PDA

View Full Version : Richmond, Va: Frostfest Feb 4

ad4mg
01-01-2012, 05:25 AM
http://www.rats.net/jml/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=54

The Mid-Atlantic's largest winter hamfest. I have good information that at least a couple of Islanders will be in attendance. Trey, KI4ITV, is usually there, and this year, Mike, KK4AMI, is coming down from Charlottesville!

We're right smack in the middle of the east coast, so I hope some of you can make the trip! I sure look forward to meeting Mike, and anyone else who shows up!

The new venue is quite nice ... they spread the event out among several buildings. It's a good sized event for those who've never made it.

Come on down to Richmond on 2/4/12 ... hell, it's even been known to snow on this one! :hyper:

ki4itv
01-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Be there or be square! RATS usually puts on a nice show.
...and don't worry ladies, KWW always makes sure the girls room is fully stocked with fluffy tushie paper.
wtf?

ki4itv
01-01-2012, 01:33 PM
See ya' there. :clap::cool2:

KK4AMI
01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.rats.net/jml/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=54

The Mid-Atlantic's largest winter hamfest. I have good information that at least a couple of Islanders will be in attendance. Trey, KI4ITV, is usually there, and this year, Mike, KK4AMI, is coming down from Charlottesville!

We're right smack in the middle of the east coast, so I hope some of you can make the trip! I sure look forward to meeting Mike, and anyone else who shows up!

The new venue is quite nice ... they spread the event out among several buildings. It's a good sized event for those who've never made it.

Come on down to Richmond on 2/4/12 ... hell, it's even been known to snow on this one! :hyper:

You are really being optimistic about the Snow. I've been to Frostfest about 5 times and often wonder where they got the term "Frost". If I remember correctly they pushed the date of the Frostfest from Jan to Feb just lookin' for snow. :)

W3WN
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
WB4GCS is trying to organize a group from here to head down. No promises, but I'm going to try.

ad4mg
01-01-2012, 05:18 PM
WB4GCS is trying to organize a group from here to head down. No promises, but I'm going to try.
That would be awesome! I hope it works out ... it is a good show.

Undertakers will be standing by. This event is right in his back yard! :lol:

W3WN
01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
That would be awesome! I hope it works out ... it is a good show.

Undertakers will be standing by. This event is right in his back yard! :lol:Would he dare unearth himself and show? Hmmm...

Found out last night that the play my daughter's in ("Zombie Prom") is running from the 31st through the evening of the 4th. So I suspect that I won't be able to go.

W7XF
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
<snip> KWW always makes sure the girls room is fully stocked with fluffy tushie paper.<snip>

In other words, UTs will be standing by? Goddess save us all!!! :rofl:

K7SGJ
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Would he dare unearth himself and show? Hmmm...

Found out last night that the play my daughter's in ("Zombie Prom") is running from the 31st through the evening of the 4th. So I suspect that I won't be able to go.

That's too bad. I was hoping you could swing by and pick me up.

W3WN
01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
That's too bad. I was hoping you could swing by and pick me up.
I'll speak to Jim. Hell, he was a US Navy Captain, I'm sure he's got some connections.

Definitely can't come. The nights that we're not sitting in the audience, the boss has "volunteered" us to help out. Ah well, maybe next year.

K7SGJ
01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I'll speak to Jim. Hell, he was a US Navy Captain, I'm sure he's got some connections.

Definitely can't come. The nights that we're not sitting in the audience, the boss has "volunteered" us to help out. Ah well, maybe next year.

Not a whole lot of water out here.

Global warming and all. Oh shit............now what have I done??

ki4itv
02-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Today is the day folks.
I'll be the rather young looking dude in the surf-shirt, blue flip-flops, and Orange Beach hat who doesn't smell like last weeks baked ham.

K7SGJ
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Today is the day folks.
I'll be the rather young looking dude in the surf-shirt, blue flip-flops, and Orange Beach hat who doesn't smell like last weeks baked ham.

They won't let you in.

ad4mg
02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
They won't let you in.
Bwaa! They did ...

L - R: Mike, KK4AMI, the senior citizen (me), Trey, Ki4ITV

Had a great time!

KK4AMI
02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Bwaa! They did ...

L - R: Mike, KK4AMI, the senior citizen (me), Trey, Ki4ITV

Had a great time!

I don't know if that really proves we were in anything but an empty garage. I was kind of disappointed in the number of empty tables. Fun. yes but there have been better Frostfests, no?

ad4mg
02-04-2012, 07:41 PM
I don't know if that really proves we were in anything but an empty garage. I was kind of disappointed in the number of empty tables. Fun. yes but there have been better Frostfests, no?

I'd say this one was par for the course. The last one I attended (4 yrs ago) seemed just about the same. Looked like a bigger crowd this time, but yes, some empty tables.

It's Richmond. We don't support anything here. Our biggest sports venue is the Richmond Flying Squirrels ... :wtf:

I understand we didn't even sell out the last two NASCAR races. Unheard of in years gone by!

ki4itv
02-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Well, I certainly look a little more stiff than I was feeling...:cool2:

It was a pleasure trying to stand up next to two great guys. And NO my f'ing hat is not turned around backwards. Really!

ki4itv
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
See Mike, you are taller than me. ;)

W3WN
02-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Well, I got a ton of great pictures, and a 3 minute video of the grand finale... the cast, all in Zombie makeup, doing Thriller.

Unfortunately, I got jostled in the crowd on the way out, and the camera is DOA. And nothing else in the house will read a 4 GB SDRAM card, I just found out. A quick trip to Bea$tBy in the morning will fix that problem. *sigh*

ki4itv
02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Gee Ron, all I got was this picture of a rubber erection

At first glance it must be a pretty exciting show.

KG4CGC
02-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Youse guys are prettier than the average ham.

KK4AMI
02-05-2012, 07:13 AM

CONFIRMED!!! You have no taste. I was suckin' in the ol' gut for all I was worth!

kf0rt
02-05-2012, 07:28 AM

That Luke dood is a big guy. Who knew?

ad4mg
02-05-2012, 08:17 AM
That Luke dood is a big guy. Who knew?

6'-2", 235 ... fully qualifies me as:

a. old, fat pipe welder
b. old, fat ham

I tried to stick my stomach out as far as possible to provide some cover for Mike ... 8)

Not sure why I was squinting. The photo was taken well before the post event festivities took place. Mike was such a pleasant fellow that I'll never be able to rough him up in the politics forum again!

We had a great time, saw some old friends and a couple of enemies too. Ended the day by stopping in on my youngest son and pounding down a few cold ones with him and his neighbors.

Ask Trey about my jukebox on wheels! We stuffed him in the back seat and pounded him with a couple thousand watts of Linkin Park ... he never even flinched!

WX7P
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
You guys meet up with the UT?

WX7P
02-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Mike was such a pleasant fellow that I'll never be able to rough him up in the politics forum again!

Can't have that! We NEED our ideological punching bag!

ad4mg
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
You guys meet up with the UT?

We searched high and low for Greg. Apparently, UT's were not standing by unless it was at the gun show next door! :-D

ad4mg
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Can't have that! We NEED our ideological punching bag!

Everything seems to change when you meet people in person. Nobody seems to match their keyboard persona.

I genuinely enjoyed meeting and chatting with Mike. I'd like to meet many more Islanders before the big guy upstairs (wishful thinking for the likes of me ...) punches my ticket for me!

ki4itv
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Ask Trey about my jukebox on wheels! We stuffed him in the back seat and pounded him with a couple thousand watts of Linkin Park ... he never even flinched!

No shit! Once the car becomes fully involved, the vibrations of your internal organs make a successful escape unlikely. :yes:
I'm pretty confident that I now know exactly what it's like to crawl in one of the bass cabs at a Who concert.

KK4AMI
02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Everything seems to change when you meet people in person. Nobody seems to match their keyboard persona.

I genuinely enjoyed meeting and chatting with Mike. I'd like to meet many more Islanders before the big guy upstairs (wishful thinking for the likes of me ...) punches my ticket for me!

Don't stop on my account. I still enjoy a good verbal massage!

NQ6U
02-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Not that that's saying much. Quasimodo was prettier than the average ham.

KG4CGC
02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
We searched high and low for Greg. Apparently, UT's were not standing by unless it was at the gun show next door! :-D

He was hiding in the Mensroom. You know, keeping the loitering to a minimum.

K7SGJ
02-05-2012, 07:59 PM

That reminds me. I have to make a run to Pep Boys.

kf0rt
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM

That reminds me. I have to make a run to Pep Boys.

Time for a carburetor tune-up kit?

ki4itv
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, its taken me almost 48hrs to recall the specifics...but, it seems that after the show I was lured away to be bathed in local southern hospitality, when I looked up to find out why here, and why now...There's our sign.
:cool2::rock:

WX7P
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Don't stop on my account. I still enjoy a good verbal massage!

Ok, Mike. You SUCK!

Feel better now?

ki4itv
02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
The love just shines right on through.
Why it's almost blinding. :;):

KK4AMI
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Ok, Mike. You SUCK!

Feel better now?

Thanks. You almost sounded just like Mom:sadgoodbye: