PDA

View Full Version : Twoer

W3WN
12-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Just scored another Heath HW-30 Twoer lunchbox for a couple of bucks on eBay. Looks to be in a lot better shape than the two on hand... front panel shows no signs of mods, the case hasn't been hacked up, all the knobs are there, no rust.

Between the three of them, I plan to get a working rig together.

Why a Twoer? Nostalgia. When I was first licensed, Novices had CW only on portions of 2 meters, and I'd gotten one from a friend. Turned out to have some problems, and as a teenager, I didn't know WTF I was doing, so I only made matters worse...

So, current plan is to rehab one of these, get it on the air, and just have a little fun.

After that... well, keeping a parts rig on hand is never a bad idea. I'm toying with the idea of using the case of the one that got smashed up in shipping for another project.

Regardless, that's all a long ways off now. But just out of idle curiousity... anyone else curious about having a little nostalgic fun on 2 meter AM?

N8YX
12-20-2011, 04:39 AM
But just out of idle curiousity... anyone else curious about having a little nostalgic fun on 2 meter AM?

One of my area buddies has a Clegg Zeus and IIRC he also has a Thor. I used to run a bit of 2M AM in the day with a KLM Multi-2700. At present, if I want to work either 6 or 2M AM I have to do it by way of an FT-90x/FTV-901 combo - and that equipment is in storage at the moment.

It would be a fun mode, to be sure. As would VHF RTTY - we all did that too.

K7SGJ
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah, kind of a long haul, though.

N8YX
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, kind of a long haul, though.

Ducting is your friend.

K7SGJ
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I know. I just can't seem to find the right sized duct.

w2amr
12-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Ducting is your friend........ next summer:mrgreen:

WØTKX
12-20-2011, 05:20 PM
I have used AM with my FT-857's on 2 and 6 sometimes. Really fun for a local ragchew.

If you can do the distance with FM simplex, try AM.

N8YX
12-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I can operate my VX-7R on 6M AM. The fixed-station counterpart is a TS-660 which is due for a trip to the bench for an alignment, so it's out of the lineup at the moment. We in the Akron area used to have a lot of fun on 6 AM back in the day.

W3WN
12-24-2011, 07:22 PM
So we're waiting for the mail carrier today (the boss had a cookie tray for him), and when he pulls up, he says "Hey, I have a package for you!" and pulls a box of diapers out of the back. Of course, it was just the box. Inside was the Twoer, wrapped in bubble wrap, enclosed in a plastic trash bag, and the rest of the box filled with packing peanuts.

It showed a little rust (or something like it) on the speaker grill, which didn't really show in the pictures, and there's a few holes in the back of the case I didn't anticipate. Nothing outrageous.

Probably won't have time to wire it up until late Monday at the earliest... but I'm looking forward to it.

K7SGJ
12-24-2011, 08:44 PM
So we're waiting for the mail carrier today (the boss had a cookie tray for him), and when he pulls up, he says "Hey, I have a package for you!" and pulls a box of diapers out of the back. Of course, it was just the box. Inside was the Twoer, wrapped in bubble wrap, enclosed in a plastic trash bag, and the rest of the box filled with packing peanuts.

It showed a little rust (or something like it) on the speaker grill, which didn't really show in the pictures, and there's a few holes in the back of the case I didn't anticipate. Nothing outrageous.

Probably won't have time to wire it up until late Monday at the earliest... but I'm looking forward to it.

Wow, being that it was in a diaper box, I'd be real careful around that "rust".

w2amr
12-25-2011, 03:12 PM

I have a really cool mod from Heath to add a simple squelch unit to the CB-1 lunchbox. I would imagine it would also work with the 2er, 6er, or 10er. All you need are two resisters, two #47 bulbs, and a terminal strip. If you are interested I can E-mail it to you as a PDF.

n2ize
12-25-2011, 11:18 PM
I have a Johnson 6n2 rig which is perfect for 6 & 2 meter AM & CW... 100 watts on CW. But I need to replace the final output tube and from what I see they are expensive as heck these days.

w2amr
12-26-2011, 03:13 AM
I have a Johnson 6n2 rig which is perfect for 6 & 2 meter AM & CW... 100 watts on CW. But I need to replace the final output tube and from what I see they are expensive as heck these days.
You also need to hook it up to a Viking II or Valiant because it has no P/S or modulator. That's why I sold the one I had.
Remember back in the 80's I traded you a two meter beam for one of those things?

KG4CGC
12-26-2011, 03:16 AM
I keep seeing this thread and I keep thinking, "It's spelled, Tower."

N8YX
12-26-2011, 04:18 AM

What does it use?

ETA:

A 5894. I'll have to check the junk box to see if I have one. Perhaps a lucky hamfest find might help?

kf0rt
12-26-2011, 05:56 AM
What does it use?

ETA:

A 5894. I'll have to check the junk box to see if I have one. Perhaps a lucky hamfest find might help?

$44.25 at Antique Electronic Supply if not...

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

K7SGJ
12-26-2011, 10:42 AM
What does it use?

ETA:

When I think of a lucky ham fest find, for many, a shower comes to mind.

W3WN
12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, being that it was in a diaper box, I'd be real careful around that "rust".:clap::clap::clap:

W3WN
12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I have a really cool mod from Heath to add a simple squelch unit to the CB-1 lunchbox. I would imagine it would also work with the 2er, 6er, or 10er. All you need are two resisters, two #47 bulbs, and a terminal strip. If you are interested I can E-mail it to you as a PDF.Sure! No hurry though.