PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if the Stratolaunch is real.

W1GUH
12-14-2011, 05:34 AM
New Stratolaunch plane will take people into Earth’s orbit (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/stratolaunch-plane-people-earth-orbit-203001086.html)

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen is teaming up with aerospace pioneer Burt Rutan to build a giant machine that is part airplane and part spaceship. The new vehicle will be able to transport people and cargo into Earth's orbit and is scheduled to be commercially available by 2016.

More power to the people developing this. Hope that the technological problems don't balloon the cost itself in to the stratosphere.

I'd book a flight on it!

W3WN
12-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Interesting. Lets's see if they can pull it off.

Let's just hope that they don't run into any suborbital transit warps. Especially if they build a plane and name it the Spindrift.

W5GA
12-14-2011, 03:47 PM
They'll end up shooting their eyes out.

ab1ga
12-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Reminds me of the X-15 launches of yesteryear.

KG4CGC
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
What happened to the rail accelerator launch idea?

K7SGJ
12-14-2011, 06:31 PM
What happened to the rail accelerator launch idea?

It got.............................side tracked

KG4CGC
12-14-2011, 07:17 PM
groan>_<

VE7DCW
12-14-2011, 07:58 PM
It's neat to see that famous aircraft designer Burt Ruttan is involved in the design stages of this new spacecraft launch method....... he did miracle work designing the Voyager aircraft that did that non stop, non refuelled trip around the world in 1986 ....... the guy does genius work..... but,got to give credit of course to his brother Dick and Jeanna Yeager who piloted that aircraft.

I hope this Paul Allen enterprise does well :agree:

W1GUH
12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Me, too. I can't think of anything I'd like to see MS riches spent on more than this. Kinda makes me proud to have a Windows machine. And I think that a real "No Shit!"

After all, the MS Flight Simulator is, IMHO, some of the most awesome consumer software ever written!

n2ize
12-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Me, too. I can't think of anything I'd like to see MS riches spent on more than this. !

I can

1) Software that actually works.
2) Feeding poor and starving people throughout the world.
3) Curing sick people and researching cures for diseases that plague mankind.
4) Donate the money to help fund OWS and other projects that are trying to bring balance, peace, and equality throughout the world
5) Fund real science that really enables us to understand the universe,

Of course these are things I would like to see. However I accept that what is popular with me is not generally popular with the rest of society.. Besides, what MS folks chose to spend their money on
is their business, not mine.

n2ize
12-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Interesting. Lets's see if they can pull it off.

Let's just hope that they don't run into any suborbital transit warps. Especially if they build a plane and name it the Spindrift.

Hah.. Yes, I remember that show. And who can forget... She may have been a "little person" on the show but she was a giant among redheads.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCKL5FvtrA7SvSzsNPDtSqx69NJeqIC TEaloSEwFh-Cc9Em7VErOjL9yft

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 12:20 AM
I can

4) Donate the money to help fund OWS and other projects that are trying to bring balance, peace, and equality throughout the world

Of course these are things I would like to see. However I accept that what is popular with me is not generally popular with the rest of society.. Besides, what MS folks chose to spend their money on

Thank you, John, for keeping it real. I will admit to a twinge of guilt; my pleasure about this project contains a not insignificant component of selfishness. But dammit, I've always dreamed of going into outer space. If I had had any opportunit at all to fly in a Gemini or Apollo spacecraft in low earth orbit, I would have jumped at it and one whatever it took. Not necessarily the shuttle, tho'...always considered too dangerous and just on the edge of disaster.

Not that I'd EVER be able to afford a flight in this. That is, if it ever does fly. But if I could, I'd book ASAP.

Thanks for being a conscience...at least for me.

:cheers:

n2ize
12-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Thank you, John, for keeping it real. I will admit to a twinge of guilt; my pleasure about this project contains a not insignificant component of selfishness. But dammit, I've always dreamed of going into outer space. If I had had any opportunit at all to fly in a Gemini or Apollo spacecraft in low earth orbit

Hmmm.. In a Gemini or Apollo spacecraft ?? Not me. I don't know if I would like that at all. Do you know how cramped and small those things were ? Basically you were strapped into a tiny compartment with little or no room to move about. And once you were launched you were stuck and committed to remaining inside that thing. Even if you could get out there was no place to get out to. It tool a special kind of person with incredible tolerance to ride those things. I will admit, I am not that person. Count me out. :)

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Oh, I'm not saying for multiple days...just a few spins around the earth.The view has GOT to be incredible, not to mention weightlessness. Oh, say, I forgot Skylab. A few day in that would've suited me fine. Yea, the Gemini was cramped but it had a perfect safety record. And the Apollo spacecraft had proven itself over and over by the time of Skylab!

n2ize
12-15-2011, 06:02 AM
For me even a few minutes (or maybe seconds) in one of those space capsules would have been too much. I don't even fly in airliners because I consider them too cramped and crowded. I also avoid elevators and especially crowded elevators. If I can I prefer to take the stairs. I don't even like sleeping under a blanket when its cold. In short I don't like being enclosed in small, cramped, or tight restrictive spaces. I am comfortable in wide open spaces I guess I would not have made a good astronaut.

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 08:34 AM
For me even a few minutes (or maybe seconds) in one of those space capsules would have been too much. I don't even fly in airliners because I consider them too cramped and crowded. I also avoid elevators and especially crowded elevators. If I can I prefer to take the stairs. I don't even like sleeping under a blanket when its cold. In short I don't like being enclosed in small, cramped, or tight restrictive spaces. I am comfortable in wide open spaces I guess I would not have made a good astronaut.

Sounds like you'd love living out west? All that space out there, see for miles and miles and all that.

kf0rt
12-15-2011, 05:03 PM
I can

The richer of the MS founders has ya covered: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx

K7SGJ
12-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Musta been hell in the womb. ;)

KC2UGV
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I did a couple of rocket launches todday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8ak12lvCc

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Very Cool!!!! Forgot all about those. Thanks for the memories!

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I can

Gotta call you on those two.

1) For all there is to hate about the OS we love to hate, I've got lots of MS software that works very well, is very stable, and is GASP! Good! AND, since I learned that MS had the good sense to re-port VAX/VMS to create NT, my respect for them has grown considerably. Even hired Gordon Bell to do the job!

2) Isn't a cheap, reusable way to achieve earth orbit with a heavy payload fundamental to that? I'd say yes, definitely. Imagine if space science budgets could lop off big chunks for the launch -- more $$$ to go into the scientific payload.

So there! <-- Just funinin'

n2ize
12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Gotta call you on those two.

1) For all there is to hate about the OS we love to hate, I've got lots of MS software that works very well, is very stable, and is GASP! Good! AND, since I learned that MS had the good sense to re-port VAX/VMS to create NT, my respect for them has grown considerably. Even hired Gordon Bell to do the job!

'

I don;t hate MS Windows. There are a few games I run now and then that only run under Windows But for everything else I prefer non-Windows platforms. For the majority of stuff I do the non-Windows platforms just work better.

Vax/Vms ?? I used it and for the time it was fantastic. But times have rolled on. These days the non-Windows stuff reminds me more of the old Vax/Vms days than the Windows stuff does. Those were great times but these days I just use what works best for me. Most of the time that means a pencil and paper... ;)

n2ize
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Isn't a cheap, reusable way to achieve earth orbit with a heavy payload fundamental to that? I'd say yes, definitely. Imagine if space science budgets could lop off big chunks for the launch -- more $$$ to go into the scientific payload.

Far more scientific values is gained from unmanned space vehicles. Space telescopes, space probes, robotics etc are far more invaluable than sending human beings into space where the biggest cost and impediment is supporting human life.

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I don;t hate MS Windows. There are a few games I run now and then that only run under Windows But for everything else I prefer non-Windows platforms. For the majority of stuff I do the non-Windows platforms just work better.

Vax/Vms ?? I used it and for the time it was fantastic. But times have rolled on. These days the non-Windows stuff reminds me more of the old Vax/Vms days than the Windows stuff does. Those were great times but these days I just use what works best for me. Most of the time that means a pencil and paper... ;)

Memory management, protection between kernel security levels, overall robustness -- the stuff you never see as a user. That's where the goodness is.

W1GUH
12-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Far more scientific values is gained from unmanned space vehicles. Space telescopes, space probes, robotics etc are far more invaluable than sending human beings into space where the biggest cost and impediment is supporting human life.

If you look at the image closely, you'll see that the center section is independent of the other fusilages. So they'll make a payload carrier that will carry unmanned space probes, and their boosters, into low earth orbit cheaply. Q.E.D. B. F. D. Ipso Facto.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Memory management, protection between kernel security levels, overall robustness -- the stuff you never see as a user. That's where the goodness is.

Yeah I know. For the time it was revolutionary. Now all that is routinely incorporated inside and outside the MS Windows world.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
If you look at the image closely, you'll see that the center section is independent of the other fusilages. So they'll make a payload carrier that will carry unmanned space probes, and their boosters, into low earth orbit cheaply. Q.E.D. B. F. D. Ipso Facto.

maybe. But do we need all that aircraft merely to send up unmanned probes ? i suspect it will just be a lot of added cost and overkill.. The main driver behind the project is sending humans (and eventually wealthy tourists) up into space. That is fine as long as they don;t use our tax dollars. If they are going to spend tax dollars I want the biggest scientific bang for the buck., The glory and patriotism of sending men into space and supposedly beating Russians was nice back in the 60's and 70's. But those days are past.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Yeah I know. For the time it was revolutionary. Now all that is routinely incorporated inside and outside the MS Windows world.

And that makes windows bad because?

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 03:24 AM
maybe. But do we need all that aircraft merely to send up unmanned probes ? i suspect it will just be a lot of added cost and overkill.. The main driver behind the project is sending humans (and eventually wealthy tourists) up into space. That is fine as long as they don;t use our tax dollars. If they are going to spend tax dollars I want the biggest scientific bang for the buck., The glory and patriotism of sending men into space and supposedly beating Russians was nice back in the 60's and 70's. But those days are past.

Lost me on that one. Supply some intermediate steps by which you came to the conclusion that we don't need all that aircraft?

n2ize
12-16-2011, 04:06 AM
And that makes windows bad because?

I never said it was bad. Just that things like memory management and securing kernel/user space etc are pretty much part of all modern day systems. To my knowledge they evolved over time. I don't believe they were unique to MS Windows.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Lost me on that one. Supply some intermediate steps by which you came to the conclusion that we don't need all that aircraft?

As long as it is privately funded it doesn't matter However, if we are going to spend tax dollars on it I would like to see that there is a gain in terms of scientific research with respect to cost versus conventional ground launches. Of to put it differently, if this device yields positive results i.e. scientific research, military advantage, cost savings over conventional space exploration, etc. then I am more than happy to run with it as far as public funding goes. But if its primarily going to be a plaything so a bunch of rich folk can cruise to the outer fringes of the atmosphere then I would prefer that it remain privately funded and in private hands.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 05:41 AM
I never said it was bad. Just that things like memory management and securing kernel/user space etc are pretty much part of all modern day systems. To my knowledge they evolved over time. I don't believe they were unique to MS Windows.

The whole discussion was prompted by your claim that MS doesn't make software that works.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 05:42 AM
As long as it is privately funded it doesn't matter However, if we are going to spend tax dollars on it I would like to see that there is a gain in terms of scientific research with respect to cost versus conventional ground launches. Of to put it differently, if this device yields positive results i.e. scientific research, military advantage, cost savings over conventional space exploration, etc. then I am more than happy to run with it as far as public funding goes. But if its primarily going to be a plaything so a bunch of rich folk can cruise to the outer fringes of the atmosphere then I would prefer that it remain privately funded and in private hands.

AFAIK, that's exactly the case.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 06:08 AM
The whole discussion was prompted by your claim that MS doesn't make software that works.

It's an ongoing joke You know, the infamous Windows blue screen of death. Actually from my personal experiences I was never happy with with Microsoft Software. I always had trouble with Windows crashing and no working properly. Not to mention security problems, viruses, malware, etc. to beat the band. I generally use open source software. For the kind of stuff I do (work, programming, entertainment, video/audio processing, etc) Linux/Open source gets the job done with fewer headaches than I experienced under Windows. The user interface is more robust and I prefer to support the open source development community as opposed to the corporate community when and where possible.

BTW... I don't get into the "OS wars" that are popular among geeks. For me a computer/software is not an emotional attachment its a device used to get something done. As long as it works I am happy. I use whatever seems to work best for me and I encourage others to do the same.

In any event that is my personal experience and preference. But the "Microsoft - software that doesn't work" is like an old time joke. Of course it works, it just runs like crap... :-D...just kidding. Of course it is reliable, that "blue screen of death" comes up each and every time... Hah !! :snicker: Just jiving with ya.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 06:16 AM
AFAIK, that's exactly the case.

Time will tell. The thing isn't in production yet and other companies will be competing for any government contracts. Frankly I feel that NASA should be privatized and any/all further space exploration should be a private endeavor. There is no longer a "space race" and there are enough private resources to fund space related research for combined military, commercial, and scientific development, as well as recreational, and the added competition and overall efficiency will be a good thing.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 02:12 PM
It's an ongoing joke You know, the infamous Windows blue screen of death. Actually from my personal experiences I was never happy with with Microsoft Software. I always had trouble with Windows crashing and no working properly. Not to mention security problems, viruses, malware, etc. to beat the band. I generally use open source software. For the kind of stuff I do (work, programming, entertainment, video/audio processing, etc) Linux/Open source gets the job done with fewer headaches than I experienced under Windows. The user interface is more robust and I prefer to support the open source development community as opposed to the corporate community when and where possible.

BTW... I don't get into the "OS wars" that are popular among geeks. For me a computer/software is not an emotional attachment its a device used to get something done. As long as it works I am happy. I use whatever seems to work best for me and I encourage others to do the same.

In any event that is my personal experience and preference. But the "Microsoft - software that doesn't work" is like an old time joke. Of course it works, it just runs like crap... :-D...just kidding. Of course it is reliable, that "blue screen of death" comes up each and every time... Hah !! :snicker: Just jiving with ya.

Very, very cool, John! Likewise, I'm sure!

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Time will tell. The thing isn't in production yet and other companies will be competing for any government contracts. Frankly I feel that NASA should be privatized and any/all further space exploration should be a private endeavor. There is no longer a "space race" and there are enough private resources to fund space related research for combined military, commercial, and scientific development, as well as recreational, and the added competition and overall efficiency will be a good thing.

Here's hoping that this is a step in the right direction for that NASA privatization. At least at this point it's all the guy's private funding. IMHO that's HUGE step for that.

Damn sight better than giving it all to the Tea Party!

Keepin' my fingers crossed.

w2amr
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I did a couple of rocket launches todday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8ak12lvCc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmrBQf1MD-I

n2ize
12-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Here's hoping that this is a step in the right direction for that NASA privatization. At least at this point it's all the guy's private funding. IMHO that's HUGE step for that.

Damn sight better than giving it all to the Tea Party!

Keepin' my fingers crossed.

I am wiith you all the way on this. I hope it works out for the best. And yeah, better than the tea party that's for sure. This sounds like some awesome technology and lets hope ot can work out in a good way.

n2ize
12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you'd love living out west? All that space out there, see for miles and miles and all that.

Yes, I probably would. Wide Open Spaces. I also like being near the ocean. Or being at high altitudes. I sleep with no blanket and the window open even in winter. A high spot in a skyscraper overlooking the skyline as far as the eye can see makes me very relaxed. there is good reason when i fly in an airliner I sit by the window and I gaze outside during the entire flight. Yes, i am claustrophobic. Closed space, restriction, makes me very uneasy.

W1GUH
12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, I probably would. Wide Open Spaces. I also like being near the ocean. Or being at high altitudes. I sleep with no blanket and the window open even in winter. A high spot in a skyscraper overlooking the skyline as far as the eye can see makes me very relaxed. there is good reason when i fly in an airliner I sit by the window and I gaze outside during the entire flight. Yes, i am claustrophobic. Closed space, restriction, makes me very uneasy.

California is YOUR place, John. Plenty of places there where you can be on a mountain and see the ocean. Window open all the time, no screen necessary 'cuz no bugs. Moderate temps.

Damn! I miss being out there a lot.

I'm always by the window, too. The scenery is something I stare and stare at.

n2ize
12-17-2011, 05:21 AM
California is YOUR place, John. Plenty of places there where you can be on a mountain and see the ocean. Window open all the time, no screen necessary 'cuz no bugs. Moderate temps.

I would probably like California except for the weather. It's too mild for me. I like extremes. I like places that get very cold. I would probably like Alaska or the Yukon Territory of Canada, which incidentally can get quite hot in summer.

W1GUH
12-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Ah, yes...forgot about that. It's too moderate for me too...only flaw, really. There are the mountains with lots of snow, but it's just not the same as the freqkin' great winters here in the NE.