PDA

View Full Version : WiFi and Unbutu

N8GAV
12-23-2011, 11:11 AM
So I am using Windoz 7 and Ubutu 11.whatever on my laptop but Window's is the only OS that pick's up my WiFi. Any idea's or thoughts??

ad4mg
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
You probably have a Broadcom chipset on your wireless device. During the Ubuntu installation, there was the option to connect to the internet to search for any necessary, proprietary drivers. Of course, this means installing while hard-wired to the internet.

I'll have a look when I get home, but I'm sure all you need is the driver for that chipset, and it can be installed after the fact. Here at work, I only have Windows machines, so I have no reference point.

You might simply search the Ubuntu forum for Broadcom wireless drivers. You can check that chipset in the Windows device manager, but it's likely a Broadcom.

NQ6U
12-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Agree, must be a driver issue. I have Ubuntu installed dual boot on my old MacBook Pro and it handles the WiFi just fine--better than OS X, maybe.

ad4mg
12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
So I am using Windoz 7 and Ubutu 11.whatever on my laptop but Window's is the only OS that pick's up my WiFi. Any idea's or thoughts??

Hank, what is the brand and model of your laptop? I'll poke around for a solution.

ad4mg
12-23-2011, 03:46 PM
It's quite likely that if you can plug a CAT5 cable into the laptop, and start up Ubuntu, it will grab the necessary driver from the internet automatically. My son's HP laptop did just that ... after I installed Ubuntu, I just plugged up a spare network cable, and on the re-boot, it asked about installing the driver.

N8GAV
12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Hank, what is the brand and model of your laptop? I'll poke around for a solution.

Luke I have an HP 2000 it's new just got it. Now I did go on Ubuntu with a line and it dose see my wifi after I down loaded a driver it said I needed, but won't stay conected it's always looking for my network and disconects dose not seem stable.

ad4mg
12-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Luke I have an HP 2000 it's new just got it. Now I did go on Ubuntu with a line and it dose see my wifi after I down loaded a driver it said I needed, but won't stay conected it's always looking for my network and disconects dose not seem stable.
Have you rebooted Ubuntu? Also, did you enter your passphrase correctly? On my laptop, which is old and running Ubuntu 10.04, I had to define the type of wireless security in use ... WEP, WPA, etc., but the newer version of Ubuntu may have autodetect now.

If you haven't already, I'd do a cold shutdown, and restart and see what happens ...

KC2UGV
12-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Follow this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx