PDA

View Full Version : The sweet look of film

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Was just looking at some ham pix I took with a Rollie many moons ago. Ah, the sweet look of 2 1/4 film!

Enjoy!

NQ6U
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah, even deep into the digital age there's still something to be said for film.

WX7P
12-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Was just looking at some ham pix I took with a Rollie many moons ago. Ah, the sweet look of 2 1/4 film!

Enjoy!

Very nice. Do you still have these pieces?

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
No, unfortunately. That was back when I lived out in the wilds of NJ and had the room. Lots and lots of fun! Obviously I never got around to setting the shots up properly...but the "in situ" isn't bad...I guess.

They all found a good home, tho', and live on to this day.

The Rollie came from a hamfest.

kf0rt
12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah, even deep into the digital age there's still something to be said for film.

It's still a pain in the ass? ;)

n2ize
12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
It's still a pain in the ass? ;)

These days yeah. Unless you set up with your own darkroom and really get into it. I must admit there was something fascinating about developing a roll of film and ,making a set of prints. Now the "darkroom" lies within a chip inside the camera. I am puzzled though. Where do they get people small enough to fit inside the chip to do the developing ?

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 03:02 PM
These days yeah. Unless you set up with your own darkroom and really get into it. I must admit there was something fascinating about developing a roll of film and ,making a set of prints. Now the "darkroom" lies within a chip inside the camera. I am puzzled though. Where do they get people small enough to fit inside the chip to do the developing ?

Used to love spending hours in the darkroom smelling hypo. B&W only...never got into color. What's great about these days is I can shoot color film, negative or slide, get it developed, and scan 'em into the computer and go crazy with PS.

What's a PITA about MF is pretty much the setup of the shot. Tripod...spotmeter...fussing to get everything right...depth of field or hyperfocal? And on and on and on.

With a digital camera, it's pretty much compose and click.

kf0rt
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
What's a PITA about MF is pretty much the setup of the shot. Tripod...spotmeter...fussing to get everything right...depth of field or hyperfocal? And on and on and on.

Meh... I've spent a lot of time with a Pentax 645 MF film camera. Works just like a modern 35mm SLR, only bigger and heavier. Built-in meter, autowinder, easy to hand hold, etc.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh, yea....hand-held, even with a TLR is do-able, especially with a pistol-grip. Looks sexy, too. Using that camera sometimes makes me feel like a Paparazzi from La Dolce Vita!

But for max control of everything (I can be downright extra-anal when doing this) it's the "art shot" technique that'll do it for ya.

OTOH, it is very true that some of my shots from a digital point-and-shoot have approached that technical excellence. Take a lot of motivation out of shlepping that heavy bag.

BTW...always wanted a MF SLR. But since digital --

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB04C5F06buWHwuPl0Ao_mYf3eK_Jyb hkM-GhGFodgTjYaDH6G

Major wood there...

WX7P
12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Oh, yea....hand-held, even with a TLR is do-able, especially with a pistol-grip. Looks sexy, too. Using that camera sometimes makes me feel like a Paparazzi from La Dolce Vita!

But for max control of everything (I can be downright extra-anal when doing this) it's the "art shot" technique that'll do it for ya.

OTOH, it is very true that some of my shots from a digital point-and-shoot have approached that technical excellence. Take a lot of motivation out of shlepping that heavy bag.

BTW...always wanted a MF SLR. But since digital --

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRB04C5F06buWHwuPl0Ao_mYf3eK_Jyb hkM-GhGFodgTjYaDH6G

Major wood there...

Nice camera. We have MF Yashica here somewhere. I should break that out and see what it can do.

W1GUH
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Nice camera. We have MF Yashica here somewhere. I should break that out and see what it can do.

Great camera! That's what was on my list til I got lucky at a hamfest.

HUGH
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
I've been scanning hundreds of photos from the end of the 19th century up to about 10 years ago as backups and archive material to share with various family members on CD. What's amazing is the clarity of most of the early ones where I can enlarge, for example, a full-length figure and print close-ups of bootlaces so you can see the ferrules on the ends.

Some of the more recent colour pictures are poor where a really cheap camera has been used but some taken with a friend's Rolleiflex are pin-sharp.