PDA

View Full Version : iPhone? Humor/vulgarity/extreme sarcasm intended.

W4GPL
01-01-2012, 11:55 AM
What the fuck is happening to me? Help. :lol: This message in intended with some humor.

I want an iPhone 4S, I want one bad. I'm tempted to jump on the bus and head across town to the Apple store, will someone please talk me down?

Something totally horrible happened to me at work a few weeks ago.. the assholes gave us iPad2s are part of a Christmas bonus. I mean, what fuckwads, right? How could they possibly ruin my life like this?! I was a perfectly self sesitaining man and now this gadget owns me. It's just the easiest most awesome little device in the history of history. I think I'd give up toilet paper before my iPad2. And now I've decided I want to be a hedonistic lazy douchebag and own more Apple hardware. I've probably already spent $200 @ iTunes and I work for a digital music download company as a software dev! How does that even happen?

I'm a hacker, Apple doesn't like me or my intentions, yet I'm still drawn to this shit. Principles, fuck 'em, right? :P

I have a $500 "smartphone" from Samsung. I even paid retail like some imbecilic. It's just a wreck, every little UI function pisses me off, I think their UI developers are stoned way too often. I accuse the iPad of being 'too clever', well this Android piece of crap isn't clever enough. Man, life is so unfair! ;) My handheld super computer sucks! My god!

So I'm totally going to buy an iPhone today.. (seriously), but I felt like I had to remind myself on this New Years Day how privileged we are in this country. We take fore granted so very much.. and thank God that we can! We are truly exceptional; maybe not for cause, but just lucky son of a bitches. Either way, I'm all in.. 'cause this shit is cool. :D

WØTKX
01-01-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.polls.newsvine.com/_vine/images/users/600/robtornoe/6173460.jpg

NQ6U
01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Good luck with that. I recently replaced my second-generation iPhone with an iPhone 4—not even the latest and greatest, but only $69 at Radio Shack—and I can't put the damned thing down. The improvement over my old phone is startling. I've started actually using the phone's Web browser on a regular basis rather than only when I really need to.

W4GPL
01-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Good luck with that. I recently replaced my second-generation iPhone with an iPhone 4—not even the latest and greatest, but only $69 at Radio Shack—and I can't put the damned thing down. The improvement over my old phone is startling. I've started actually using the phone's Web browser on a regular basis rather than only when I really need to.Yes. I don't even use my laptop anymore. I don't know that I'll ever purchase another laptop. It's crazy.. damn them for being so innovative. :) It's really remarkable.

ad4mg
01-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm a curmudgeon. Nothing less than a tower, 21" LCD, and 350 watt 5.1 surround sound for me.

Put down the toys, and wrap your crotch scratchers around a real computer ... :lol:

NQ6U
01-01-2012, 12:25 PM
You've got to hand it to Apple, they're very good at integrating software and hardware into a package that really works. And as far as lock-down goes, I really don't care about not being able to hack my phone—being able to use it when I need it and know it's going to work correctly is more important to me.

The Mac OS, OS X is actually pretty open, though, at least everything below Apple's proprietary UI layer. Most of the low-level stuff is Open Source, right down to the kernel.

WØTKX
01-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I do want an Ipad. But I can wait a little longer. My mom has one now, and refuses to use Winders. :lol:

However, my HP "Thin and Light" notebook I've had for a year and a half is damn nice.

W4GPL
01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm a curmudgeon. Nothing less than a tower, 21" LCD, and 350 watt 5.1 surround sound for me.

Put down the toys, and wrap your crotch scratchers around a real computer ... :lol:;) I won't follow thru with this offer, but let me hand you a free & clear iPad2 and see how you feel. I was there the 3rd of December and the 4th of December I was a convert. I was right there with you until a couple of weeks ago; and now I'm spending a couple hundred dollars a month on 'apps' and 'music' and buying a phone from them too. It's easy to be a curmudgeon until you're not. ;)

Edit: This is somewhat the point I was trying to make with my satirical post. We can do without these devices until we're exposed to it. I joke in that I say I can't live without it, but why should I? It's ingenious. It reconnects me with books & and periodcials. It keeps in touch with my friends and family. And it's the size of a People magazine. For the supposed 'value' it provides in my life, I'm sold. I don't like Apple or their exclusivity, but their product offerings allow me to see beyond their flaws.

And FWIW, my favorite quote to date is from Mr. Jobs, "stay hungry, stay foolish" -- if you're a startup cloud kiddie like me, you have to live by that. RIP Steve Jobs.

KJ3N
01-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't have the 4s, just the 4. I'm seriously considering an iPad2.

Financing the iPad2 will be a little tricky, but will a stack of Best Buy gift cards that I've accumulated (about $300), cashing in of my reward points from my bank ($250 Visa gift card), and some cash from ham gear sales, I should be OK.

I've not delved into apps too much on the iPhone 4, but that may change once I've got the iPad2.

ab1ga
01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
;) I won't follow thru with this offer, but let me hand you a free & clear iPad2 and see how you feel. I was there the 3rd of December and the 4th of December I was a convert. I was right there with you until a couple of weeks ago; and now I'm spending a couple hundred dollars a month on 'apps' and 'music' and buying a phone from them too. It's easy to be a curmudgeon until you're not. ;)

Can't you feel the fork? You're done.

:)

W4GPL
01-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I know. :(

PA5COR
01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I love my ( cheap as chips 2nd hand) HTC TyTn2 ;)

n2ize
01-01-2012, 04:41 PM

Put down the toys, and wrap your crotch scratchers around a real computer ... :lol:

Why not have both ?

W1GUH
01-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Why not have both ?

:clap::agree:

But seriously...there must be a crying need for some kind of 12-step program for this. I've seen so many people catch the disease. Hell, I have too! (But this may not be as serious as collecting vintage radios....that's pretty hard core and seems terminal...this may just be a passing trend!)

Enjoy! It is amazing what they're cramming into tiny, easy to use packages.

K7SGJ
01-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't know. I guess I'm at that point in life where time is a very precious commodity. I've come to realize that with the clock winding down, there just isn't enough time to give every interest all the time it deserves. More than just a cliché', there really aren't enough hours in my days. I know if I were to let the Ipad/Iphone bug bite me, some other interest would never be fulfilled. You young guys that have all the time in the world are lucky. At the current rate of evolution and miniaturization, I always wonder where technology will be in another 20 or 30 years. I think I know where I'll be, and technology won't be an issue.

W1GUH
01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't know. I guess I'm at that point in life where time is a very precious commodity. I've come to realize that with the clock winding down, there just isn't enough time to give every interest all the time it deserves. More than just a cliché', there really aren't enough hours in my days. I know if I were to let the Ipad/Iphone bug bite me, some other interest would never be fulfilled. You young guys that have all the time in the world are lucky. At the current rate of evolution and miniaturization, I always wonder where technology will be in another 20 or 30 years. I think I know where I'll be, and technology won't be an issue.

Ain't that the truth!

NQ6U
01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I always wonder where technology will be in another 20 or 30 years. I think I know where I'll be, and technology won't be an issue.

Same here, although in my case, I suspect good air conditioning may be of interest.

K7SGJ
01-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Same here, although in my case, I suspect good air conditioning may be of interest.

After 20 some years at this place, we finally put ac in a couple of years ago. The efficiency of the new units (19 seer) make it very cost effective. It actually costs less to operate than the cooler did, and it's a hell of a lot more comfortable. (Especially in July and August) Besides, it will probably extend you life some, enabling you to enjoy an extra hobby or two.

KC2UGV
01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
What the fuck is happening to me? Help. :lol: This message in intended with some humor.

I want an iPhone 4S, I want one bad. I'm tempted to jump on the bus and head across town to the Apple store, will someone please talk me down?

Something totally horrible happened to me at work a few weeks ago.. the assholes gave us iPad2s are part of a Christmas bonus. I mean, what fuckwads, right? How could they possibly ruin my life like this?! I was a perfectly self sesitaining man and now this gadget owns me. It's just the easiest most awesome little device in the history of history. I think I'd give up toilet paper before my iPad2. And now I've decided I want to be a hedonistic lazy douchebag and own more Apple hardware. I've probably already spent $200 @ iTunes and I work for a digital music download company as a software dev! How does that even happen?

I'm a hacker, Apple doesn't like me or my intentions, yet I'm still drawn to this shit. Principles, fuck 'em, right? :P

I have a $500 "smartphone" from Samsung. I even paid retail like some imbecilic. It's just a wreck, every little UI function pisses me off, I think their UI developers are stoned way too often. I accuse the iPad of being 'too clever', well this Android piece of crap isn't clever enough. Man, life is so unfair! ;) My handheld super computer sucks! My god!

So I'm totally going to buy an iPhone today.. (seriously), but I felt like I had to remind myself on this New Years Day how privileged we are in this country. We take fore granted so very much.. and thank God that we can! We are truly exceptional; maybe not for cause, but just lucky son of a bitches. Either way, I'm all in.. 'cause this shit is cool. :D

Take that Samsung phone you have, and load CyanogenMod 7 on it. You'll never look back.

USB tether? Check.
Wifi Tether? Check.
Super-fast? Check.
Clean UI? Check.

Most of the pain with Android phones has naught to do with Android, and much to do with the crapola the OEM's put on there. CyanogenMod is almost pure Android goodness.

KC2UGV
01-02-2012, 03:23 PM
;) I won't follow thru with this offer, but let me hand you a free & clear iPad2 and see how you feel. I was there the 3rd of December and the 4th of December I was a convert. I was right there with you until a couple of weeks ago; and now I'm spending a couple hundred dollars a month on 'apps' and 'music' and buying a phone from them too. It's easy to be a curmudgeon until you're not. ;)

Edit: This is somewhat the point I was trying to make with my satirical post. We can do without these devices until we're exposed to it. I joke in that I say I can't live without it, but why should I? It's ingenious. It reconnects me with books & and periodcials. It keeps in touch with my friends and family. And it's the size of a People magazine. For the supposed 'value' it provides in my life, I'm sold. I don't like Apple or their exclusivity, but their product offerings allow me to see beyond their flaws.

And FWIW, my favorite quote to date is from Mr. Jobs, "stay hungry, stay foolish" -- if you're a startup cloud kiddie like me, you have to live by that. RIP Steve Jobs.

I spent 4 hours with an iPad 2, and still couldn't figure out how to use it efficiently. Sticking every UI interaction under a single button is stupid. What if you have no idea what the gestures are?

I handed it to my 8 year old. He couldn't figure it out either after an hour. I handed my 8 year old my Android tablet, and he was up and running with Angry Birds in about 1 minute. Doodling after 15. Trying to start a SIP call to "Call mom's phone" after another 10.

n2ize
01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Phones are the "heroin" of the 21st century.

KJ3N
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Phones are the "heroin" of the 21st century.

Heroin, or Crack?

W4GPL
01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Take that Samsung phone you have, and load CyanogenMod 7 on it. You'll never look back.

USB tether? Check.
Wifi Tether? Check.
Super-fast? Check.
Clean UI? Check.

Most of the pain with Android phones has naught to do with Android, and much to do with the crapola the OEM's put on there. CyanogenMod is almost pure Android goodness.I have and it's still crap. But it's crap I'm going to live with for now.

And strongly disagree that's a functional UI. Everything I do with it makes me insane. It's just so clunky and that's even with the upgraded keyboard app. Hate it. I thought the phone was broken, so I grabbed someone else's to play around with it and his sucked just as much. Hate it. ;)

W3WN
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Meanwhile, it's almost impossible get a phone that's just a phone. BestBuy's sales staff tried to talk me into a new phone right before Xmas (we were looking for a cover for the daughter's Samsung), and they almost went into shock at the notion that I did NOT want a phone to browse the web, listen to music, text, take movies... just a phone that's a phone.

...what's another $30 per phone per month for a Verizon data plan anyway, right?...

kf0rt
01-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Meanwhile, it's almost impossible get a phone that's just a phone. BestBuy's sales staff tried to talk me into a new phone right before Xmas (we were looking for a cover for the daughter's Samsung), and they almost went into shock at the notion that I did NOT want a phone to browse the web, listen to music, text, take movies... just a phone that's a phone.

...what's another $30 per phone per month for a Verizon data plan anyway, right?...

Tracfone FTW. I've had mine about 5 years now; "just works" and I guarantee I haven't spent $400 total.

WØTKX
01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I still have a Motorola Razr V3i. One of my favorite "just a phones".

My boss just got an HTC Rezound on Verizon for personal use. Really nice.

W1GUH
01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
I still have a Motorola Razr V3i. One of my favorite "just a phones".

My boss just got an HTC Rezound on Verizon for personal use. Really nice.

I won't part with my Razr, never, ever. Had a so-called "smart phone" (pocket toy...I've got something better to play with in my pocket!) and freakin' HATED it. For starters, NONE of those damn things seem to know, much less care, that some of us like not to lose them, so we stuff them securely in our pockets. Well, that don't work with a pocket toy. I missed so many damn calls because, in the process of pulling it out of my pocket I hit the button twice...effectively hanging up on the caller. Argh!!!! Why the HELL can't I get a pocket toy with a flip top? Probably becase everyone's copying Apple?

Don't think I ever butt-called, but it could have happened.

Number 2 (heh-heh)

I can text with one hand with my RAZR, and don't have to be in that silly "typing with my thumbs" posture when I do. True, I'm not addicted to constantly texting every little thing in my life, I only really text important, brief information that's better written the said. OTOH...seems that there's lots and lots of people out there who are scared shitless to actually have a voice conversation on the phone. They'll text a blue streak, but will they even answer a voice call? Nope!!!!!

Cheesh!!! Hope my RAZR lasts forever...it's too nice to ever replace.

NA4BH
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Your ass has been tagged. :rofl: Next will be the iMAC. Push the plunger on the syringe slowly, you're hooked. As far as giving up toilet paper, they have an app for that.

We have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads

NQ6U
01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Your ass has been tagged. :rofl: Next will be the iMAC. Push the plunger on the syringe slowly, you're hooked. As far as giving up toilet paper, they have an app for that.

We have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads

Tell me about it. We have four (count 'em) iPhones, a MacBook Pro, a plain vanilla MacBook, a Mac mini, a Mac G3 and a second generation iPod.

NA4BH
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Tell me about it. We have four (count 'em) iPhones, a MacBook Pro, a plain vanilla MacBook, a Mac mini, a Mac G3 and a second generation iPod.

I forgot about the iPODS, 2 of them.

ETA: For those of you with the IPAD2 or the iPOD touch, you can download the "MAGICJACK" app (free) and make calls for free.

kf0rt
01-05-2012, 10:15 AM
PWNED.

Alla youse. :rofl:

W1GUH
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Tried an iPad, but it didn't really fit right, was completely uncomfortable & leaked like crazy!!! HOW do people actually use them?

NA4BH
01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Was that the thong version?

W1GUH
01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Didn't know about that. I'll check it out.

KJ3N
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
PWNED.

Alla youse. :rofl:

Oh, yeah, I'm there. :yes:

I'm playing with my new iPad 2 right now. I can see myself not bothering with the main desktop machine for most of what I do at home. This is what I needed to do a year ago. So glad I didn't go with the impulse of getting a netbook a couple of years ago.

WØTKX
01-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Waiting for the iPad 3 to come out, and see if iPad 2 prices drop.... or get a used one.

W4RLR
01-22-2012, 02:36 AM
So I'm totally going to buy an iPhone today.. (seriously), but I felt like I had to remind myself on this New Years Day how privileged we are in this country. We take fore granted so very much.. and thank God that we can! We are truly exceptional; maybe not for cause, but just lucky son of a bitches. Either way, I'm all in.. 'cause this shit is cool. :DWelcome to the bright side of the Force, Jeff. The only Windows boxes I own are for my home business, which has specialized Windows software to run certain devices. At $20 a pop at the county surplus sale, they were cheaper than Macs. But the house is full of Apple devices, and everyone in the family has an iPhone. The kids have the 4S version. My laptop is a Mac. I'm writing this on a Mac. My home theater will be run by a Mac Mini. I've been an Apple acolyte since the days of the Apple II.

W4RLR
01-22-2012, 02:42 AM
I spent 4 hours with an iPad 2, and still couldn't figure out how to use it efficiently. Sticking every UI interaction under a single button is stupid. What if you have no idea what the gestures are?

I handed it to my 8 year old. He couldn't figure it out either after an hour. I handed my 8 year old my Android tablet, and he was up and running with Angry Birds in about 1 minute. Doodling after 15. Trying to start a SIP call to "Call mom's phone" after another 10.The iPad is a godsend to my daughter and son in law. Our grandson is autistic. At five years old he still cannot speak. But hand the kid an iPad and he's a communicating fool. For that I will be eternally grateful to Steve Jobs. Paw Paw can actually communicate with his grandson through the magic of an iPad and its apps made for autistic children.

NQ6U
01-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Waiting for the iPad 3 to come out, and see if iPad 2 prices drop.... or get a used one.

There has been some speculation that when the iPad 3 is released, Apple will keep the iPad 2 around but drop the price to complete with the Kindle Fire. If that happens, I suspect the Amazon tablet will be toast.

KC2UGV
01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
The iPad is a godsend to my daughter and son in law. Our grandson is autistic. At five years old he still cannot speak. But hand the kid an iPad and he's a communicating fool. For that I will be eternally grateful to Steve Jobs. Paw Paw can actually communicate with his grandson through the magic of an iPad and its apps made for autistic children.

Autistic kids have shit tough enough as it is, and I wont berate ANY method a child working with that can use.

KB3LAZ
01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I guess I will just never get trends. My cousins are always talking about the latest and greatest tab or smart phone. 1000$ a year on two phones. Insanity.

W4RLR
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I guess I will just never get trends. My cousins are always talking about the latest and greatest tab or smart phone. 1000$ a year on two phones. Insanity.Ah, it's only money, and you can't take it with you. Like buying my new house, do I NEED garage space for five cars? No. Do I need an unfinished loft, a blank canvas for my man cave? No. But the right house came along at the right time, and the things I mentioned came along with the house I NEEDED, as I want a paid for house to go to the XYL when I go SK. The extras are just bennies. The view and the clean air might put me in a better frame of mind where I can enjoy the stuff I enjoy a lot longer. Having money in the bank is great for emergencies, but digits in a bank's computer file won't bring you any happiness.

KB3LAZ
01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Ah, it's only money, and you can't take it with you. Like buying my new house, do I NEED garage space for five cars? No. Do I need an unfinished loft, a blank canvas for my man cave? No. But the right house came along at the right time, and the things I mentioned came along with the house I NEEDED, as I want a paid for house to go to the XYL when I go SK. The extras are just bennies. The view and the clean air might put me in a better frame of mind where I can enjoy the stuff I enjoy a lot longer. Having money in the bank is great for emergencies, but digits in a bank's computer file won't bring you any happiness.

No but I still cant justify it. Then again, I would never utilize them for what they are. I hate cell phones. In fact I no longer have one. Once in Spain I will have one again so that Pilar can txt me or what not if she needs me to pick something up from the store etc.

All about what gets you off I suppose and with me it isnt cell phones. 1000$? Thats a new AM setup. :D

W4GPL
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I think it's very easy to cast stones until you actually have a state of the art smartphone or tablet.. then you'll get the "trend". And when you say "trend", I suspect it's no more of a fad than the personal computer or this new fangled Internet. In the next few years, tablets will likely be the only type of computing device the average American owns. The death of the laptop & desktop is near.

I'm currently traveling half way across the world and my laptop is at home.

KC2UGV
01-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I think it's very easy to cast stones until you actually have a state of the art smartphone or tablet.. then you'll get the "trend". And when you say "trend", I suspect it's no more of a fad than the personal computer or this new fangled Internet. In the next few years, tablets will likely be the only type of computing device the average American owns. The death of the laptop & desktop is near.

I don't know if I'd be able to leave the laptop at home, but it gets carried much less often. Generally stays in the car now.

KB3LAZ
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM

I have had smart phones and a tab. I had the tab exactly two weeks and posted it on Ebay. I simply let my phone contract expire and canceled it. I just dont have a need for it. My laptop stays at home unless I am going to campus.

Unless it is for work or school I simply dont need to take it with me. At home I game now and again, read up on radios, use skype, or post on here or the zed. That's it. I really dont need to do any of that while on the go.

W4GPL
01-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't know if I'd be able to leave the laptop at home, but it gets carried much less often. Generally stays in the car now.I was a little twitchy about the idea of leaving my laptop at home, but I haven't regretted it thus far. I have a nice little Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad that all fits in a single case.. without the keyboard, I'd need the laptop. I can't spend my days typing on that on-screen keyboard.. it would be far too time consuming.

NA4BH
01-22-2012, 11:56 PM
I never take my laptop with me anymore.

KB3LAZ
01-23-2012, 01:43 AM
I never take my laptop with me anymore.

I will prolly do so even less than I do now once in Spain. :) Ive been cutting the technological leash as it is. Feels good. Aside from the forums I dont really use the net anymore. It feels good. Once I am keeping busy on top of that. ^^ I may be free.

KC2UGV
01-23-2012, 08:12 AM
I was a little twitchy about the idea of leaving my laptop at home, but I haven't regretted it thus far. I have a nice little Bluetooth keyboard for the iPad that all fits in a single case.. without the keyboard, I'd need the laptop. I can't spend my days typing on that on-screen keyboard.. it would be far too time consuming.

Well, I am most likely not a typical use-case for a tablet. I need the ability to bring up an X session, and I need development tools like Java, and an IDE (Or, Vi at the least).

Remoting into another machine is fine, for some things. But, often, I NEED the power of a full computer. One reason I went for the Viewsonic G Tablet: I can fire up Ubuntu on it, should the need arise.

KB3LAZ
01-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe yall need to go retro with some cup phones. Remember your roots! :D