PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy is really trying

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Wow....Best Buy is really trying....what a difference!

Went in to my local Best Buy yesterday for printer ink. When I got there it was taking me a while to find the piece of paper I'd written the numbers on and before I could find it someone asked me if I need help and immediately showed me what I needed. She had shown up almost instantly.

Anyone else finding goodness like this for this season?

WØTKX
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I find the attention cloying. Leave me alone, I'll find you if I need help.

Was in retail for years. That shit drives me to buy from Amazon.

KB2SFH
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
I find the attention cloying. Leave me alone, I'll find you if I need help.

Was in retail for years. That shit drives me to buy from Amazon.

I don't mind being asked if I need help, either I do or I don't and politely decline. It's the entire store staff swooping down on me like hungry seagulls after that, that pisses me off :angry:

K7SGJ
12-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't mind being asked if I need help, either I do or I don't and politely decline. It's the entire store staff swooping down on me like hungry seagulls after that, that pisses me off :angry:

Boy, aint that the truth. Some of the stores are like going to a used car lot. Every one wants to be the one to sell you something, even the janitor.

WØTKX
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
They don't have any choice. Their jobs depend on being annoying.

Remember, I was in RS management. Customers are "just" a revenue stream.

Which is crap, but it's the way management is trained.

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I hate that cloying, too. This wasn't an example of that. In the past, it was next to impossible to get help at this particular Best Buy...sometimes I got the impression that they just didn't want in-person customers. The floor people were few and far between and those that you saw were always busy with customers. OK if you like browsing without being hassled...intolerable when you're ready to buy something that you can't just take to check-out.

This was a case of Best Buy recognizing this and hiring extra help on the floor. I'm SURE that that nice lady would've gotten lost if I'd responded...no thanks, I'm good.

But I appreciate what you're saying about being pestered. FWIW, even RS people lately have respected my declination of thier help. A simple, "no, thank you" has always worked well.

W4GPL
12-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I just bought a TV from them.. I went in there, I was asked if I needed help.. I declined for the moment, flagged her down again when I had a question, she was very knowledgeable -- sold me the TV and that was that. :dunno: A fairly positive experience, no fuss or muss, just the right level of customer service. I would have normally made such a purchase from Amazon, but I wanted it right then and there.

W2NAP
12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
no best buy here...

one about 20 miles east.. and another idk 30 miles southwest.

I aint been in one of them things in prob 4 years now..

WØTKX
12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
I just bought a TV from them...

So, you bought that 70" monster of your dreams? :lol:

K7SGJ
12-11-2011, 06:41 PM
My wife lives in mortal fear of 70" ..................never mind.

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 06:44 PM
FWIW...their "buyers protection plans" include accidental damage. IMHO, that's a great thing, especially for laptops (ever spill a glass of wine on one?) and cameras. And it's usually an immediate replacement.

WØTKX
12-11-2011, 07:11 PM
My wife lives in mortal fear of 70" ..................never mind.

I doubt that. Sounds like you've been "cut off" the way you talk about your love life. :stirpot:

K7SGJ
12-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Nah, cut off is a Lorena Bobbit thing, my wife is much kinder. And besides, I never said she was fearful of me. :cool2:

KG4CGC
12-11-2011, 08:00 PM
If they jump right on me as soon as I walk in then it can't be good. In my previous life as a well dressed man, I still garnered negative attention from the plain clothes security goons.
Today I say, "Ah, I'm just bored. But thank you for asking." If I really do need help I'll start with that and add on, "Oh but you know..."

W4GPL
12-12-2011, 05:04 AM
So, you bought that 70" monster of your dreams? :lol:Nah, just a $199 special for the back room. :) Not bad really, 32" 720p, good sound..

KK4AMI
12-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Nah, just a $199 special for the back room. :) Not bad really, 32" 720p, good sound..

Good Grief, the prices are dropping so fast on flat screens and stereos. Why doesn't radio gear go down like that (dream)?

K7SGJ
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Good Grief, the prices are dropping so fast on flat screens and stereos. Why doesn't radio gear go down like that (dream)?

No kiddin. It's damn near impossible to call CQ on a flat screen TV.

KC9ECI
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
They aren't trying hard enough. They made buying a new laptop online such a miserable experience I can't see a reason why I would ever bother with them again.

W1GUH
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Very sorry to hear that. This might be a store-by-store thing. If you're up to it, could you explain what happened? It'd be good to compare notes.

KC9ECI
12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I tried to buy a laptop from them on the website, went through the whole process, then when I tried to check out, it would tell me that it wasn't possible to send the laptop to the store near me...even though up until that point, it would tell me that if I ordered it today, it would be at the store by tomorrow kind of stuff. It was just freaking annoying. If it isn't available, don't tell me it is, right up to the point where I try to hand you money, pull your hand back and shout 'psych!'