PDA

View Full Version : Good Day Yesterday

ka4dpo
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Went next door an fired up the heaters in my neighbors garage. Had a bottle of Chimay and one of Duval, it was toasty warm in there even with the door up. So we drank our beer and discussed weather I should buy the Boss 302 or the BMW M3. The M3 is more money but has poise and is an absolute joy to drive.

The Mustang on the other hand actually beat an M3 on a road course through sheer muscle. It is less expensive but the steering sucks and it rides rough compared to the Beamer. It's still up in the air so I haven't spent my retirement toy money yet but need to soon while I'm still young enough to really enjoy it.

N8YX
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Both. :yes:

W1GUH
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
THe M3.....especially if you want to see your mechanic often!

NQ6U
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
No doubt about it, the M3 is a very nice car. However, although the Boss 302 is far less refined, it will be much cheaper to maintain. Check out the price of BMW parts some time—but be sure to you're sitting down when you do. Also, you can improve the 302's road manners considerably with some after-market add-ons.

ka4dpo
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
No doubt about it, the M3 is a very nice car. However, although the Boss 302 is far less refined, it will be much cheaper to maintain. Check out the price of BMW parts some time—but be sure to you're sitting down when you do. Also, you can improve the 302's road manners considerably with some after-market add-ons.

Well I have already owned two of them so I know all about the BMW aka Bring My Wallet brand. My neighbor is a Ford guy and we were discussing some ways to improve the roadability of the 302 but, there is no way to make it ride better. The care comes with race tuned suspension (stiff) and while the BMW will also hold .97 on the skid pad in stock form it's ride is not as harsh. My quandry is do I really want to pop the extra bux for the M3 and like you said, the cost of ownership now that I'm retired?

The Mustang is looking better and if I do get one I'll have more money to get a used 4WD pickup for when it snows cause neither one of the cars I'm looking at can make it to the mailbox in the snow.

WØTKX
12-12-2011, 02:57 PM
If I had money to burn, that CTS-V would piss everyone off real good. :snicker:

http://www.carmk.net/media/2010/07/20100710093006340.jpg

KG4CGC
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Skip them both. Start a Beetle project. Save gas and money. Be innovative.

W5GA
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
some ways to improve the roadability of the 302 but, there is no way to make it ride better. The care comes with race tuned suspension (stiff) and while the BMW will also hold .97 on the skid pad in stock form it's ride is not as harsh.
One of the things I've learned about stiff factory suspensions over the years is that they respond very nicely to good aftermarket shocks. I have a 96 TransAm, and it had the same issue you're talking about with the Mustang...that thing would knock your teeth out with the factory shocks. KYB/Bilstein etc. are your friend here.

N8YX
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Skip them both. Start a Beetle project. Save gas and money. Be innovative.

Ours always ended up as trikes. Fun for the wheelie set. Cold in winter!