PDA

View Full Version : Normalizng with Audacity...

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 12:47 AM
From the manual:

Effect menu...

Amplify...

This effect increases or decreases the volume of the audio you have selected. When you open the dialog, Audacity automatically calculates the maximum amount you could amplify the selected audio without causing clipping (distortion caused by trying to make the audio too loud).

Audacity 1.3.13-beta

ki4itv
12-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Normalizng with Audacity...
:lol:completely expected this to be a current events/political/social engineering thread... duh, mind fart.

I still use Audacity when I'm not using Cubase. Great program. I have never really used it to do anything very fancy, it's just a quick "go to" if I want to jot something down real quick without going through the whole setup thing with Cubase.

Have some samples of what we've been working on HERE (http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/uniquenativetones).
If you care to check them out. These were recorded using Cubase at home.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 11:59 AM
:lol:completely expected this to be a current events/political/social engineering thread... duh, mind fart.

I still use Audacity when I'm not using Cubase. Great program. I have never really used it to do anything very fancy, it's just a quick "go to" if I want to jot something down real quick without going through the whole setup thing with Cubase.

Have some samples of what we've been working on HERE (http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/uniquenativetones).
If you care to check them out. These were recorded using Cubase at home.

:rofl:

Yea...didn't notice, but that title DOES sound like that!

And that's pretty much how I use Audacity; great tool for quick jobs. I have special fun doing FFT's on the sounds. But for serious production, I'm a "whole studio in a box" kind of guy, as in the Boss BR1200 infinite toy. It's all there and very portable and does a damn fine with with audio production. Special mention of the Mastering Tool Kit is in order. It's magic to this neophyte. This machine replaces a venerable and loved VS-880EX. Loved that in its day, but it's pretty long in the tooth now, and an upgrade was in order. The new machine has nowhere near as stiff a learning curve as the old machine.

kb2vxa
12-17-2011, 07:35 PM
I guess you can normalize just about anything with audacity, the willingness to take bold risks. (;->) I've used it for a quick fix and a little playing around but my main audio editing suite is Adobe Audition, the old tried and true Cool Edit Pro by Scintillium without all those loop tracks I never had any use for. Ever take a close look at the laptop displays TAPS uses on Ghost Hunters? They must think highly of Audition too.