:

http://www.enginehistory.org/ModelEngines/bristol_aquila.shtml

This is what happens when you have an engineer with too much time on his hands and he has access to machine tools.

Russ

w2amr
01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
It'll work on fuel, it just needs a carburetor which I'm sure he is working on. His work is fantastic. That is a machinist that grew to a craftsman and then an artist. We won't have those artists soon. CNC machinery will get rid of most of the machinists, never allowing them to grow to level of artist. That guy was probably replaced by a CNC and now he is doing this in his retirement. Actually it needs an induction system, Spark plugs, wires, dist, and an oiling system. And the way its open, you would have oil dripping everywhere. Almost like an old Harley.:mrgreen:

suddenseer
01-06-2012, 06:27 AM
I love everything about that video. The project, the craftsmanship, the video production. It's pure beauty!I am in total agreement there. This is an excellent production, and interesting subject. These are the 'stuff' that makes good videos.

n2ize
01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Piston engine goes boing boing boing boing boing boing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzeGEHWMjo

kb2crk
01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

if it were a true diesel, (it looks very much like a locomotive engine) no ignition source would be needed. compression causes combustion as the heat of compression is enough to ignite diesel fuel.
only automotive diesels have glow plugs and they are only supposed to work during cold starts.

kb2crk
01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
You'd have to adapt glow plugs some how. I'm sure he could machine down the kind used in gas powered RC planes but he'd have to rework the heads. I guess it would have to run off the same fuel as an RC plane. That's pretty close to diesel and running it as such would simplify a few odds and ends. In relative terms, the new heads would be huge. Then there's the need for an oil sump and pan. The pistons looked like they had provisions for piston rings but I couldn't tell if he actually used any. I'm thinking not.

If you look real close as he is putting the pistons in the bores you can see the tiny rings.

n2ize
01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
if it were a true diesel, (it looks very much like a locomotive engine) no ignition source would be needed. compression causes combustion as the heat of compression is enough to ignite diesel fuel.
only automotive diesels have glow plugs and they are only supposed to work during cold starts.

I doubt it would support diesel combustion. It's basically an extremely nice model but not functional.

kb2crk
01-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I doubt it would support diesel combustion. It's basically an extremely nice model but not functional.

I doubt he could build an injector pump small enough for it....lol

NQ6U
01-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I doubt he could build an injector pump small enough for it....lol

I'd like to see him put a Jake Brake on it.

kf4wxd
01-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Piston engine goes boing boing boing boing boing boing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHzeGEHWMjo

Mazda has announced that the 2012 RX-8 will be the last Wankel-engined car they produce.

Russ

XE1/N5AL
01-11-2012, 01:22 AM
On the V-12 model video, did you see the final slide -- 1220 hours to build!

n2ize
01-11-2012, 06:14 AM
Mazda has announced that the 2012 RX-8 will be the last Wankel-engined car they produce.

Russ

What was the main reason that the Wankel engine never really caught on ?

kb2crk
01-11-2012, 07:42 AM
seal (wiper) problems on the rotor on the early models or so the big three said. The wipers did wear out on the quick side. A lack of torque which Americans so love.
Mazda bought the exclusive rights after the american companies passed on it.

W5GA
01-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Seal problems early on, and it was never very fuel efficient. The early cars were only good for about 18mpg.

K7SGJ
01-11-2012, 08:54 AM

The name. Too many people confused it with wanker and tried to jerk start their Mazda.