PDA

View Full Version : The way it oughta be done...

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Just installed the trial for the latest version of Nero Burn. Needed to make an ISO CD ROM. (Argh!!!!!!)

I've used Nero a lot in the past and wanted to upgrade anyway, so I went ahead with the install.

BLESS NERO's heart and soul.

THEY (unlike Avast! and McAfee) asked BEFORE the went ahead and messed with FF.

THAT is a software company I can love and respect.

KC2UGV
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Here's a utility I use for ISO's:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/isoburn/

It only burns iso's to disk, and nothing more. Enough for me, maybe not enough for you, since you seem to do audio and video work.

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm stupid. What's this for, do, help?

kf0rt
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Image Burn, FTW. Seriously.

http://www.imgburn.com/

It does everything. Converts disks to ISO, burn CD/DVD from files or ISO, etc. It's all I use.

ETA: Free, too.

Charles: ISO (as used here) is a single-file (.ISO) image of a disk (typically CD or DVD).

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Here's a utility I use for ISO's:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/isoburn/

It only burns iso's to disk, and nothing more. Enough for me, maybe not enough for you, since you seem to do audio and video work.

Thanks for the info, Corey. Dunno how much the Nero costs to own yet, if it's outta site, I'll try that one.

KC2UGV
12-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Corey. Dunno how much the Nero costs to own yet, if it's outta site, I'll try that one.

If you buy a new drive, it comes with a copy :)

N1LAF
12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm stupid. What's this for, do, help?

ISO is an image file of a CD/DVD disk. It's like a zip file, no compression, contains the directory structure like it is on the CDROM/DVD. The iso file can be "mounted" as a CDROM disk using a program like Daemon tools, etc, makes the OS think the iso file is a CDROM/DVD disk.

WØTKX
12-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Image Burn, yes indeeeeeedy. But I still use The Nero Express Essentials SE I got with this PC.

The program has has some basic CD/DVD "Authoring Tools" that come in handy...

For a "mixed media" disc with a simple menu for music, stills, and video clips.

W1GUH
12-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Image Burn, yes indeeeeeedy. But I still use The Nero Express Essentials SE I got with this PC.

The program has has some basic CD/DVD "Authoring Tools" that come in handy...

For a "mixed media" disc with a simple menu for music, stills, and video clips.

Think that's what I got with my first laptop and what I've used at work a lot. Got used to it & didn't like when this computer came with something else. Not that it's bad...just different.

But this new one from Nero is light years removed from that. It's not that simple interface, anymore! Had a heck of a time finding the options to make that ISO CD ROM. Got it specifically because something I've got needed that kind of CD to update its software & one of the recommended programs was the free trial of an earlier NERO; couldn't use the supplied procedure, had to learn this new NERO. Looks like its got just about anything you need to burn any kind of disk CD, DVD, BluRay, Data, Music, mixed....the whole gamut.

Dunno if I need all that. But this thread came about because I was so appreciative of Nero for actually ASKING before it messed with FF, unlike those two
anti-virus packages I tried.

kf0rt
12-22-2011, 09:45 PM
ISO is an image file of a CD/DVD disk. It's like a zip file, no compression, contains the directory structure like it is on the CDROM/DVD. The iso file can be "mounted" as a CDROM disk using a program like Daemon tools, etc, makes the OS think the iso file is a CDROM/DVD disk.

But wait,there's more!! With these multi-TB hard drives, you can archive all your software disks 'on line.'

n2ize
12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Dunno if I need all that. But this thread came about because I was so appreciative of Nero for actually ASKING before it messed with FF, unlike those two
anti-virus packages I tried.

I don;t understand. Why would any software package mess with FF to begin with ?

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 03:29 AM
I don;t understand. Why would any software package mess with FF to begin with ?

That's the $64,000 question, john. But they do. Both McAfee and Avast! tried to add a toolbar to FF and to change the default search engine without asking permission. One (I forget which one) was successful, the other was blocked by FF. Google, also, has done this...I wound up with Google Toolbar on my machine. Have no idea why, but I really hate when software wants to take over my machine without asking permission. Probably has something to do with ad revenue.

Nero, on the other hand, had the decency to ask permission.