PDA

View Full Version : Grr I feel like an idiot

KB3LAZ
12-16-2011, 05:09 AM
Locked myself out of my car. Have never done that before. Wouldnt you know, I cant get in touch with anyone to bring me a spare set. Oye, oh well guess I will wait till my father gets home from work so I can give him a call and have him bring me the spare set I leave with him.

What a way to end a night and start a morning.

KG4CGC
12-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Is it a remote lock? Try the cellphone trick!
Have Dad transmit the the remote over the phone while you hold your phone up to the car. Might take a few tries to find, The Sweet Spot.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Is it a remote lock? Try the cellphone trick!
Have Dad transmit the the remote over the phone while you hold your phone up to the car. Might take a few tries to find, The Sweet Spot.

No, if it was I would be set, the window is down just a wee bit I would just have used a hanger to hit the lock button. Sadly I can not reach with my hand to unlock the door and the lock is straight up and down, cant get a hold on it with anything to pull it up. :P

KG4CGC
12-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Dude! You can reach it! I've done it before. hanger, small loop, right angle and side tension.
Then there's the metal ruler trick. Slide it down the window until you find, The Sweet Spot!

KB3LAZ
12-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Dude! You can reach it! I've done it before. hanger, small loop, right angle and side tension.
Then there's the metal ruler trick. Slide it down the window until you find, The Sweet Spot!

Lol. Meh, talking to Pilar anyway. If I get bored waiting on my dad I will give that a shot.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Recent car? Spares are expensive?

A spare on the bottom of an alternate pocket that you never dig deeply in make this a "no problem" But that's from when keys were cheap. Nowadays, hoo-haa! Still....these incidents make it seem worth it.

Always worried about that with a rental car. But then, the major companies would probably unlock it with a phone call, IF you can read the number with the keys locked in!

KB3LAZ
12-16-2011, 06:24 AM

A spare on the bottom of an alternate pocket that you never dig deeply in make this a "no problem" But that's from when keys were cheap. Nowadays, hoo-haa! Still....these incidents make it seem worth it.

Always worried about that with a rental car. But then, the major companies would probably unlock it with a phone call, IF you can read the number with the keys locked in!

I have a spare. I normally keep it in my wallet but I lent it to my father because his car was acting up so he was using mine and I needed my key ring to do other things. Just havent though ahead enough to get the spare back lol.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Dang these new fangled locks. In the old days a "slim jim", made from an old strip of discarded Venetian blind would open virtually any car in short order.

K7SGJ
12-16-2011, 09:06 AM

While true that the new keys are expensive and bulky, I always have a couple of regular spare keys made from the electronic one. They won't let you start the engine, but they will open the doors and trunk, plus they fit flat in a wallet.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2011, 05:42 PM
:D Sorry, I was sleeping. Got into my car ofc. Spare back in my wallet.

WX7P
12-16-2011, 05:52 PM
AAA. If you don't have that, It'll cost you about $45.

Beats waiting around.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I have a spare. I normally keep it in my wallet but I lent it to my father because his car was acting up so he was using mine and I needed my key ring to do other things. Just havent though ahead enough to get the spare back lol.

That's a classic Bummer! Yep, even with a spare it can happen. Happened to me!

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 05:58 PM
While true that the new keys are expensive and bulky, I always have a couple of regular spare keys made from the electronic one. They won't let you start the engine, but they will open the doors and trunk, plus they fit flat in a wallet.

Very, very good information to know! Thanks!

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Re: Slim Jims and AAA.

Used a slim jim once & here's a caveat. You CAN bend a rod (huh-huh) in there & then ya gotta re-adust it.

AAA...usually works fine. Once it didn't for me, but it was in NYC where their service isn't always as good as you expect. They looked, said "Can't do nothing" and took off. Fortunately one of New York's finest stopped to help out. He went over to where some ConEd workers were working, and brought back someone who knew how to get into my car. Saved the day! Cops CAN be really good guys!

KB3LAZ
12-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Re: Slim Jims and AAA.

Used a slim jim once & here's a caveat. You CAN bend a rod (huh-huh) in there & then ya gotta re-adust it.

AAA...usually works fine. Once it didn't for me, but it was in NYC where their service isn't always as good as you expect. They looked, said "Can't do nothing" and took off. Fortunately one of New York's finest stopped to help out. He went over to where some ConEd workers were working, and brought back someone who knew how to get into my car. Saved the day! Cops CAN be really good guys!

My dad called AAA once, broke the seal between the window and the door. A spare is less expensive. Besides I was at a friends place not like I was stuck outside or something. :P

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 06:38 PM
My dad called AAA once, broke the seal between the window and the door. A spare is less expensive. Besides I was at a friends place not like I was stuck outside or something. :P

Hear that. The Coned guy knew how NOT to break that seal.

KC2UGV
12-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I always just popped the back 1/4 window out, and unlocked that way. Only works in sedans/coupes though.

KB3LAZ
12-17-2011, 01:01 AM
I always just popped the back 1/4 window out, and unlocked that way. Only works in sedans/coupes though.

Lol, you would have to have some damn long arms for that to work with my car.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 01:05 AM

That's what the cop suggested. He headed over to the Coned worksite to get something to break it with. That's how he found the guy who knew how to do it properly. This was down in the village, around where The Bottom Line used to be.