PDA

View Full Version : Ham Swells Make Hot Deal, Kimchi-Style!

Jeff K1NSS
12-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Dash!Reports denies all wild rumors.

kb2vxa
12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
A new world economy based on S&H Green Stamps? Like the German economy after WW1 mom had to redeem a wheelbarrow full of books for a lousy table lamp.A week later I knocked it over while playing in the living room, when I heard the shriek MY NEW LAMP I ran out the door like hell was on my heels, it was. Yeah, a midnight visit by a Skull and Dog Bones agent is in order. So, where are they going to put all those refugees? I know where they can put Kim Bong Dong.

KG4CGC
12-16-2011, 04:15 PM
A new world economy based on S&H Green Stamps? Like the German economy after WW1 mom had to redeem a wheelbarrow full of books for a lousy table lamp.A week later I knocked it over while playing in the living room, when I heard the shriek MY NEW LAMP I ran out the door like hell was on my heels, it was. Yeah, a midnight visit by a Skull and Dog Bones agent is in order. So, where are they going to put all those refugees? I know where they can put Kim Bong Dong.
Mom always said, don't play ball in the house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFkxA0P7Q8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFkxA0P7Q8

Jeff K1NSS
12-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Ha! Wow, the Mom looked a lot older then. What happened?

Re trading stamps, yeah that was a familiar story at our house. I think about a third of everything came from a balanced portfolio of Green, Blue, Red, and no kidding swear to God, Plaid Stamps. If something broke or wore out, the kitchen drawer that contained the rubber band tied books of stamps was ransacked. Amazing, some intermediate state of exchange between cold cash and Monopoly money.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Remember all of them, plus, the one I collected (Mom did the Holden Red Stamps) Gold Bell Gift Stamps. Finally saved enough for their little cartoon projector. LOVED that!

K7SGJ
12-16-2011, 08:12 PM
We also had Gold Bond stamps. Mom and Grandma did the S&H Green and the GB. The only thing I ever got with them was my first Zippo lighter. I may still have it somewhere.

NQ6U
12-17-2011, 01:34 AM
I remember that at the grocery store my parents used, there was a dispenser for S&H Green Stamps that had a dial on it much like the ones on telephones of that era. The checker would dial up the exact amount of stamps she (checkers were almost always women back then) needed. I believe it was just used for dispensing small numbers of stamps.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 04:50 AM
Telephones had dials? Like with a knob or something?

NQ6U
12-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Telephones had dials? Like with a knob or something?

No, they was these round twirly things with holes in 'em for your finger.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Yea...NOW I remember...you put your finger in the operator's hole and dialed til she came on the line?

K7SGJ
12-17-2011, 09:55 AM
YIKES!

Where the hell is BR549 when you need it?

NQ6U
12-17-2011, 12:56 PM
YIKES!

Where the hell is BR549 when you need it?

Right here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7ze4E0dCA&feature=related

kb2vxa
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
"Yea...NOW I remember...you put your finger in the operator's hole and dialed til she came on the line?"

Yeah, sort of. If you dialed a few random numbers you could hear her wail, THAT'S when she came on the line... aaaAAAaaaAAAaaaAAA...

WØTKX
12-18-2011, 06:27 PM
An alligator clip to that old school dialstop made for a decent SW radio listening antenna, if you didn't have anything else to use.

Jeff K1NSS
12-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Anyone remember "the beep line?" Big high school loser fad upstate NY in the early 60s (Hence I was frequent practitioner) Call your own number, get a busy signal and start talking to other people who called their own number and started talking, an early form of chat room that involved timing what you said to go between busy signal pulses. Had scores of people on at once, or so it seemed, imagine CB channel 9 on skip night, a hellish thing but easier to meet women this way than watching Rat Patrol in the rumpus room. Screwed up circuits something awful, stories about it the newspapers, then everybody moved on to CPO shirts or something.

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
They were Nehru out this way. Wow, you had a phone? We couldn't even afford a busy signal.

ETA Goofy me, I forgot to put in the "we were so poor" part. Kinda loses its fizz without it.

Jeff K1NSS
12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
They were Nehru? Ya just blew all the circuits in my decoder ring.

Far as our lavish suburban lifestyle, we had three phones, not to mention three bedrooms not counting my basement bedroom shack, two outdoor faucets and one 21 inch Silvertone black and white lowboy. Beige wall phone in the kitchen, my sister's pink Princess, and my black dial rotary desk on a...a-hem...separate line in my shack. Did a lot of feeding audio directly into the phone line from music sources and voice amplifiers mainly to audially spar with and annoy fellow local kid hams. Come to think, might be something about that in the last Dash!Book 60's memoir, Hair of the Dog-Faced Ham, coming one of these months.

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 07:21 PM
My word. You did live high on the hog. You had bedrooms AND faucets?

Jeff K1NSS
12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Thing was, we couldn't use 'em at the same time unless we stuck pennies in the fuse box.

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 07:38 PM
YOU HAD PENNIES ?

NQ6U
12-18-2011, 08:06 PM
YOU HAD PENNIES ?

Yeah, really, he must be one of those one percent-ers. We had to go to construction sites and glean the knocked-out slugs from electrical boxes.

K7SGJ
12-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, really, he must be one of those one percent-ers. We had to go to construction sites and glean the knocked-out slugs from electrical boxes.

You had slugs? The only slug we had was a pet, and it left a slimy trail, and it only had one eye. Damn thing ran away. The bastid.

Jeff K1NSS
12-18-2011, 10:12 PM
You guys said knocked-out one-eyed slugs! Best laugh since I regained consciousness!

The gleaning, the slime...oh the hamanity.