PDA

View Full Version : I'm Doing The Happy Dance!

KJ4FEL
12-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Went down this morning to the York County Amateur Radio Society in Rock Hill, SC (not my home club) and took and PASSED Element 4 to upgrade to Amateur Extra so...

de KJ4FEL/AE

What a relief when the VE's told me I had passed!

It wasn't until I found this forum that I really got active in amateur radio. I know that many if not all of you will find that hard to believe since I don't post much :) but I do enjoy reading your posts and gleaning as much as I can from them.

I was first licensed in 2008 and stayed just on the local repeaters with an HT. Didn't start getting serious about really learning more until May 2010. I upgraded to General in Feb. 2011 and got my first HF rig and have really been enjoying HF and PSK-31. Finally found time and motivation to study and woohoo... I did it. My next goal is to learn CW. I'd also like to become a VE.

Thanks for letting me "toot my own horn" for a bit. I'm still bouncing off the walls at having passed and wanted to share :-D

PA5COR
12-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you to the promotion to Extra!!

Now you belong to the old coots then..... have fun :)

ad4mg
12-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Went down this morning to the York County Amateur Radio Society in Rock Hill, SC (not my home club) and took and PASSED Element 4 to upgrade to Amateur Extra so...

de KJ4FEL/AE

What a relief when the VE's told me I had passed!

It wasn't until I found this forum that I really got active in amateur radio. I know that many if not all of you will find that hard to believe since I don't post much :) but I do enjoy reading your posts and gleaning as much as I can from them.

I was first licensed in 2008 and stayed just on the local repeaters with an HT. Didn't start getting serious about really learning more until May 2010. I upgraded to General in Feb. 2011 and got my first HF rig and have really been enjoying HF and PSK-31. Finally found time and motivation to study and woohoo... I did it. My next goal is to learn CW. I'd also like to become a VE.

Thanks for letting me "toot my own horn" for a bit. I'm still bouncing off the walls at having passed and wanted to share :-D
Awesome! Yes, do the VE thing, it's very rewarding, especially if you get hooked up with a good group.

Congratulations on the upgrade! Now that's all behind you. It took me 19 months to advance from Technician (the no-code variety we had in 1992) to Extra. I got locked up on the code at the 13 wpm barrier.

It's very pleasing to hear you gained something from the forum here. The group here is very good about helping without being judgmental, but the amateur radio related forums sure could use a little more activity. I think the political forum sucks all the oxygen outta the room sometimes ...

Again, congratulations!

W4GPL
12-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Congrats! :cheers:

That extra HF bandwidth is well worth the time it took to study. :)

W2NAP
12-17-2011, 12:57 PM
i took gen and extra back in... well i forget it was sometime in 2011. I missed extra by 1. of course i didnt study for extra. became HF-less and never bothered to go on with getting extra. just gave up no point with no HF anyway.

anyway congrats!

NQ6U
12-17-2011, 12:59 PM
FB OM!

(Studying for Element 4 right now myself)

ki4itv
12-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Hey! Great News! congrats...that's a good feeling, I remember it well.
I called my dad when I got mine...he went all curmudgeon on me for a minute about snow, tall hills, then mean and ugly FCC people in a Federal building, and eventually worked his way around to congratulated me on my efforts.
:lol:

ad4mg
12-17-2011, 01:03 PM
FB OM!

(Studying for Element 4 right now myself)
Beryllium? One of the alkaline earth metals, atomic weight 9.012182. Sounds a little dull ... :snicker:

KG4CGC
12-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Congratulations on the upgrade! Now the only thing you have to be extra careful of is transmitting out of band! Hence the title, Extra.

NQ6U
12-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Beryllium? One of the alkaline earth metals, atomic weight 9.012182. Sounds a little dull ... :snicker:

But it becomes more interesting when alloyed with copper. Potentially poisonous, though—you don't want to inhale beryllium dust.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Freakin' excellent! And heartiest congrats! Enjoy those privileges you just earned. Worth all the work you put into the effort. Welcome to the Extra Bands!

And, go ahead and toot your own horn when you want. How would we know such wonderful news if you didn't tell us?

And you're very, very welcome to all the help you've already gotten, and any you might need in the future. I'm sure that there are others here that share my feeling of, "I'm just paying back all the wonderful help I've gotten over the years."

Again congrats! Very nice to hear that and to meet you.

Paul

kf0rt
12-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Congrats, OM. No more tests for YOU! :)

KG4CGC
12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I have the feeling that this is going to turn into a giant celebration so as you barkeep, I am prepared.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/de31fda0.jpg

N2CHX
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Congrats!

W3WN
12-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Congratulations! Well done! :monkeydance:

W3WN
12-17-2011, 02:21 PM
I have the feeling that this is going to turn into a giant celebration so as you barkeep, I am prepared.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/de31fda0.jpgNot to hijack the thread, but something on the lines of the spoiler had me thinking of our barkeep the other night...

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Congrats, OM. No more tests for YOU! :)

Aye! There's the rub. The only problem when I finally got my Extra was the let down of, Drat! no more tests. Somehow that "next step" was great to look forward to!

Not that that took anything away from the feeling I get when I see "Extra" on my license!

KG4CGC
12-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Aye! There's the rub. The only problem when I finally got my Extra was the let down of, Drat! no more tests. Somehow that "next step" was great to look forward to!

Not that that took anything away from the feeling I get when I see "Extra" on my license!You can always study for your GROL.

N2CHX
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
One of these days I'll upgrade. Licensed since 1984 and still a General.

KG4CGC
12-17-2011, 04:01 PM
One of these days I'll upgrade. Licensed since 1984 and still a General.

You should be able to pass it blindfolded.

N2CHX
12-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Yeah I know but I have very little motivation to upgrade. If my hubby bought me a brand new rig for Christmas I might become more motivated lol.

KJ4FEL
12-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank You Very Much Everyone!!!!

It's been a happy day for me :)

Steve

N2CHX
12-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Thank You Very Much Everyone!!!!

It's been a happy day for me :)

Steve

As it should be :)

Now get off this forum and go make some contacts on those formerly forbidden frequencies.

W2NAP
12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah I know but I have very little motivation to upgrade. If my hubby bought me a brand new rig for Christmas I might become more motivated lol.

totally feel ya there... cept the hubby part. but someone buying me a whole new rig... or slightly old then id prob have the motivation to upgrade!

rich women never hook up with us poor dudes..

K7SGJ
12-17-2011, 06:29 PM

I tried that. It doesn't work. Can't see shit.

BTW Congrats on passing the test, Steve. Don't believe what they say about no more tests. There will always be someone to test your patience, your resolve, ..................well, you get the idea.

W7XF
12-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I look at it this way:

If an autistic gay guy can pass the Extra, ANYONE CAN!!

Congrats, Steve!!

N8YX
12-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Congrats! Let's see if we can get another Island net going sometime this winter and try those new privileges out.

Speaking of upgrades...'DSG is still procrastinating on her studies. Told her the price of talking to Kelli via HF is passage of that General (no control op courtesy of me...hah!) Perhaps she'll pick the book back up soon...

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 08:47 PM
My wife was doing really well about a year ago. She was really close to testing for her tech. Then, for some reason (mostly work) she started slacking. Since she and her bro will be selling the business soon, maybe she'll have time to get back to it. Then we can ditch these damn cell phones. Then, maybe get her to go for General, and then, who knows...............