PDA

View Full Version : It's not 'mint' by any means

N8YX
12-21-2011, 06:54 PM
But it's not bad.

And it's only one of 20 such ensembles ever made.

Here's the latest project which I've been working on. Pictured in the rack are components of what was termed a "Cubic Kilowatt", with a bonus (embassy) radio thrown in.

From top to bottom:

ST-2R tuner - 2kW w/ built-in 4:1 balun for balanced lines
1500ZR - 600w PEP HF amplifier; 80-15M as delivered from
Astro-DR - synthesized 100w HF transceiver. Continuous coverage from 1.6-30MHz; USB/LSB/CW/AME. Incorporates a phone patch.
Astro-150R - synthesized, VRTO-tuned 100w 5-band transceiver. Identical in overall functionality to the amateur 150A version, its front panel band switch is labeled "A-E" rather than using amateur band designators. This is possibly due to the rig's being marketed to the commercial/military user as well as the ham; I own several 150C models which cover various commercial HF assignments. They are indistinguishable from their amateur-band counterparts except for the band switch markings, and almost all subassemblies may be readily interchanged between the two types.

The gear isn't perfect cosmetically but is electrically...and looks good enough to use. I suppose I could have the front panels professionally refinished but for now I'll just enjoy them as-is.

Both transceivers required a thorough session on the test bench to bring them back into working order; tales of that exercise can be found elsewhere in Chit Chat. I knew the amp's power supply was in need of some attention (new electrolytics) but the project got rather involved afterwards. I ended up cannibalizing a few pieces from a knockabout 1500ZA in order to finish the job - but that's why we have spares, right?

The PSU-5CR/FP-7 power supply which goes with the ensemble is currently located in the box at the very bottom of the photo. Tomorrow I'll built one more set of rack ears then mount it. A 2" gap between the supply and the 150R will facilitate mounting a sliding computer keyboard tray, on which I'll place mic/key/logbook when the station is in operation.

The acquisition of this station's various components was pure happenstance all the way, spanning several years time and relying largely on plain dumb luck. I have to give a wave of thanks to an IoMH member for directing me to the last piece of the puzzle, the Astro-DR. It didn't come with the Kilowatt but makes a nice addition.

I suppose life in the rack is better than all of the stuff ending up in the scrap bin.

N8YX
12-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Also in the rack are a couple of ITT Mackay Marine receivers - a 3030AR (top) and a 3031A (bottom). Plans are to slave these to the Cubic transceivers - that's a project for another vacation, as there's a bit of interface/switching construction to tackle first.

No excuses.

N8YX
12-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Cabling all the Cubic equipment will come next, but after I get the PSU mounted tomorrow I'm taking a break from radios and focusing on getting the rest of our basement put back together. The rack doubles as a storage spot for a number of power supplies and gets the larger radio equipment off our storage shelves.

KG4CGC
12-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Dude, Awesome Potatoes!

K7SGJ
12-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Way to neat and uncluttered. You're goona give ham radio a bad name. :stickpoke:

N8YX
12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Way to neat and uncluttered. You're goona give ham radio a bad name. :stickpoke:

I was verrrrryyyyy careful with camera in getting the correct angles (wave-out to Charles). A little to the right and you'd see a couple motorcycle exhausts piled next to my drill press. :oops:

Dude, Awesome Potatoes!

Let's get the setup on the air as a whole first and then we can peel some spuds. :lol:

W1GUH
12-21-2011, 08:30 PM
"2kW w/ built-in 4:1 balun for balanced lines" ???

:evil::twisted: Just can't help myself....:stickpoke:

Maybe for looks....it IS sexy in that rack. But for operating...

http://www.isquare.com/personal_pages/images/kw-matchbox1.jpg

But then, you already know I'm an evangelist for Matchboxes!

Freakin' great lookin' rig. Enjoy!

N8YX
12-21-2011, 09:14 PM
"2kW w/ built-in 4:1 balun for balanced lines" ???

:evil::twisted: Just can't help myself....:stickpoke:

On second thought I should have said "Balanced lines or random wires". ;)

There are multiple binding posts - big ones, too - on the rear of the unit. I'm going to put a switch in the feedline which goes to my 6BTV and set it up to feed either the Cubic rack or the TS-940S/R-71A combo to which it's presently connected.

Wouldn't mind building a horizontal loop for the outfit and running the balanced-line arrangement but I have no good way to erect such an animal at present.

The tuner actually works pretty well. I have a couple of the ST-2B units, which are the same as the -2R circuit-wise. They've had upwards of a kilowatt applied in fairly continuous duty and with one little exception remain trouble-free. I don't usually attempt to match wildly off-resonance antennas via the coaxial output...rather, allow the 'BTV to operate at the opposite end of the bands for which it's tuned.

About that exception:

I tried to match a majorly off-resonance antenna through one of the -2Bs at high power once. Those neat little translucent meters allowed me to see the arc-over of the output tuning capacitor rather nicely. :shock:

NQ6U
12-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Explain to the truck driver why you need two transceivers. Of course, if you merely wanted two transceivers, no explanation is necessary.

N8YX
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Explain to the truck driver why you need two transceivers. Of course, if you merely wanted two transceivers, no explanation is necessary.
The 150R covers 80-40-20-15-10M. USB/LSB/CW, with a narrow CW filter position on the mode switch.

The DR covers the entire HF spectrum. It has no CW filter provision - and the SSB filter design is (IMO) a bit inferior to those used in the 150 series. But that rig incorporates an effective squelch and will transmit exalted-carrier AM, albeit receiving in LSB. (There's a mod for full AM transceive, as well as one which will enable the unit to transmit DSB full carrier.)

Each has its place. The DR is a rare radio - this is the only one I've ever seen for sale, period.

W1GUH
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
On second thought I should have said "Balanced lines or random wires".

Nice recovery! + a bunch, and a drink from our bartender, if he ever ventures into this territory!

:agree::cheers:

N8YX
12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice recovery! + a bunch, and a drink from our bartender, if he ever ventures into this territory!

He posted in this thread, so he's about!

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 12:48 AM

I need to get a text message or something whenever someone needs a drink around here.
OK, so wuddaya want? A Slap Dragon or a Screaming Viking? Or how about something really girly? A Blueberry Martini made with Vanilla Faux French Vodka? Chocolate Whiskey Float?

w2amr
12-22-2011, 04:56 AM
But it's not bad.

And it's only one of 20 such ensembles ever made.

Here's the latest project which I've been working on. Pictured in the rack are components of what was termed a "Cubic Kilowatt", with a bonus (embassy) radio thrown in.

From top to bottom:

ST-2R tuner - 2kW w/ built-in 4:1 balun for balanced lines
1500ZR - 600w PEP HF amplifier; 80-15M as delivered from
Astro-DR - synthesized 100w HF transceiver. Continuous coverage from 1.6-30MHz; USB/LSB/CW/AME. Incorporates a phone patch.
Astro-150R - synthesized, VRTO-tuned 100w 5-band transceiver. Identical in overall functionality to the amateur 150A version, its front panel band switch is labeled "A-E" rather than using amateur band designators. This is possibly due to the rig's being marketed to the commercial/military user as well as the ham; I own several 150C models which cover various commercial HF assignments. They are indistinguishable from their amateur-band counterparts except for the band switch markings, and almost all subassemblies may be readily interchanged between the two types.

The gear isn't perfect cosmetically but is electrically...and looks good enough to use. I suppose I could have the front panels professionally refinished but for now I'll just enjoy them as-is.

Both transceivers required a thorough session on the test bench to bring them back into working order; tales of that exercise can be found elsewhere in Chit Chat. I knew the amp's power supply was in need of some attention (new electrolytics) but the project got rather involved afterwards. I ended up cannibalizing a few pieces from a knockabout 1500ZA in order to finish the job - but that's why we have spares, right?

The PSU-5CR/FP-7 power supply which goes with the ensemble is currently located in the box at the very bottom of the photo. Tomorrow I'll built one more set of rack ears then mount it. A 2" gap between the supply and the 150R will facilitate mounting a sliding computer keyboard tray, on which I'll place mic/key/logbook when the station is in operation.

The acquisition of this station's various components was pure happenstance all the way, spanning several years time and relying largely on plain dumb luck. I have to give a wave of thanks to an IoMH member for directing me to the last piece of the puzzle, the Astro-DR. It didn't come with the Kilowatt but makes a nice addition.

I suppose life in the rack is better than all of the stuff ending up in the scrap bin.
Nice find.

W3WN
12-22-2011, 09:07 AM
I need to get a text message or something whenever someone needs a drink around here.
OK, so wuddaya want? A Slap Dragon or a Screaming Viking? Or how about something really girly? A Blueberry Martini made with Vanilla Faux French Vodka? Chocolate Whiskey Float?It's been a while since I've had a Slippery Nipple. But I think I'll settle for a good Amaretto on the rocks.

KJ3N
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
It's been a while since I've had a Slippery Nipple. But I think I'll settle for a good Amaretto on the rocks.

:agree:

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/ea52b0ca.jpg
nipple slippers?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/LazzaroniAmaretto.gif

N8YX
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Got the last set of rack ears installed and the power supply mounted. Decided to place the component directly under the radios so its power output lead could be connected to either. Thinking I'll mount the sliding keyboard tray underneath the supply - the writing surface will still be 32" off the floor.

Need a counterweight for the bottom - was thinking about building some shelves to house my VHF/UHF amplifiers and the supplies which run them. All this talk of booze, however, makes me wonder if I can somehow stuff a keg in yon rack.

KC2UGV
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Will this fit:
http://www.kegerator.com/EdgeStar-Full-Size-Kegerator-And-Keg-Beer-Cooler-w-Home-Brew-Tap-KC2000SSHMBREW/KC2000SSHMBREW,default,pd.html?cgid=Kegerators-Home_Kegerators

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Will this fit:
http://www.kegerator.com/EdgeStar-Full-Size-Kegerator-And-Keg-Beer-Cooler-w-Home-Brew-Tap-KC2000SSHMBREW/KC2000SSHMBREW,default,pd.html?cgid=Kegerators-Home_Kegerators
Make it fit!

K7SGJ
12-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Just put a couple of rock anchors in the floor, bolt the rack to them, problem solved. :hyper:

KG4CGC
12-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Slot nuts and come alongs. That bitch ain't goin' nowheres.
Ayup!

N8YX
12-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Will this fit:

A little too wide, but there are other places in the house to park that. :mrgreen:

ka4dpo
12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Hey that rock anchor idea is not too bad at all. That is a beautiful set of equipment John but you know how those Swans drift like homeless people. You're liable to wake up and find that rack in the neighbors yard. I agree, bolt that sucker to the floor that will keep them stable.

N8YX
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
That is a beautiful set of equipment John but you know how those Swans drift like homeless people.

Synthesizers drift...wait wut? :lol:

That -DR model has a TCXO in it. Total drift from power-up is less than 3ppm. Even though it's not temp-compensated, the -150R settles down after drifting 50hz from cold start-up.

FWIW, this is a heckuva lot better than my 7-lines or the Kenwood 820-series stuff can manage. The FT-90x and Astro 10x are almost as good: 200hz total drift from powerup. Not bad for 1980s VFO/PTO technology.

N8YX
12-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Latest pic of front - all of the gear has been installed. I tried to find a mic hanger to bolt to the (thoughtfully provided) holes on the 150R's front panel; think any of them want to come along willingly?

Next task is to build rack ears and shelves for my Astron PSUs and accompanying VHF/UHF amplifiers then build brackets for cooling fans at the rear of the modules - and wire the rack. I'll probably use ARB-704s or a similar control box design to facilitate T/R changeover of amp and muting of receivers.

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Hey that rock anchor idea is not too bad at all. That is a beautiful set of equipment John but you know how those Swans drift like homeless people. You're liable to wake up and find that rack in the neighbors yard. I agree, bolt that sucker to the floor that will keep them stable.

Sounds like he needs a watch cat to live in the garage!

KC2UGV
12-24-2011, 12:17 AM
A little too wide, but there are other places in the house to park that. :mrgreen:

3/4 height rack, mounted to the top... Welding works miracles :)