PDA

View Full Version : The Truth Behind Postal Delays

KG4CGC
12-16-2011, 01:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWzpxAdzBk&feature=player_embedded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWzpxAdzBk&feature=player_embedded

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Is it the flipping box (huh-huh), or the postal worker off the job shooting the video instead of taking action?

KG4CGC
12-16-2011, 03:58 AM
Is it the flipping box (huh-huh), or the postal worker off the job shooting the video instead of taking action?

Don't you just want to reach out and make it sit flat?

PA5COR
12-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Shaken but not stirred?

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 05:46 AM

Like someone shouda? Yep! That was my new Orion!

n2ize
12-16-2011, 05:53 AM
I must admit it does have a catchy beat. What the heck was in that box ? a column of steel balls ? It reminds my of those plastic jumping beans we used to play with when we were children. You know the kind ? They looked like a plastic pill capsule and they had a little steel ball bearing within. As long as you held them on an incline they would keep on tumbling and tumbling.

W5GA
12-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Was there a fragile sticker on that?
There curious want to know...why was that the ONLY box on that line? I'm thinking staged, here.

ki4itv
12-16-2011, 08:44 AM
There curious want to know...why was that the ONLY box on that line? I'm thinking staged, here.
Yep, I got the impression most of the sorting happens all at once, not one box at a time.

I lived at the end of a FED EX sorting facility Runway in Southhaven (Memphis). In the wee hours of the morning, a thousand screaching, roaring, fire breathing flying machines would descend into the neighborhood only to start departing an hour or so later...
quite an operation.

kf0rt
12-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Yep, I got the impression most of the sorting happens all at once, not one box at a time.

I lived at the end of a FED EX sorting facility Runway in Southhaven (Memphis). In the wee hours of the morning, a thousand screaching, roaring, fire breathing flying machines would descend into the neighborhood only to start departing an hour or so later...
quite an operation.

Busiest airport in the world (at that time of day).

K7SGJ
12-16-2011, 09:41 AM
I bet it was a dildo with batteries that turned itself on.

kb2crk
12-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Yes, but that would be instant termination for violation of lock out tag out......

n2ize
12-16-2011, 12:05 PM

That makes the video kind of suspect. I think that box was set up for the video.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 01:21 PM

quite an operation.

"Yep, I got the impression most of the sorting happens all at once, not one box at a time."

Good call. I installed a few computers in a big sorting facility in Secaucus, NJ, (back when Secaucus was nothing but pig farms and garbage dumps), and the conveyors never looked like that. There would have been mucho other packages to help it along. Besides, there would have been lots of people around to help it along, too.

Yep, staged all the way.

kf0rt
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
If ya only got one box, there ain't much to sort, is there?

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Yep!

Interesting story from that job, ca 1973. We used HP 2114 computers. I was a hardware jock, but had fun playing with the computers. I wrote a short little program that was geared to one of the cooler electricians on the job. It was a simulation of him calling up a lady for a date.

After a few exchanges, it'd always wind up telling him to "Flake off, snakeshit!"

Now, these guys had never been up close to a computer like that and to them, it was magic. One guy walked away in amazement mumbling, "I didn't know computers could use that kind of language!"

Had a great time working with those hard-working, Union, tradesmen. They usually busted their asses doing whatever it took to get the job done. Hard workers all the way. What was kind of fun was that the job of supporting us geeks (who couldn't touch their work) was seen as a "gravy" job. Made for a beautiful working relationship. They earned every freaquin' penny they earned. Bless 'em all!

WØTKX
12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
By your command...

http://d116.com/vcf/east/1.0/hp2114a.jpg

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
By your command...

http://d116.com/vcf/east/1.0/hp2114a.jpg

Ahhhh....thanks for the memories! (Core, of "cores").

Those keys are touch sensitive...don't move at all. When you touch one you hear a "click". Turns out that click comes from a relay mounted on the front panel Serves no other purpose than to make the click sound.

kb2vxa
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM
"Was there a fragile sticker on that?"

No, I didn't see any employees (like at UPS) playing football with it.

ka4dpo
12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
So that's what happened to my new 3-500 tube...

NA4BH
12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Glad it wasn't a shipment of nitroglycerin.