PDA

View Full Version : The wait...

KC2UGV
12-22-2011, 10:43 PM
I know, this is most likely getting old, but I am the guardian of a number of rats, and their lives with us tend to be short.

But, right now, I have one guy on the cusp. Nothing can help him right now. All he needs is someone to hold him until that pleasant dark takes him, and I am honored to be that friend.

Not coming from a selfish angle, but I hope it takes him soon. I could take him to 24 hour emergency care, but I wont be able to see him to his final gate. So, he's laying in my arms either until morning, or until he goes.

I dunno what I expect here, but I count everyone here as my friend. Maybe just a well wishing for Ozzie (his name) to that final, gentle night. Or, I'm just rambling. Either way, shots (of Stoli) for Ozzie.

K7SGJ
12-22-2011, 11:16 PM
It's comforting to know there are others who care about little creatures, too. If he is not to return to good health, I hope his exit is swift and peaceful.

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 11:58 PM
May you pull through, Ozzie. And if it's your time, may you go in peace to that better place. You'll be missed; wish you didn't have to go.

:(

KB3LAZ
12-23-2011, 03:15 AM
I used to raise rats but Im sure you do not wish to know about that...anyway, Hope yours pulls through.

Curiosity got a hold of me thought. You use the word guardian, these used lab rats or something? Forgive me if you have said this before but as you may remember I was gone for 18 months.

N8YX
12-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your little buddy - loss of any pet we've gotten attached to is hard.

Per Travis, what's the normal life expectancy of a pet rat?

w2amr
12-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Here's wishing the best for Ozzie. I lost a dear friend on monday. Pop as I called him, died of a respiratory infection as he was being examined by our vet. He was with me for almost 10 years.

KB3LAZ
12-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your little buddy - loss of any pet we've gotten attached to is hard.

Per Travis, what's the normal life expectancy of a pet rat?

Few years, sometimes longer. Mine made it a few months. (They were food for snakes)

KB3LAZ
12-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Not to get off topic but...there have been studies done in lab rats increasing their average life span from around 3.28 years to 4.93 years. Figure a human at an average of 67 years and the increase would become more significant. But in that study health average weight rats were reduced to a 40% caloric intake daily. The question is the quality of life at that point. Sure we tend to diet with a lower caloric intake but such a drop in caloric intake in a healthy individual is going to restrict their energy and all.

Anyway, as I said before due to his wording I was curious. I had a buddy that used to take in rats that were deemed unfit to be lab rats. Always liked that, was better than the alternative of them being destroyed. Granted, I know by raising rats for my snakes I was sentencing them to death but more of a natural cycle of life thing. Wouldnt just kill the poor things because they were of no use to me.

Anyway, I am sure Corey can tell you that rats can make good pets. Most people find it weird but we all know that rats are used in studies for a multitude of reasons one being that they are rather intelligent. After my snake passed on I kept a few rats as pets and it was enjoyable. The snake, if you are curious was a ball python I got from rescue. Had a careless owner that let it get burnt and blinded in one eye due to improper heating. Mine was near its end when I got it.

Just to touch your curiosity. Pythons particularly ball pythons have extremely long life spans on average 20 years. Often times over 30-40. Mind you IMO snakes are wild animals and I do not consider them tame or domesticated. They do bite when upset, disturbed, hungry, or they simply feel like biting you. Ball pythons though are generally very docile and bites are very uncommon.

Anyway, I know we have a lot of pet owners on this board and many of us have pets that would be considered odd. Reptiles, pigeons, rats, etc. I applaud those of you that enjoy them, particularly those of you that adopt, and more so those that adopt from a rescue.

Again, sorry to hear about your pal Corey. I am glad he has a good home and someone that cares.

KC2UGV
12-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Sorry for the long response times guys... Needless to say, It's been a long night, and day.

He ended up passing at about 2:35AM this morning. He fell away in the crook of my neck while in bed. Ornery to the last dying breath, he took a chunk of flesh with him, out of my finger lol

Yes, I use the term "guardian" with all of our fur babies, as I don't feel like I own them anymore than I own my kids :) Maybe "parent" is the better term.

As for feeder rats, I understand. I am a herp owner as well. And, he must eat, just like all members of the web that make up the spiderweb of life. I'd wish you feed frozen, instead of live, Travis. Better for both the herp and the rodent. Herps avoid possibly dying (A rat can do quite some damage, as I can attest to), and the rodent avoids the terror of death. And, if the herp avoids the rodent's teeth, it could also succumb to parasitic infection not present in frozen feeders :)

Normal life expectancy for rats is about 3 years. 4+, and they are severely geriatric. Ozzie was 4 yr, 7 mon, so he was quite old, and we've been expecting it for a while now.

As an aside, 4 of our ratties are lab rescues. They were used in a vet-tech setting. They would have been snake food for the zoo if we didn't take them in. And honorable death, to be sure, but I am sure glad they came to us instead :)

W5GA
12-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Corey, you're a gem. Sorry for your loss, I well know it's a tough thing.

KC2UGV
12-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Corey, you're a gem. Sorry for your loss, I well know it's a tough thing.

Doug, I love hearing that, especially seeing as we are so polarized in some other topics... Really, this mean a lot coming from you :)

KB3LAZ
12-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Sorry for the long response times guys... Needless to say, It's been a long night, and day.

He ended up passing at about 2:35AM this morning. He fell away in the crook of my neck while in bed. Ornery to the last dying breath, he took a chunk of flesh with him, out of my finger lol

Yes, I use the term "guardian" with all of our fur babies, as I don't feel like I own them anymore than I own my kids :) Maybe "parent" is the better term.

As for feeder rats, I understand. I am a herp owner as well. And, he must eat, just like all members of the web that make up the spiderweb of life. I'd wish you feed frozen, instead of live, Travis. Better for both the herp and the rodent. Herps avoid possibly dying (A rat can do quite some damage, as I can attest to), and the rodent avoids the terror of death. And, if the herp avoids the rodent's teeth, it could also succumb to parasitic infection not present in frozen feeders :)

Normal life expectancy for rats is about 3 years. 4+, and they are severely geriatric. Ozzie was 4 yr, 7 mon, so he was quite old, and we've been expecting it for a while now.

As an aside, 4 of our ratties are lab rescues. They were used in a vet-tech setting. They would have been snake food for the zoo if we didn't take them in. And honorable death, to be sure, but I am sure glad they came to us instead :)

Im sorry to hear your buddy passed away. :( And I like the term parent as well.

As for live feeding, my python was a rescue that had been fed live for years. I had tried to switch but she just wouldnt eat. Ball's are finicky eaters as it is. I wasnt going to force feed her due to its own complications. My morph eats frozen as it was the way it was raised.

PA5COR
12-24-2011, 04:35 AM
I'm sorry to read about your loss.
Whatever the pet is, when it's time to let them go, we all will have the same feelings if we loveed them isn't it.

Take care.