PDA

View Full Version : Here is a totally powerful, and affordable tool for musicians/composers

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Mentioned it also in the computers, etc. thread...but this is actually more about music as an art form.

Just got finale PrintMusic (http://www.finalemusic.com/printmusic/default.aspx). It's a complete package for writing, and playing, music. The GUI is highly intuitive and a lot of it is pretty much "do what comes naturally." There's a free 30 day trial that I believe is the whole thing...just craps out after 30 days. It's discounted all over the place; I paid $100 at the Guitar Center.

Yes, clocks run very fast when you start playing with it. Enjoy!

Here's my test-drive. Welcome to Music Theory 101, first exercise. Did most of it without ever RTFM. When I had to a quick search of the User's Manual led me right to what I had to do.

The finished score:

Trying to attach the MP-3. Well, I can't. Drat! Won't accept an MP-3, and the .zip file is too big. Lo Siento Mucho!

rot
12-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Pretty cool. I've gone to the Guitar Center in Durham twice. Each time I had to leave fast. I tend to impulse buy and I could have came out with shitloads of fun stuff. Hell I have to quench my time on their site. Me and the wifey had a few sessions cooking on the family band. We suck bad, embarass the kid and scare the dogs, but I have not laughed so hard in a long time. My have to check this out...thanks.
rot

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Pretty cool. I've gone to the Guitar Center in Durham twice. Each time I had to leave fast. I tend to impulse buy and I could have came out with shitloads of fun stuff. Hell I have to quench my time on their site. Me and the wifey had a few sessions cooking on the family band. We suck bad, embarass the kid and scare the dogs, but I have not laughed so hard in a long time. My have to check this out...thanks.
rot

For SURE every trip there can be very expensive! So many infinite toys...er...tools!

But even if you suck, sessions are some of the most enjoyable time anywhere, anytime. Clocks run very, very fast while buried in one!

w2amr
12-16-2011, 02:36 PM
tool, heh heh heh heh............

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
tool, heh heh heh heh............

:bbh:

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes, speaking of expensive trips to Guitar Center...well, this one was moderate....

Got this (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Professional-MPK-Mini-Laptop-Production-Keyboard-106224769-i1629984.gc). It's a small, portable keyboard that's a perfect companion to MusicPrint.

Mostly went down to meet the good guy I bought the BR1200 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-BR-1200CD-Digital-Recording-Studio-103110722-i1125967.gc?esid=br1200) from last saturday. He was an impressive telephone sales person (what else would you expect from the GC?) & just had to meet him in person. As it turned out, he resembled Jimi Hendrix is a lot of ways...looks, voice inflection, coolness, knowledge, personality.

rot
12-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Hmmmm..might do a keyboard or something. I have an ole Casiotone MT-100 which is just about due for a Pete Townsend send off up against the wall here....been a fun one.
rot

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Saw some damn fine ones for not a lot of money.

NA4BH
12-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Hmmmm..might do a keyboard or something. I have an ole Casiotone MT-100 which is just about due for a Pete Townsend send off up against the wall here....been a fun one.
rot

:lol: :lol:

KC2KFC
12-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I've used Finale for many years now. It is a great piece of software and sure beats pen & ink on staff paper.

W1GUH
12-23-2011, 04:18 PM
And it'll play what you write with expression. Been waiting, literally, decades for that!