PDA

View Full Version : Hope this happens, soon

K7SGJ
12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
This would make life on the road a whole lot safer. It's probably just a matter of time before they outlaw microphone use, too. However, in my opinion, using a two way radio is nowhere near as dangerous as using a cellphone.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/13/us/ntsb-cell-phone-ban/index.html

kf0rt
12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I'd buy that. It'll piss a lot of folks off, though.

K7SGJ
12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Well, into rain a little life must fall. Or sumthin like that.

kf0rt
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Can you imagine someone saying this:

"Sorry -- couldn't answer, I was driving."

K7SGJ
12-13-2011, 02:52 PM
That's one of those "things you never hear". Actually, I wish the cell phone joints gave a free bluetooth headset with the phones so equiped. It wouldn't cost much, and considering the monthly charges, it would be recouped in a heartbeat.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Liked the article up until...

It would not apply to hand-free devices or to passengers.

Read reports that it's not necessarily that one is holding a phone, but the conversation itself is what's distracting. Also, I see people yakking on hand-held phones all the time. Close to impossible to effectively enforce.

I HAVE said..."Sorry I didn't answer, I had to wait to pullover." Sometimes, depending on conditions I'll answer and say, "Gotta make it real quick, I'm driving."

I agree that a cell phone conversation is a different animal than a mobile QSO. MUCH different. Some state, well, at least NJ, I think, make that distinction.

WX7P
12-13-2011, 03:19 PM
We already have a full ban on texting and non-hands free cellphone use in CA.

It was pretty widely ignored until the cops started cracking down. It's not a cheap ticket, either. After administrative costs, it can be $160 or more depending on where you got the ticket.

While inconvenient at times, I think it's good law. It didn't prevent this: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20111116/ARTICLES/111119634, but maybe someone in the future will learn from this tragedy.

W2NAP
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Texting or cell use while driving should be treated just like a DUI/OWI

n2ize
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Liked the article up until...

Read reports that it's not necessarily that one is holding a phone, but the conversation itself is what's distracting. Also, I see people yakking on hand-held phones all the time. Close to impossible to effectively enforce.

Couldn't it then be argued that it is dangerous for the driver to converse with passengers in the car while driving. They could pass a law forbidding passengers to speak to the driver or forbid the driver to engage in any form of conversation with the passengers. But how to enforce that ? They could mandate that all new cars have built in wireless microphones so the police could listen in to hear if there is any conversation taking place in a given vehicle. Or require that cars be built in such a way that the driver sits inside of a "drivers compartment" that is isolated from the rest of the car where the passengers sit.

n2ize
12-13-2011, 03:29 PM
We already have a full ban on texting and non-hands free cellphone use in CA.

I think we have a similar ban here in New York. Matter of fact I think several states have similar bans in effect.

KB3LAZ
12-13-2011, 03:50 PM
That's one of those "things you never hear". Actually, I wish the cell phone joints gave a free bluetooth headset with the phones so equiped. It wouldn't cost much, and considering the monthly charges, it would be recouped in a heartbeat.

If I understand the law correctly in Spain even the blue tooth head sets will land you a fine while driving. You have to use the radio integrated blue tooth or nothing at all. Step back into the US for a moment; I would get a ticket for talking on a cell while driving but I see cops do it daily...go figure.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Couldn't it then be argued that it is dangerous for the driver to converse with passengers in the car while driving. They could pass a law forbidding passengers to speak to the driver or forbid the driver to engage in any form of conversation with the passengers. But how to enforce that ? They could mandate that all new cars have built in wireless microphones so the police could listen in to hear if there is any conversation taking place in a given vehicle. Or require that cars be built in such a way that the driver sits inside of a "drivers compartment" that is isolated from the rest of the car where the passengers sit.

Kind of a a good point, John, but I've observed that telephone conversations, even land-lines, can put the yakker in some sort of alternate universe. Some people seem to get totally wrapped up in who they're talking to and become oblivious to the outside world. Something about a telecon that compels them to ignore everything else.

Seems some people just CAN'T say...excuse me a minute...while on the phone.

NQ6U
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Couldn't it then be argued that it is dangerous for the driver to converse with passengers in the car while driving.

In fact, studies have shown that that is not the case. A passenger in the car with the driver is aware of what's going on around them and will instinctively stop talking when things get dicey. That doesn't happen during a phone conversation.

My own experience led me to stop using a cell phone while driving years ago. About the most I'll do is check and see who the call is from so I know if it can wait or if I should stop and return the call right away.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I like how they call it the "New DUI."
Like those low IQ lawmakers in Mississippi calling salvia the "New Marijuana."

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Something about a telecon that compels them to ignore everything else.

Ma Bell earwigs.

W2NAP
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM

it is the new dui. this year alone I have heard more auto accidents due to texting then i have drunks.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 05:09 PM
If I understand the law correctly in Spain even the blue tooth head sets will land you a fine while driving. You have to use the radio integrated blue tooth or nothing at all. Step back into the US for a moment; I would get a ticket for talking on a cell while driving but I see cops do it daily...go figure.

Saw an HP flying down hwy85 with his phone to his ear, attention diverted to his laptop and I guess he was steering with his knee.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 05:10 PM
it is the new dui. this year alone I have heard more auto accidents due to texting then i have drunks.

I won't argue that it is dangerous but I think calling it the New DUI is just more hyperbole in an already hyperbolic world.

KG4CGC
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
It is, in the mind of some, the same thing as DUI. Thus implying that the driver has a substance problem. In today's world of Totalitarian Christians, all sins are the same. As told to me by a BJU student, "Lying is the same as murder."
Of course, their list of sins could cover a New York phonebook.

W2NAP
12-13-2011, 06:01 PM
driving under the influence the I is texting. and honestly should be treated the same as someone getting behind the wheel drunk.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
In fact, studies have shown that that is not the case. A passenger in the car with the driver is aware of what's going on around them and will instinctively stop talking when things get dicey. That doesn't happen during a phone conversation.

A mobile QSO while driving is very much like having a passenger with you. Obviously not the "awareness" situation, but it IS like having someone along with you. "Thanks for riding along with me" isn't just words.

n2ize
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM

But isn't it ? It's yet another deadly narcotic poison that we must fear and loathe. Be afraid. Be very very afraid.

N1LAF
12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I use the car radio/bluetooth speakerphone interface with my cell, when I am driving open interstate highways.

But if all cell phone use is called distracting, so is your car CD/tape player, radio(s), coffee, and fast foods distracting too.

Common sense has to be used too.

N1LAF
12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Lets add pens to the list...

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/12/13/up-a-pole-miami-cop-ok/

http://cbsmiami.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/miami-cop-car-on-wire.jpg?w=300

K7SGJ
12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't how true this holds for others, but this is the way it has worked for me. I've used a mobile radio for business, and for pleasure for many many years. I find that I can safely hold a conversation while driving in normal traffic, or on the highway without any problem. Heavy traffic, and the mic meets the hanger. Texting? Never tried, and never will because it requires too much focus and eyes away from my driving. Talking on a cell phone, for me, requires more concentration than I'm willing to devote to it. I've tried it, and don't feel at all safe. I can do the Bluetooth interface built into the truck radio, and feel completely comfortable and safe.

I've tried to figure out why I can do the radio or Bluetooth and not the cell. The conclusion I've come to is that the act of having to hold the radio to my ear for the duration causes me to have to try to concentrate on not only holding the phone, but listening, talking, and driving all at the same time. At least with the radio, I can set the mic down during receive and I can listen to the other side of the QSO. I am forced to listen, and I can't interrupt, and the same is true for the other op(s). With the cell phone, both sides of the conversation are happening at the same time, and for some reason, again for me, requires an inordinate amount of concentration. As someone said above, common sense is required. Since some people seem to be lacking in this area, it appears it is going to be legislated, for all of us.

N2CHX
12-13-2011, 08:32 PM

When I did my little six month stint managing a Verizon store, we gave away either a free bluetooth headset or a free car charger with almost every phone.

N2CHX
12-13-2011, 08:33 PM
But isn't it ? It's yet another deadly narcotic poison that we must fear and loathe. Be afraid. Be very very afraid.

>SMACK!!!<

That was the sound of me slapping you upside the head :mrgreen:

WØTKX
12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Using a radio is simplex. One person talks at a time. It's less distracting.
Using a phone is duplex. The back and forth is far more distracting.

I use the "didn't answer, I was driving" comment a lot.
Music helps me concentrate on the driving, personally.

How about banning nose picking and driving? :mrgreen:

http://www.automopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Usher-St.-Barts-Pick-nose.jpg

K7SGJ
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Using a radio is simplex. One person talks at a time. It's less distracting.
Using a phone is duplex. The back and forth is far more distracting.

I use the "didn't answer, I was driving" comment a lot.
Music helps me concentrate on the driving, personally.

How about banning nose picking and driving? :mrgreen:

http://www.automopedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Usher-St.-Barts-Pick-nose.jpg

Well, the roads would be a lot smoother.

N1LAF
12-13-2011, 09:16 PM
I really do not experience a difference between simplex or duplex when driving, but what spurred this on was an obvious no-no.... texting.

Seriously, there is no safe way in any texting while driving, ever!

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I use the car radio/bluetooth speakerphone interface with my cell, when I am driving open interstate highways.

But if all cell phone use is called distracting, so is your car CD/tape player, radio(s), coffee, and fast foods distracting too.

Common sense has to be used too.

Yes, Paul it IS possible to converse on the phone safely while driving. But you're an intelligent, aware person with the ability to stay undistracted. Trouble is, not everyone can do that. That's the problem. Lots and lots of people get buried in the telecon and DO get distracted.