PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.something

W5GA
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
I just started playing with this, and am trying to get Seti@home up and running. I used the installer that Ubuntu has in it, but now I can't see that it installed anything in spite of what the history shows. How do I find things like this? Incidentally, I'm a complete novice in Linux.

NQ6U
12-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Try clicking on the Ubuntu logo in the very upper left hand corner. A menu will drop down and you should see it there. If it's not immediately visible, try one of the sub-menus; they have little sideways triangles to the right of them.

I like Ubuntu a lot but I think that what you describe is a weakness of the UI design. I've had the same problem after installing software.

ad4mg
12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I just started playing with this, and am trying to get Seti@home up and running. I used the installer that Ubuntu has in it, but now I can't see that it installed anything in spite of what the history shows. How do I find things like this? Incidentally, I'm a complete novice in Linux.
I never had a look at this myself, Doug, but there is a very informative discussion in the Ubuntu forums:
Ubuntu: How to Set Up BOINC / SETI@Home with CUDA (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1131430)

W4GPL
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
^ The above instructions assume you're running an Nvidia video card.

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Try clicking on the Ubuntu logo in the very upper left hand corner. A menu will drop down and you should see it there. If it's not immediately visible, try one of the sub-menus; they have little sideways triangles to the right of them.

I like Ubuntu a lot but I think that what you describe is a weakness of the UI design. I've had the same problem after installing software.

GMTA! Have the same impression, but there's a lot of saving grace.

Whenever I ran into a problem like this, I always found copious information on the web. All I had to do was apply some google-fu. Always got a good answer to fix the situation. Always seemed to spend the good part of a day or two to find the exact fix I needed. But the support is there if ya look hard enough. There's a lot of Ubuntu aficionados out and I can understand why. It's a damn sexy OS all the way around. Someday I might even soften and give it another shot -- won't be such a neophyte the second time around.

One suggestion is have you tried Download Manager? Don't know if that's the exact name, it's somewhere in one of the menus to the left. Little help, forum?

When I installed using that, it always installed seamlessly. You could try that if you haven't already.

Have fun with it!