PDA

View Full Version : Starting a car with a dead battery and no jumper cables

w2amr
12-29-2011, 04:51 AM
http://www.dump.com/2011/10/13/how-russians-jump-start-a-car-with-a-dead-battery-video/

KG4CGC
12-29-2011, 05:49 AM
Awesome. Never underestimate Russia.

W4GPL
12-29-2011, 06:14 AM
In Soviet Russia, car starts you! Yak, yak, yak, yak..

That's pretty resourceful. Our security guard at work is a Russian fellow, he'll get a kick out of this. He always pans how lazy and stupid we (Americans) are. We rarely disagree. He has an old German Shepherd that scares the hell out of me.. he says "I can't shoot gun, but what dog does, dog does. <huge grin>". I'm glad he's on our side.

I've never seen a more joyless dog in all my life. He's not mistreated at all, but he's there for business -- and there's no mistaking it. The dog could not care less if you pet him or give him treats. He's a trained killing machine -- nothing more, nothing less.

PA5COR
12-29-2011, 06:15 AM
I bet that won't work with my diesel van...

KG4CGC
12-29-2011, 06:22 AM

Longer rope and run.

W3WN
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Guess they can't pop the clutch?

KC9ECI
12-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I've used a similar technique back in the day to start an old John Deere B.

n2ize
12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
In Soviet Russia, car starts you! Yak, yak, yak, yak..

That's pretty resourceful. Our security guard at work is a Russian fellow, he'll get a kick out of this. He always pans how lazy and stupid we (Americans) are. We rarely disagree. He has an old German Shepherd that scares the hell out of me.. he says "I can't shoot gun, but what dog does, dog does. <huge grin>". I'm glad he's on our side.

I've never seen a more joyless dog in all my life. He's not mistreated at all, but he's there for business -- and there's no mistaking it. The dog could not care less if you pet him or give him treats. He's a trained killing machine -- nothing more, nothing less.

We had a guy who disciplined and trained his dog to be a killing machine. I think he even named the dog "Kill" or "Death" or something like that. The dog was eventually confiscated when on more than one occasion it attacked people. He was warned about it several times. Some people should not be permitted to own pets.

W3MPS
12-29-2011, 05:24 PM

20:1 compression does tend to preclude the Briggs and Stratton pull rope method.

PA5COR
12-29-2011, 05:36 PM
The 2.5 Turbo Diesel needs some glowing first =electricity like 80 amps.
Not long, in summer 2 seconds is enough, but in winter it is 5 to 7 seconds.
Pulling the wheel that fast to get that dynamo make that power AND go through 1:22 compression?

I think i'll get the AA roadservice out ;)

kb2vxa
12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
When the engine starts so easily and the battery is dead somebody was hamming too long with the engine off.

"Oh mama, could this be the end? To be stuck inside a mobile with a busted mic again."
Bob Dilly

W1GUH
12-30-2011, 12:10 AM
One more reason never to get an automatic. As if one NEEDED a reason to drive a stick!

NQ6U
12-30-2011, 12:58 AM
One more reason never to get an automatic. As if one NEEDED a reason to drive a stick!

The best reason is that they're a lot more fun to drive. Well, unless you do a lot of driving in stop-and-go traffic—if you commute on the I-405 in L.A., for instance. Then an automatic transmission is the right choice.

W1GUH
12-30-2011, 01:24 AM
The best reason is that they're a lot more fun to drive. Well, unless you do a lot of driving in stop-and-go traffic—if you commute on the I-405 in L.A., for instance. Then an automatic transmission is the right choice.

The 405? Well, that would be another reason NOT to commute on the 405, as if there weren't already plenty! When I commuted from Beverly Hills to El Segundo, I always took la cienega -- never really got backed up, and was very scenic. Never thought I'd see an oil field in the city limits. Or indoor, hidden oil wells in Beverly Hills. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Oil_Field)

When I've HAD to take the 405 it was usually a nightmarish parking lot.....creeping along. Made me start looking for alternates whenever the trip seemed to include that highway. And scenery on the 405? fuggitabout it. I've seen better scenery on the Cross Bronx and the Van Wyck expressways.

kb2vxa
12-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Now do you pronounce that van-wick or van-wike? (;->)

KA9MOT
12-31-2011, 12:01 AM
The 405? Well, that would be another reason NOT to commute on the 405, as if there weren't already plenty! When I commuted from Beverly Hills to El Segundo, I always took la cienega -- never really got backed up, and was very scenic. Never thought I'd see an oil field in the city limits. Or indoor, hidden oil wells in Beverly Hills. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Oil_Field)

When I've HAD to take the 405 it was usually a nightmarish parking lot.....creeping along. Made me start looking for alternates whenever the trip seemed to include that highway. And scenery on the 405? fuggitabout it. I've seen better scenery on the Cross Bronx and the Van Wyck expressways.

If you were a truck driver you would know there is allot of scenery on the 405...Blondes, Brunettes, red heads.....short skirts, no skirts.......sports bras, no bras...... overall height differences have many advantages.