PDA

View Full Version : vegan lifestyle plus 6 months.

suddenseer
12-23-2011, 09:19 PM
The title says it all. I have stuck with a vegan way of eating for 6 months now. I have dropped 60 pounds, and 5 clothes sizes. I am glad I did not throw away my old duds. It is very easy to do, stop eating all animal products, meat, dairy, eggs.

Now for the best part: I am a type 2 diabetic as over 33% of Americans. My last 90 dr visit was a good one. My A1c which was 7.1 (marginal control) to 5.9 in September, and 5.6 in December. The last 90 days my blood sugars have been in normal range. Mt Doc wanted to know what I did to get this level of control, as I am the only person he knows that has done this. He cut the diabetic medicine in half, and told me to stop taking the cholesterol meds. It is nice to take control of 2 chronic diseases with diet alone. I am going to add daily walks for 30 minutes a day. I want to get off all meds next year, and i think it is possible.

Have a healthy new year.

K7SGJ
12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Amazing it is. After my last roll-over wreck, I had lost my appetite due to the all the the pain and the Rx I was on. All I ate for 2 months were Navel oranges. Lots of them. During that time I dropped about 70 lbs. I was going to physical therapy a couple times a week, and as I healed and got stronger, I started working out, and really watched what I ate. My diet didn't change a whole lot, but the quantity sure did. As a result I was taken off my blood pressure medicine, cholesterol meds, and in time, all the other stuff I was taking. That was about 9 yrs ago, and I have kept my weight where it should be and continue to exercise. The only pills I take anymore are vitamins, and an occasional aspirin or two. I was and still am amazed how much better I feel.

KC2UGV
12-23-2011, 11:02 PM
30 minutes a day is easily 3 miles. You'll get addicted quickly. Do you have a smart phone? If so, download runkeeper. You'll be competing against yourself in 3 days to get "more, more, more".

KB3LAZ
12-24-2011, 01:32 AM
More power to you. Glad it is working for you. I have lost a substantial amount of weight over the last year and a half as well by eating more healthy. I do however still eat meat. Chicken and fish are a very big part of my diet. I still have red meat on Saturdays and pork normally on Fridays. I have cut back the dairy a lot.

This for me was a big improvement over red meat 3-5 times a week and dairy daily. Though I have no desire to cut meat out altogether.

Aside from weight loss I had other goals in mind by changing my diet. I had/have bad digestive problems and have had a multitude of stomach operations since I was a child though the last one was about 8 years ago. Increasing my fiber intake, water intake, balancing my omega 3/6 and B12 intake to a safer level did a lot for me. In the end I am happy.

As I have stated in another thread I often times crave a good burger even though I have already had my red meat for the week. In this case I replace the hamburger with zucchini which makes for one hell of a sandwich in my opinion.

w2amr
12-24-2011, 04:34 AM
The title says it all. I have stuck with a vegan way of eating for 6 months now. I have dropped 60 pounds, and 5 clothes sizes. I am glad I did not throw away my old duds. It is very easy to do, stop eating all animal products, meat, dairy, eggs.

Now for the best part: I am a type 2 diabetic as over 33% of Americans. My last 90 dr visit was a good one. My A1c which was 7.1 (marginal control) to 5.9 in September, and 5.6 in December. The last 90 days my blood sugars have been in normal range. Mt Doc wanted to know what I did to get this level of control, as I am the only person he knows that has done this. He cut the diabetic medicine in half, and told me to stop taking the cholesterol meds. It is nice to take control of 2 chronic diseases with diet alone. I am going to add daily walks for 30 minutes a day. I want to get off all meds next year, and i think it is possible.

Have a healthy new year.
Nice Job.:clap:

PA5COR
12-24-2011, 04:45 AM
First to all that lost such substantial weight, GOOD JOB.
Overweight as you noticed has a lot drawbacks, good diet, specially not eating too much, and excercise ( bycicle here) will be very good for your overall health.

Again, well done Gentlemen.