PDA

View Full Version : New SSD in my laptop...

W4GPL
12-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Holy crap, this was so worth the $200.. :heart:

Everything is noticeably faster, I don't have any benchmarks to compare, but it's like a new laptop.

N1LAF
12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Can you keep us posted on what you learn using SSD? Some of us are very interested? Any idea on power consumption?

W4GPL
12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I've been looking at power consumption for the last 30 minutes or so.. if my previous metrics are right, I'm getting about a 20% savings on battery drain.

It's weird not hearing the drive crank. :)

I had 100GB HDD and upgraded to a 128GB.. so I'm still limited on space, but I have a portable USB 500GB for extra storage.

K7SGJ
12-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I've been using a 120Gb and a 128Gb SSD in a laptop and a netbook for some time now, and I'll nver go back. We don't have any desktop units anymore so storage capacity isn't a big issue. On the one laptop, I use the SSD for the boot drive and have a regular second internal 500Gb for data. When the SSD in this machine went TU, I put in a 7200 RPM sata until I received the warranty replacement. I got it in a few weeks ago, but haven't had time put it back in yet. I can say from experience, the SSD boots in way less than half the time as the 7200 unit. I'm glad to see the prices coming down from what I bought the first one for, and the capacity go up. Pretty soon a large SSD will be affordable enough to no longer need motorized drives.

KA9MOT
12-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I've been wanting an SSD for a while now. Someday, when I am rich and famous........

Thanks for the review!

n6hcm
12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
i've had a SSD in my 4+ year old mac book pro for a year now ... it's made a very old computer new again. i thought about upgrading the computer a few weeks ago when i was sorting a >100,000 row spreadsheet.

battery life hasn't improved (because i hammer on it) but it all happens so much faster. the first SSD failed after a few months and the manufacturer (crucial) replaced it under warranty with the same size SSD in their high-end line and it's been rock solid ever since.

make sure your operating system has TRIM support (current operating systems do have this; windows xp does not). if you have windows xp make sure the SSD manufacturer offers tools for managing the drive.

KC2UGV
12-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Looking at SSD drives to host my server swap files, Freenet Datastore, and I2P NetDB for performance. Sounds like it's worth it, thus far, especially for a small one like I need :)

NA4BH
12-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Will this eliminate the joys of a HD crash?

W4GPL
12-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Will this eliminate the joys of a HD crash?It certainly eliminates the risk of a mechanical failure.. but there are other factors that still require you maintain solid backups.

NA4BH
12-16-2011, 11:56 PM
It certainly eliminates the risk of a mechanical failure.. but there are other factors that still require you maintain solid backups.

That's what I meant. Thanks for the info.

K7SGJ
12-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Will this eliminate the joys of a HD crash?

No, it just happens a lot quicker and quieter.

K7SGJ
12-17-2011, 10:42 AM
i've had a SSD in my 4+ year old mac book pro for a year now ... it's made a very old computer new again. i thought about upgrading the computer a few weeks ago when i was sorting a >100,000 row spreadsheet.

battery life hasn't improved (because i hammer on it) but it all happens so much faster. the first SSD failed after a few months and the manufacturer (crucial) replaced it under warranty with the same size SSD in their high-end line and it's been rock solid ever since.

make sure your operating system has TRIM support (current operating systems do have this; windows xp does not). if you have windows xp make sure the SSD manufacturer offers tools for managing the drive.

I had the same thing happen, from the same company.