PDA

View Full Version : COBOL

n2ize
12-30-2011, 07:58 PM
For any COBOL fans who want to create COBOL code on an open source framework... The general outline of this is

COBOL code + translator ->C code + native C compiler+ linking = executable binary.

http://www.opencobol.org/

W1GUH
12-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Ah, COBOL. The mad cap flurry to beat 2000!

n2ize
12-30-2011, 10:30 PM
I got it to compile and run here. Only problem I had was the executable didn't have to access the shared library "libcob.so.1" because I didn't include it in the path. Once I did it ran fine. Now that I have a working COBOL compiler on my system i haven't the slightest idea what I am going to do with it. I don't use much COBOL round here.

W1GUH
12-31-2011, 05:08 AM
I dabbled a little in the pre-2000 crunch. Looked like it would have been a fun trip down memory lane.

n2ize
12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
I dabbled a little in the pre-2000 crunch. Looked like it would have been a fun trip down memory lane.

I knew a few COBOL programmers in the past. Most of them are now retired or semi-retired. From what I understand there is still COBOL code running out there and there are still people doing COBOL. For the things I do COBOL is not the language I would chose. FORTRAN, yeah.... I mostly use Lisp, C, Python, Perl, and asy (a free C-like vector-graphics language).

kb2vxa
12-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Oh boy, that takes me back to an uncle and his primitive business computer he programmed in COBOL. Then a TV series stole the name for the home planet this crew came from... oh FRACK! As an aside, ironically the name given for the method for extracting oil from shale is fracking. Over under sideways down, when will it end? (;->)