PDA

View Full Version : Tintin Movie

NQ6U
12-31-2011, 08:30 PM
The XYL and I took the grandkids to see the new animated Tintin movie this afternoon. It wasn't all that great but there must have been a ham involved somewhere on the production crew: one scene took place in the radio room of an old steam ship and all the radios were excellent renderings of real Hallicrafters rigs, including an S-20R general coverage receiver that the kids both recognized immediately as being identical to the one that's sitting in my shack.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/SkyChampion.jpg

K7SGJ
12-31-2011, 08:32 PM
You've trained them well, and should be very proud.

n2ize
12-31-2011, 09:36 PM
The main thing I like about TinTin is that it was originally a French comic done by the Belgian artist "Herge'"

w3bny
01-01-2012, 04:31 PM
The main thing I like about TinTin is that it was originally a French comic done by the Belgian artist "Herge'"

And drawn by South Koreans and marketed by mexicans. Its s "celebrate" diversity kind of movie

KK4AMI
01-02-2012, 09:23 AM
I saw the uncut version "RinTinTin"

n2ize
01-02-2012, 11:48 AM

TinTin should have teamed up with Rin Tin Tin but...

Rin Tin Tin swallowed a pin
Took him to the doctor
But the doctor wasn't in
And that was the end of Rin Tin Tin.

suddenseer
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I had the comics when I was a youngster. I am planning on taking my granddaughter to the film.

n2ize
01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I had the comics when I was a youngster. I am planning on taking my granddaughter to the film.

They were some of the best comics written. definately take your daughter to see it.TinTin is a timeless classic.

Jeff K1NSS
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
As a TinTin fan, I was put off by the previews. That motion capture CGI strikes me cold, same way as the animation of Polar Express. I think the world of both Herge and Chris Van Allsburg's work, and I'm a fan of many animation styles, Disney, Bakshi, Jay Ward, just about anything but what I saw of TinTin and Polar Express, which admittedly wasn't too much. Very predictable OF response, I know, I know. Sometimes that chilly quality fits better than others, like in the semi recent Beowulf. Back to TinTin though -- Snowy and his simply sublime expressions and takes are the life force that shines most in TinTin I missed it in the trailers. Tell me it's there and I'll see the movie.

Jeff K1NSS
01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
The XYL and I took the grandkids to see the new animated Tintin movie this afternoon. It wasn't all that great but there must have been a ham involved somewhere on the production crew: one scene took place in the radio room of an old steam ship and all the radios were excellent renderings of real Hallicrafters rigs, including an S-20R general coverage receiver that the kids both recognized immediately as being identical to the one that's sitting in my shack.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/SkyChampion.jpg

It's a charmer, that Champ.

NQ6U
01-02-2012, 07:24 PM
As a TinTin fan, I was put off by the previews. That motion capture CGI strikes me cold, same way as the animation of Polar Express. I think the world of both Herge and Chris Van Allsburg's work, and I'm a fan of many animation styles, Disney, Bakshi, Jay Ward, just about anything but what I saw of TinTin and Polar Express, which admittedly wasn't too much. Very predictable OF response, I know, I know. Sometimes that chilly quality fits better than others, like in the semi recent Beowulf. Back to TinTin though -- Snowy and his simply sublime expressions and takes are the life force that shines most in TinTin I missed it in the trailers. Tell me it's there and I'll see the movie.

It's not there, and the motion capture animation and computer renderings came perilously close to the borders of Uncanny Valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley). Give me one of Hayao Miyazaki's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki) beautifully hand-crafted films any day. Also, 3D still does nothing for me; adding the third dimension does not make a mediocre movie good and a good movie is not improved.

n2ize
01-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Better yet, pick up a a good book on a serious topic and learn something new. After all. It's now or never.

w3bny
01-03-2012, 12:45 PM

didnt even know he was circumcised...but thanks for looking and reporting back to the group! :wtf: