PDA

View Full Version : I'm kinda hating Americans...today at least

KK4AMI
12-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Some idiot thought it would be funny to rip our house sign down and steal it. They tied a rope around it and yanked the 8 ft 4x4 it was mounted to down. I'd believed I'd thought of everything, I welded the sign to the wrought iron yard arm, cemented the 4x4 into the ground and set the whole sign back so it couldn't be hit or reached. The worse thing is they did it right under my nose. I do have security cameras, but that stupid sign is about 100 yds at the bottom of my driveway. That will probably be outside of the cameras motion sensor.

K7SGJ
12-29-2011, 07:48 AM
C4 is your friend.

N8YX
12-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Any other signs in your neighborhood getting vandalized?

KK4AMI
12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Any other signs in your neighborhood getting vandalized?

Nope, I did look. Ours was too cutesy I think. My wife had it made, two beagle pups in a nest and the name "Beagles Nest". Its been up for about 6 years. Also it was done in broad daylight, the gall!

N8YX
12-29-2011, 10:33 AM
If it's fairly unique I would start cruising the neighborhood and look for it. Check Craigslist. Metal thieves were foremost in my mind but if no one else has had signs or mailboxes being taken then I would rule that theory out.

The perps are more than likely going to display their new trophy or try to sell it. Of course, dumb criminals are their own worst enemies and can often be caught by capitalizing on this fact.

n2ize
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Also check U-Tube. If it was done by jerks it turns out that the jerks often put videos of their own property theft/vandalism up on U-Tube. A few jerks have gotten caught by the cops this way. See if anything turns up over the next couple weeks or months.

W2NAP
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
im thinking metal theft

W3WN
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Got any college-age kids in the neighborhood, home for the holidays, who need a new "trinket" to decorate their dorm room? If not necessarily them, visiting friends of theirs?

n2ize
12-29-2011, 11:42 AM
im thinking metal theft

it would depend on what the sign was made of. If it was a nice chunk of copper then yeah it could be metal theft. Check the local junk yards.

ka4dpo
12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Got any college-age kids in the neighborhood, home for the holidays, who need a new "trinket" to decorate their dorm room? If not necessarily them, visiting friends of theirs?

That's exactly what I was thinking, you beat me to it. Unless it is made of some rare metal that would fetch a big profit most thieves would never risk ripping it out of the ground in broad daylight. Only kids would be stupid enough to do that.

KK4AMI
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I've cruised the area. Not a piece of the white 4x4, no garland not even the red bow did I find along the side of the road. The only metal in the sign was the wrought iron cross bar that held up the sign. The sign itself was synthetic wood made to look like one of those old tavern signs. Next one goes up with 6 inch steel pipe. Hope the insurance covers some of it. We have UVA here so dorm decoration rates high as a good guess.

n2ize
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Sounds like it was a wise assed prank pulled by a bunch of jerks. The jerks probably still have the sign. Like someone said above, maybe a dorm room decoration. Too bad you didn't spot them in the act. If it were me and I spotted them I might have popped off a few shots in their general direction.

WØTKX
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Condemning all Americans (or any group) for the actions of one, two, or a few... is a standard fallacy that causes unrest.

That being said, Lucy Van Pelt should be a suspect. Due to known anti-beagle activities. Just ask Snoopy. :neener:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9ztpqVAOT1qawyivo1_500.jpg

Sorry for your theft, it SUCKS! I've been robbed a few times.
One bad incident convinced me to always carry insurance.

W3WN
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking, you beat me to it. Unless it is made of some rare metal that would fetch a big profit most thieves would never risk ripping it out of the ground in broad daylight. Only kids would be stupid enough to do that.Years ago, the father of a co-worker (at a previous employer) made wooden replicas of the Pittsburgh Penguin's "triangle" logo. I bought one for my son, and he proudly deposited it on the front lawn for all to see.

After a few weeks, it got stolen. I ended up getting a replacement (the last one, the creator must have been warned about copyright infringement and stopped) which never left his room.

Fast foward to the summer. The college kids who had rented out a house up the street had moved out (got kicked out by the parent who paid the rent, who'd also pulled their kid out of school due to poor grades and excess drinking & carousing), and I'm walking the dog the night before trash pickup. In the pile of debris that was being cleaned out of the house was the remnants of the sign; broken, and with a rather tasteless comment painted on it. The bastids.

NQ6U
12-29-2011, 01:04 PM
The theft of your sign was probably the work of a bunch of godless commie liberals.

kf0rt
12-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Whut! Youse guys haven't HUNG somebody yet? Slackers

ki4itv
12-29-2011, 04:14 PM
The theft of your sign was probably the work of a bunch of godless commie liberals.

Yea, but I didn't do it. I ain't even got a garage, you can call home an ask my wife.

WX7P
12-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Yea, but I didn't do it. I ain't even got a garage, you can call home an ask my wife.

Thanks, Charlie!

KK4AMI
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM

From University of Virginia? No far worse, godless commie lawyers in training:irked:

N7YA
12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Cant be, lawyers wont do anything unless theres a big payout.

W3WN
12-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Yea, but I didn't do it. I ain't even got a garage, you can call home an ask my wife.But are you a faithful follwer of brother John Birch?
Do you belong to the Antioch Baptist Church?
Have you torn George Wallace stickers off the bumpers of cars?
Did you vote for George McGovern for President?
And do you have green teeth & a sore knee?

w2amr
12-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Some idiot thought it would be funny to rip our house sign down and steal it. They tied a rope around it and yanked the 8 ft 4x4 it was mounted to down. I'd believed I'd thought of everything, I welded the sign to the wrought iron yard arm, cemented the 4x4 into the ground and set the whole sign back so it couldn't be hit or reached. The worse thing is they did it right under my nose. I do have security cameras, but that stupid sign is about 100 yds at the bottom of my driveway. That will probably be outside of the cameras motion sensor.
Shouldn't be hard to find the perps, Probably somebody who knows you.:neener:

K7SGJ
12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Shouldn't be hard to find the perps, Probably somebody who knows you.:neener:

And they probably post HERE, too. The bastids.

KK4AMI
12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
It was kind of a cute sign, oh well let Insurance take care of it.

ki4itv
12-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Nice sign.
Carved wood, or resin?

KK4AMI
12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Nice sign.
Carved wood, or resin?

Resin. It was originally made by a company in PA but they went out of business and got bought out by an Australian Company!

K7SGJ
12-30-2011, 04:13 PM
That's really a cool sign.

KG4CGC
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
The sign is nice. It will probably adorn the entrance of some dorm or frat house somewhere.
Sorry to hear about your experience with "Stupid People Tricks." If you could find a local news affiliate to play this out as a sympathetic story on the evening news, possibly offer a reward, it will get enough exposure that SOMEONE might rat the bastards.

NA4BH
12-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Looks like a good sign to put up in front of a recently opened bar, in a trendy area. Nice sign by the way.

ka4dpo
12-31-2011, 04:09 PM
It's hanging over that makeshift bar at Delta house right next to the double D manequin.

N8YX
12-31-2011, 04:15 PM
The sign is nice. It will probably adorn the entrance of some dorm or frat house somewhere.

Remember, too, that these fine upstanding thievescollege graduates will soon be captaining industry and the government.

KG4CGC
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Remember, too, that these fine upstanding thievescollege graduates will soon be captaining industry and the government.

Senator Blutarski comes to mind.

N2CHX
01-01-2012, 07:24 PM
It was me.

NQ6U
01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
It was me.

No, it was me. I am Spartacus!

N2CHX
01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
No, it was me. I am Spartacus!

Yeah well I am Sportacus. It was me, dammit.

No really, I am Sportacus. This coming weekend Dan and I are attending a drag birthday party hosted by one of our more.... Interesting friends. He's going as Stephanie and I'm going as Sportacus from Lazytown. Yeah, we're pervy like that lol. I'm gonna smack his ass all night long.

Now back on topic.

IT WAS ME!!!

If you can top that, then OK, it was you.

W3WN
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah well I am Sportacus. It was me, dammit.

No really, I am Sportacus. This coming weekend Dan and I are attending a drag birthday party hosted by one of our more.... Interesting friends. He's going as Stephanie and I'm going as Sportacus from Lazytown. Yeah, we're pervy like that lol. I'm gonna smack his ass all night long.

Now back on topic.

IT WAS ME!!!

If you can top that, then OK, it was you.All righty then. Just don't do anything that would end up in a story on Literotica.

And if Kell says so... then yes, it was her. Release the hounds!

N8YX
01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Release the hounds!

By your command.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerK4zwMRQw