PDA

View Full Version : Oh.....My......God!!!

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Very seriously. Sometimes the web can really, really come through. A Christmas Miracle just happened. Please forgive me if I sound over-the-top on this...but check this out.

I've just finished a project in the studio where I transcribes some vinyl to CD. But not just any vinyl. It was a private pressing of a music teacher I had in '59 and '60. He was a very talented pianist, a gifted teacher (we ALL loved him), and he had a jazz combo that played out around town, the Jerry Libby Trio. We, of course, knew him as Mr. Libby. He left teaching in '63, and nobody ever heard of or from him again.

Cut to a month ago. I found the vinyl that I just transcribed on the web (a minor miracle in itself), and the place I ordered if from, Virgin Vinyl Records (http://virginvinylrecords.com/), has turned out to be a couple that go way, way above and beyond the call in providing service. After I'd ordered the record, I got an email from Scott apologizing and telling me that, after looking at the record again, it wasn't quite as good as the ad said, and do I still want it. I replied of course. He got it to me in a flash. Turned out to be just fine.

So today the CD was finished, and I sent a copy to him. I told him that I was hoping that it would get widely distributed enough so that it would find its way into the hands of either Mr. Libby or someone close to him. I got an email back saying that they're pretty good at finding people on the web and would I like them to. Of course I replied in the positive.

I just now got an email with detailed info and what looks like good contact infomation. I'm FLYING!!!!!

Holy Fucking Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said it looks like he last played with Nate Jajar (http://natenajar.com/) and he's still active as a performer in Florida. There's a definite winter vacation in Florida in my future!

Wow. Just fuckin' WOW!

N8YX
12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
(MrBurns)Excellent(/MrBurns)

There's a girl I went to school with whom I haven't seen for years - since before graduation. Had a dream about her back in September. Summary: For some reason I felt compelled to contact her, and sent off an e-mail to the only address I could find. Turns out she plays in a volunteer jazz/symphony band - she's listed as the contact point for the band's website. Thus far, nothing back.

In the dream, she was sitting around musical instruments in cases, along with another person or two...as if they were getting ready to set up for an evening's session. She looked over at me and smiled, albeit a much older individual than I remember from my high school days.

Unfortunately, when I have these it usually means just one thing. :-|

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 10:03 PM
May it turn out better this time!

N8YX
12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
May it turn out better this time!

Don't know. Found out her childhood/adulthood home was recently put up for sale and has now sold. Not a good sign.

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 10:06 PM
This is the record..

W3WN
12-23-2011, 10:07 PM
< snip >
Unfortunately, when I have these it usually means just one thing. :-|'DSG looking for the cast iron frying pan?

N8YX
12-23-2011, 10:13 PM
'DSG looking for the cast iron frying pan?

Nope. My hard head would break the pan and she knows it. Just cost her money to replace the thing ... :whistle:

n2ize
12-24-2011, 02:33 AM
(MrBurns)Excellent(/MrBurns)

There's a girl I went to school with whom I haven't seen for years - since before graduation. Had a dream about her back in September. Summary: For some reason I felt compelled to contact her, and sent off an e-mail to the only address I could find. Turns out she plays in a volunteer jazz/symphony band - she's listed as the contact point for the band's website. Thus far, nothing back.

In the dream, she was sitting around musical instruments in cases, along with another person or two...as if they were getting ready to set up for an evening's session. She looked over at me and smiled, albeit a much older individual than I remember from my high school days.

Unfortunately, when I have these it usually means just one thing. :-|

I had a dream about a girl I knew from high school. She was in front of my house. She looked the same as in high school. Then we were in a room that was sort of like a library and there was some sort of prosecutors there. One of the prosecutors said, "we have to bring someone up on charges" and then pointed to her and said, "we'll press charges against her". I was very upset and dismayed at this course of action because somehow I knew it was completely corrupt and unjust and whatever charges they were bringing were false. The last I saw her she was being led away in handcuffs by court officers. Fortunately when I have these dreams it usually means absolutely nothing. :)

kf0rt
12-24-2011, 10:26 AM
You seem to spend a lot of your dreamtime in court, John. Whazzup wid that?

n2ize
12-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Guess I probably wanted to be an attorney or a judge.

N7YA
12-24-2011, 07:51 PM
This is the record..

Ok, ill say it.

Congrats man, thats very cool! These are the kinds of things that can lift you up. I have had that kind of joy before, finding old friends, but not THAT far back. Good job. I love good jazz, maybe i should check it out.

KG4CGC
12-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Very Coll Indeed!
Very Cool too!

K7SGJ
12-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Guess I probably wanted to be an attorney or a judge.

Perhaps you just wanted to try people. You are, after all. very t...............oh never mind.

W1GUH
12-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Open offer...

Anyone who wants a copy...PM me with your address...I'll ship immediately. It's good early 60's jazz. So get out your penny loafers, Ivy league slacks, sharp jacket, skinny ties & cool shades!!!!

Well, "immediately" depending on demand. If I get swamped (hope...hope) of course it'll take time to replenish supply.

This is a total labor of love for me. Love of music -- especially his brand of jazz; love of what the awesome public school system in Pontiac Michigan once was, thanks to GM's tax base; and love for Mr. Libby. Absolutely from the heart.

What I hope is, if I can't find him directly, maybe I can get this widely enough distributed so that it eventually finds its way into the hands of someone close to him and I'll hear from them. My email is on the CD.

Thanks for the kind words!

n2ize
12-25-2011, 05:55 AM

Actually, since I was a kid I was always fascinated with our system of law enforcement and the court system. As a very young lad I was intrigued by the courts and wanted to know more about how they operated. What happened if they found someone guilty of a crime, would they shoot him in the court room ? take him to jail, etc ?? What exactly did a lawyer do ? What were judges like ? How is a trial conducted ? Why do judges wear robes instead of regular clothes ? How often do cops actually fire their sidearms ?? My first glimpse of a court was when I went with my Mom to a traffic court in regards to a ticket. It was disappointing because it was not like the courts I read about in books and caught glimpses of on TV.

With all this in mind you would think I would have gone into law. But I am what I am. I guess I still have an interest in courts, trials, and law however.

n2ize
12-25-2011, 05:58 AM
This is the record..

Paul, any description as to the jazz style ? Do they sound similar to any popular jazz groups past or present. During the early 60's there were several popular jazz styles prevalent, i.e. BeBop, Post-Bop, Free style, Fusion to name a few. Do they fit any of these sub-genres ? Just trying to envision their type of sound.

W1GUH
12-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Quickest description is early 60's jazz with piano, bass and drums. Possibly with heavy classical influence?

Impeccable technique, rich harmonies and unique styling.

Here's something kinda close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPgTmca6Zs

Well, DAYUM!!! Never made the connection betweein Cast Your Fate to the Wind and Peanuts.

Zinger for me...

W1GUH
12-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Or maybe this...

But I wish I could find it with Mr. Guaraldi playing. Gonna hafta go on a a vinyl search! This guy is OK & does a decent job of getting his styling across (and bless his soul for the fine effort!).

Besides, this is one of my most favoritest songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8U8sP3YdU

N7YA
12-25-2011, 05:53 PM
If its Vince Guaraldi influenced, im in!!

N8YX
12-25-2011, 05:57 PM
There was a drummer - first name of Sandy - whose stuff was apparently influenced by that genre. Anyone remember his last name?

N7YA
01-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Paul, Thanks for the CD, just got it the other night.

This stuff is really good! Old school, blue note jazz from the golden era. These guys can play. I particularly like that you left some record sounds in there...crackling and popping gives it that edge. Very cool, thank you, sir!

What the hell, guys! Free CD here...get you one! Whats the deal?

KG4CGC
01-02-2012, 02:32 AM
OK, I'd love one ☺
Are they in .wav on the disc or mp3?

N7YA
01-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Paul sent me a CD, with cover art and a back panel complete. For a repro done at home, its nice work. He could tell you more.

W1GUH
01-02-2012, 06:14 AM
For a copy, just PM me your address.

K7SGJ
01-02-2012, 10:16 AM
There was a drummer - first name of Sandy - whose stuff was apparently influenced by that genre. Anyone remember his last name?

The only drummer named Sandy I can recall was Sandy Nelson. The one thing he did that I remember most was "Let There Be Drums".