PDA

View Full Version : "Green" drives with SATA ports

N1LAF
12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
These postings are for information and those who may have experienced the same problems, as well as those who are planning to upgrade.

As most knows, the flood damage from Thailand has put a crimp on hard drive sales. So, when I was looking for a large HD to replace an older 320 GB drive, I came across a Western Digital 2TB "Green" drive. For data use, I don't think the performance would take a big hit, and the drive energy consumption lower.

I installed the drive, and took 3.5 hours to do a full format.

I was having troubles with the "Green" drive and my system. For SATA BIOS settings, all I have is OFF, ON, and DEFAULT. After installation, my computer would stop in at the beginning, F1 to continue, F2 for settings. And would hang on boot into Windows most of the time. I would have to reboot a couple times for it to be recognized. I am thinking it has something to do with the power consumption management of the drive. I remove the drive, and the problem goes away. I put in a WD 1TB caviar "Black" drive, what I was going to use for the boot drive replacement, as the storage drive. System boots fine.

While rebooting and checking the BIOS settings, only the "green" drive refuses to be identified in BIOS.

All is not lost. I put the 2TB green drive in a USB 3.0 docking station, and it works fine. This drive will be used for archiving and off-system safe storage.

I have found and ordered a WD 750GB caviar Black for $119, should have it later this week.