PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to "loathe and fear" wall warts.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Mangling a quote by Hunter Thompson.....

Part of my studio is a mic preamp, brand is dbX. It's an excellent piece and works supremely well. Does all it needs to including phantom power.

BUT, and this blows my mind from such a well-respected company. It's got a wall wart. Well it is what is and there's no avoiding them. But dbX did crappy job with this one. It works just fine; no gripes there. But it's an off-brand and its voltage (20v) doesn't match the preamp (18v). Well, OK....the preamp specs probably say that's OK; that's not listed.

The problem is that I hadn't applied Sharpie-fu to the unit and, when I it pulled out after years of neglect last night I had to do a lot of soul-searching to determine it was the right one for the preamp. As it turned out, it was OK.

Just a rant...and a heads up if you run into this.

Actually an excuse to post this long-winded information.

I got that preamp at Manny's Music, and the sales guy there was excellent. I was picking up a large diaphragm studio mic for my workstation. After I decided on the Shure KSM-32 (Sweet!), then the guy told me the "facts of life."

He said the preamps in my workstation were more or less an afterthought, and probably cost about a dollar, and to get all out of the mic I could, I really needed to spend the extra $$$ for a preamp. Couldn't just get a phantom power supply. His reasons were compelling and I wound up with the dbX. It's a fine unit, just didn't catch on & he had one he could give me a good break on.

It was that experience that made me receptive when the guy in the high-end stereo shop told me about phono preampes. I was receptive to what he said and got the Creek. And, yes, I immediately heard the difference between that and any other hi-fi gear I've had, including a Dynakit PAS-3. It was breathtaking! That's why I'm such an evangelist about doing vinyl digitization correctly.

And, BTW, about leaving a preamp on all the time. dbX, also, recommends that. That's two for two from well-respected companies. I'm thinking that there IS something to that. OTOH, the potential for damage/fire is a compelling reason NOT to do that. Just make sure to allow for time for the preamp to come up!

And P.S.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Behringer B-1 at a hamfest for $65. Grabbed it! Looked and felt like the Shure...even came in it's own case with mount and wind guard. Didn't know at the time that they're only $100 new. Finally gave it a test drive last night and I LIKE it! It's also top-rated at Guitar Center. Damn site cheaper that the Shure, and sounds like a pair of those will do me right!

kf0rt
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Kind of a side note, Paul.

Many if not most laptop power supplies are 19v -- they're generally inexpensive and easy to find on the used market (eBay, etc.).

Sounds like you're building up quite a studio there. Wish I had enough musical talent to play more than the stereo -- sounds like a bunch of fun!

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Kind of a side note, Paul.

Many if not most laptop power supplies are 19v -- they're generally inexpensive and easy to find on the used market (eBay, etc.).

Sounds like you're building up quite a studio there. Wish I had enough musical talent to play more than the stereo -- sounds like a bunch of fun!

Literally... Better then Sex! And it lasts a long longer!

Thanks for the tip about laptop batteries. Sounds like just the ticket!

Yep...that stuff is almost more of a disease than collecting vintage ham stuff, in part because it's more readily available, and, if you think ham gear has benefited from Hi-tech, you ain't seen nothing yet. And a LOT of it is very user and budget friendly. Musicians, in general, don't have a lot of available bucks, and "they" know that and serve the low-end very, very well!

K7SGJ
12-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a bunch of Dell supplies that do 19v@3A. Got one missing the connector. All you need to do is add whatever connector you need and wrap the cable around another ferrite choke. You can probably find one on an old telco-computer cable used for dial up. If you want it send me an address.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, but I think I have one of those here already. I'll check and get back to you.