PDA

View Full Version : DX Summit

W5GA
12-26-2011, 03:37 PM
WARNING!!! DO NOT USE DXSUMMIT! One of its advertisers carries the Win7 2012 antivirus malware.

kb2vxa
12-26-2011, 04:11 PM
The Win 7 version is called Win 7 Security 2012 but the name changes depending on the Windows version in use, still it can be recognized as fake anti-malware. A number of AV programs can remove it, among them my favorite Malwarebytes but the best removal is not to download it in the first place, with Windows Security Essentials (the best I've seen so far) you surely don't need what appears to be a fake Microsoft product. Ah, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but the point here is I see no problem with DX Summit but rather the advertiser easily enough ignored.

Firefox with Popup Blocker comes to mind. (;->)

N8YX
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Firefox with Popup Blocker comes to mind. (;->)

As does Linux.

Extra points for mounting a bootable CD distribution (Knoppix, OWASP, etc) as an ISO image in a VM then running it from there. Of course, you can always do the same with a regular installation of Windows, then make a backup copy of the VM file. Get the virtual machine infected? Stop it, delete the bad image and copy your backup into its place.

N7YA
12-28-2011, 04:40 AM
They run ads? Never noticed.

kb2vxa
12-28-2011, 01:24 PM
SSIK comes to mind too, some people like to complicate things. (;->)

KJ3N
12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
They run ads? Never noticed.

I'm looking at it now. What ads? :-?

:snicker: