PDA

View Full Version : electronic ciggies...

W2NAP
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
electronic ciggies anyone on here use one? like it?

n2ize
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Never used one but I heard they are pretty good. However, I believe some lawmakers want to ban them.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Yep, they do.

KC2UGV
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I do. Got me to totally stop smoking (Even when going out drinking). I moved on past the ciggarette-looking ones, and have moved onto these:
http://www.ego-t.com/

n2ize
12-13-2011, 03:37 PM
The question I have is how safe or unsafe are these compared to burning tobacco ?

W2NAP
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I do. Got me to totally stop smoking (Even when going out drinking). I moved on past the ciggarette-looking ones, and have moved onto these:
http://www.ego-t.com/

only thing that bites me is the price... I havn't seen $65 cash all at once in a long long time.

they got some here in the ciggie store locally but its like $80 the price is killing me...

W1GUH
I think they claim is all that you're "smoking" is steam. Don't know, really.

KB3LAZ
I tried them...its an acquired taste. Then again I dont even really care for cigs...Im a cigar and pipe smoker.

W2NAP
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

nicotine is in the vapour.

i guess takes a whole new look on "biz markie vapors"

KC2UGV
12-13-2011, 03:58 PM
The question I have is how safe or unsafe are these compared to burning tobacco ?

Propylene Glycol has been approved by the FDA for inhalation for quite some time, and in fact, many hospitals pump it into the air for it's disinfectant properties.

Nicotine, by itself, isn't much worse than caffeine.

only thing that bites me is the price... I havn't seen $65 cash all at once in a long long time.

they got some here in the ciggie store locally but its like $80 the price is killing me...

You can find them for $55 for the battery, some cartos, and a bottle of juice. A local gas station as a battery, 2 cartos, and recharger for $16 (Cig2O).

You are inhaling food flavoring, nicotine, and either propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 04:11 PM
nicotine is in the vapour.

i guess takes a whole new look on "biz markie vapors"

Didn't know that...thanks for the info.

n2ize
12-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Propylene Glycol has been approved by the FDA for inhalation for quite some time, and in fact, many hospitals pump it into the air for it's disinfectant properties.

Nicotine, by itself, isn't much worse than caffeine.

Not when used in the very small amounts administered via cigars, pipes, cigs, chewing tobacco, and now vapourizers. But side by side nicotine is much more lethal than caffeine and the side effects of nicotine overdosage is much nastier than caffeine.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Some contain nicotine and some do not. Check the labels.
Some Lawmakers need to sit down and shut the hell on up as these devices are under the jurisdiction of the FDA.
While the use of nicotine is not advocated by doctors, unofficially, they will tell you that using these devices eliminates 160 or so other chemicals created by the combustion of cigarettes. Many chemicals are additives designed to boost the way the nicotine hits you. I would compare it to something like, the crack is to cocaine but in the case of cigarette chemicals, the closest comparison would be something like the ever sought but imaginary Super Crack. In the world of the Vancouver shooting galleries, their version is referred to as "Mother's Milk."

KC2UGV
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Not when used in the very small amounts administered via cigars, pipes, cigs, chewing tobacco, and now vapourizers. But side by side nicotine is much more lethal than caffeine and the side effects of nicotine overdosage is much nastier than caffeine.

Very true. In fact, 100mg/L nicotine-PG mixture's sale is restricted by law for that reason.

Some contain nicotine and some do not. Check the labels.
Some Lawmakers need to sit down and shut the hell on up as these devices are under the jurisdiction of the FDA.
While the use of nicotine is not advocated by doctors, unofficially, they will tell you that using these devices eliminates 160 or so other chemicals created by the combustion of cigarettes. Many chemicals are additives designed to boost the way the nicotine hits you. I would compare it to something like, the crack is to cocaine but in the case of cigarette chemicals, the closest comparison would be something like the ever sought but imaginary Super Crack. In the world of the Vancouver shooting galleries, their version is referred to as "Mother's Milk."

About 4000 chemicals are delivered by a puff of smoke. Only 3 are delivered by vaporizers :) But yes, many of the additives in cigarette tobacco IS designed to increase the impact of the nicotine hit.

It's a major reason why many still undergo withdrawal while using vaporizers with nicotine.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Very true. In fact, 100mg/L nicotine-PG mixture's sale is restricted by law for that reason.

About 4000 chemicals are delivered by a puff of smoke. Only 3 are delivered by vaporizers :) But yes, many of the additives in cigarette tobacco IS designed to increase the impact of the nicotine hit.

It's a major reason why many still undergo withdrawal while using vaporizers with nicotine.
I think the 4000 number is a bit of an exaggeration by the anti smoking nazis.

KC2UGV
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM

I think you're right. 599 additives, as submitted by the various manufacturers, plus likely another 300 from combustion and residual (Such as Polonium, and Cesium).

n2ize
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
They claim that even a single puff of a cigarette releases enough chemicals to immediately alter DNA in ways that could induce cancers. But isn't that true of many substances we encounter in nature, as well as chemicals that exist in foods, herbs, air, water, etc.

KC2UGV
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
They claim that even a single puff of a cigarette releases enough chemicals to immediately alter DNA in ways that could induce cancers. But isn't that true of many substances we encounter in nature, as well as chemicals that exist in foods, herbs, air, water, etc.

The radioactive lead and polonium in tobacco smoke can do it...

n2ize
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Speaking about smoking it's really a shame that I cannot find an opium den in NYC these days. They all disappeared many decades ago.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Speaking of exaggeration viz a viz smoking....

My mother smoked until the mid-seventies when she quilt. Later, she developed chronic asthma and was dealing with that til the end. She had oxygen and did regular breathing exercises. She finally succumbed in in 2002. She was never diagnosed with cancer. The closest she came was my sister told me that "they saw a spot on her lung" but at that point there was no reason to do anything about it.

When I got a copy of her death certificate, the cause of death was listed as lung cancer.

One thing I intend to do is write the coroner's office and ask about this. Can a a possible future cause of death trump the actual, immediate cause of death?

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 10:12 PM

As if one comes out of the womb with perfect, untarnished DNA. You're already pretty messed up at the moment of conception to a greater or lesser degree depending of a multitude of variables.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM

My mother smoked until the mid-seventies when she quilt. Later, she developed chronic asthma and was dealing with that til the end. She had oxygen and did regular breathing exercises. She finally succumbed in in 2002. She was never diagnosed with cancer. The closest she came was my sister told me that "they saw a spot on her lung" but at that point there was no reason to do anything about it.

When I got a copy of her death certificate, the cause of death was listed as lung cancer.

One thing I intend to do is write the coroner's office and ask about this. Can a a possible future cause of death trump the actual, immediate cause of death?

John Wayne died of clogged shit but they said it was lung cancer.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Didn't know it. Always thought it was lung cancer. Thanks! Off to look it up...

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Yep....from Wiki:

Although he enrolled in a cancer vaccine study in an attempt to ward off the disease,[39] John Wayne died of stomach cancer on June 11, 1979,

kf0rt
12-14-2011, 08:08 AM

He was constipated? Who knew?

W1GUH
12-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Why he "walked the walk?"

KC2UGV
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM

If an autopsy was performed; that's where the cause of death is determined. The coroner might have found a mass in the lung.

W1GUH
12-14-2011, 09:29 AM
If an autopsy was performed; that's where the cause of death is determined. The coroner might have found a mass in the lung.

I've considered that explanation, and I doubt if there was an autopsy. She died on a Saturday; the funeral directory said she'd be embalmed for the weekend and cremated on Monday. No...no autopsy. Unless he lied.

In any event it would certainly NOT be the immediate cause of death. That was asthma. I would hope that death certificates don't reflect "future potential causes." That would really skew the statistics.

W2NAP
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8pJBCCrZl8

NSFW language , rocco's speech boondock saints 2