PDA

View Full Version : Here is something I should know.....

KA9MOT
12-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Once upon a time I had Power DVD (Still have it, but can't find the key) that would allow a guy to watch a DVD on Windows XP. I just redid my kids computer and he wants to watch one of his Star Wars DVDs, but I can't find my key to install the software so he can .

Anybody know if there is any free, good DVD viewing software?

W1GUH
12-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I've actually found one of those keys using google-fu. You could try that. I've used that software before, too, and might be able to find a key here. If I do I'll PM it to you.

KA9MOT
12-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Google-fu turns out to be a wonderful thing. I never thought of looking for a key. I was looking for some free software. I found the key....even better! Thanks again Paul!

Still doing the endless WIndows XP updates......... Like the energizer bunny, they keep coming and coming..... Oh nevermind.... That was Ron Jeremy....wrong hairy critter. lo!

ad4mg
12-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Google-fu turns out to be a wonderful thing. I never thought of looking for a key. I was looking for some free software. I found the key....even better! Thanks again Paul!

Still doing the endless WIndows XP updates......... Like the energizer bunny, they keep coming and coming..... Oh nevermind.... That was Ron Jeremy....wrong hairy critter. lo!

The last Windows XP re-install I did was a SP2 package that required 167 updates, and that excludes the SP3 upgrade!

KA9MOT
12-26-2011, 11:44 AM
I did Stevie's Christmas Eve. Dell's version of Windows XP Home. Not even SP1.......
Last night I did my brothers eMachines.....Windows XP 2003....not even SP1.....

Still doing updates.........

KA9MOT
12-26-2011, 12:40 PM
The updates have updates....... This was my brothers old computer that quit and he threw it my way. I had Ubuntu on it....... I have to wonder, "Why didn't I quit while I was ahead?".

n2ize
12-26-2011, 01:39 PM
The updates have updates....... This was my brothers old computer that quit and he threw it my way. I had Ubuntu on it....... I have to wonder, "Why didn't I quit while I was ahead?".

On Ubuntu and other *nix's you can play DVD's a la the forbidden "libdvdcss".

On windows don't DVD's play by default ? I never had trouble playing a DVD on a Windows box. I just put the DVD in the drive and the bundled software seems to play it just fine.

K7SGJ
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM

On windows don't DVD's play by default ? I never had trouble playing a DVD on a Windows box. I just put the DVD in the drive and the bundled software seems to play it just fine.

I had some IBM laptops that wouldn't. For some reason I always got an error message that Windows could not find the optical drive. If I loaded loaded WIN DVD, it would work fine. Tried reloads, swaping drives, and other stuff, and never do remember finding a fix.

KA9MOT
12-26-2011, 10:22 PM

Windows Media Player under Windows XP doesn't have the required codecs.......unless the later versions do. I usually don't use Windows Media Player. Ubuntu has always played my DVDs flawlessly. Unfortunately, I am the only person in the house who enjoys using Ubuntu. :(

KJ3N
12-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Still doing the endless WIndows XP updates.........

The last Windows XP re-install I did was a SP2 package that required 167 updates, and that excludes the SP3 upgrade!

I did Stevie's Christmas Eve. Dell's version of Windows XP Home. Not even SP1.......
Last night I did my brothers eMachines.....Windows XP 2003....not even SP1.....

Still doing updates.........

The updates have updates.......

These are some of the reasons I don't subscribe to Corey's "slash and burn" policy on infected Windoze machines.

W1GUH
12-27-2011, 06:38 AM

Good! Now I don't have go on an archeological dig of my rubble to find my original software! ;)

WV6Z
12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Media Player Classic...... still the best..... there is also filtering that can be installed to play blu-rays if you search for them.

http://media-player-classic.soft32.com/?gclid=CJny5oDFoq0CFVCR7QodWnKPnw

N1LAF
12-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Anytime you reinstall Windows XP, SP1, or SP2, install SP3 right away. SP3 will have all the updates right up to the issuance of SP3.

Use Internet Explorer for download, last time I tried with Firefox - failed, as MS was blocking Firefox for downloads.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
Overview
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.

Page: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

This is the complete everything download, and can be done offline. Copy this file to a CD and store it away. Never know when it will disappear from the MS website. MS will suggest, for single computer upgrade an alternative which is done online, where the OS will interrogate your system and send feedback to mother MS in what upgrades you really need to have. I'd rather not have MS spy on me, nor beholden to them on the next re-install. Fortunately, XP has been so stable, reinstall is not needed. I did go through a reinstall twice, when I upgraded hard drives. Both systems had over 5 years of XP running with heavy use.

W3WN
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Once upon a time I had Power DVD (Still have it, but can't find the key) that would allow a guy to watch a DVD on Windows XP. I just redid my kids computer and he wants to watch one of his Star Wars DVDs, but I can't find my key to install the software so he can .

Anybody know if there is any free, good DVD viewing software?
Is your machine a Dell?