http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_214710.asp

W2NAP
12-10-2011, 06:25 PM
wow

that was unexpected

N7YA
12-10-2011, 06:41 PM
It comes for us all.

Mark his call with the ever-increasing list of hams ive associated with over the years that are now SK. Travel well, Mack.

kf0rt
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Hate hearing this stuff.

Travel well, indeed.

KB3LAZ
12-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Sad to hear. :(

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Very sad. I'm so glad I got to know the man. R.I.P, Mack...they tell me where your are is a better place...hoping that's what you're finding.

:(

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Wow. Very sad to see this.

My chair is sitting empty.
My call's no longer heard.
My radio rests quietly.
From it comes no words.
On my shack door is a message.
That reads "From Me to Thee"
My frequency's much higher now
I've become a Silent Key

Judy Hudson KC9CCJ

N8YX
12-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Very sorry to hear it. RIP, Mack.

W5GA
12-10-2011, 09:05 PM
R.I.P. Mack

KG4CGC
12-10-2011, 09:29 PM
RIP, Mack

NQ6U
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Rest in Peace, Mack. Sixty is way too soon.

w2amr
12-11-2011, 04:08 AM
See you on the other side you old fart. :(

PA5COR
12-11-2011, 04:15 AM
Yep unexpected it is... R.I.P. Mack.

WX7P
12-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Like, Wow.

n2ize
12-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Holy COW!! Sorry to hear this sad news.

ad4mg
12-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Never saw eye to eye with the guy. We seldom exchanged kind words, but I always liked the fellow, in spite of our differences, and he sure left an impression. I'm saddened to see him pass on, and often imagined the pain that losing his son brought upon him.

Rest in Peace, Mack.

N7YA
12-11-2011, 07:20 AM
True. Some things go beyond social and political differences.

n4aud
12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
RIP

w2amr
12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Damn, just 2 years ago.
http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?7534-N4VGB-58th-Birthday-Roast

KC9ECI
12-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I recall someone getting a 'talking to' at another site for calling him Dilmus. He was to young to be checking out for sure.

KC2UGV
12-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Man, this is crappy to hear...

suddenseer
12-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Damn.

ki4itv
12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Bummer. RIP Mack.

N2CHX
12-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Wow. Yeah he was a huge douche to me but he was still a human being. Rest in peace.

W3WN
12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Whoa! That was unexpected.

Anyone know what happened? The linked article didn't say.

Didn't agree with him on a lot of things, but I'm still sorry to hear this.

W7XF
12-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Definitly gone too early xD RIP and good DX Mack xD

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
'WN:

As a eulogy....

A couple of times when we disagreed I found Mack to be very amenable to discussing our differences til we worked them out. It was usually a case of discussing two different aspects of the same thing. Our discussions usually allowed us to discover that, at which point we realized that we were actually in agreement all along.

Damn! I'm gonna miss that man and the great give and take we'd engage in.

ab1ga
12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Whoa! That was unexpected.

Anyone know what happened? The linked article didn't say.

There may be some hints in our own message base, but it would take a lot of digging. When I try to think back I can't shake the impression he had limited mobility due to a heart or respiratory condition, and that he knew his days were numbered, but if so he only mentioned in one or two posts.

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
There may be some hints in our own message base, but it would take a lot of digging. When I try to think back I can't shake the impression he had limited mobility due to a heart or respiratory condition, and that he knew his days were numbered, but if so he only mentioned in one or two posts.

That's right....he was on some kind if disability?

ab1ga
12-11-2011, 06:03 PM
That's right....he was on some kind if disability?

Could very well be, he mentioned something about Social Security, which led me to believe he was a lot older than I now realize. At 60 the disability benefit is the only one available from Social Security for oneself.

kb2crk
12-11-2011, 11:41 PM
RIP Mack.

w2amr
12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
There may be some hints in our own message base, but it would take a lot of digging. When I try to think back I can't shake the impression he had limited mobility due to a heart or respiratory condition, and that he knew his days were numbered, but if so he only mentioned in one or two posts.He mentioned having COPD once, but he didn't get into details and I didn't ask.

ab1ga
12-12-2011, 02:28 PM
For COPD read either chronic bronchitis or emphysema.
I'd bet emphysema caused by heaving smoking. That triggers a memory about oxygen use in one of his posts, which fits the pattern.
Double damn.

W4GPL
12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Way too young.

Thanks to an excellent suggestion by Paul (N1LAF), we have changed Mack's status to "SK Member".

NQ6U
12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks to an excellent suggestion by Paul (N1LAF), we have changed Mack's status to "SK Member".

Excellent indeed. Mack and I didn't get along at all here on the Island but I wouldn't wish such an early exit on anybody short of a Hitler or Stalin.

WX7P
12-12-2011, 03:19 PM
This will probably start a shit storm, but why honor a guy who was a complete jerk on the board, just because he had the bad luck to die?

I have never understood why Dilmus got as many mulligans as he did. The guy was a complete jerk, and thumbed his nose at everyone, even his supposed friends.

Unbelievable.

w2amr
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Way too young.

Thanks to an excellent suggestion by Paul (N1LAF), we have changed Mack's status to "SK Member".Excellent, tnx.

KG4CGC
12-12-2011, 03:22 PM
This will probably start a shit storm, but why honor a guy who was a complete jerk on the board, just because he had the bad luck to die?

I have never understood why Dilmus got as many mulligans as he did. The guy was a complete jerk, and thumbed his nose at everyone, even his supposed friends.

Unbelievable.
Because he stood up for the poor conservatives that I was running out of here.

W4GPL
12-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Unbelievable.Predictable.

WX7P
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Predictable.

Really. Your comment was more predictable. You make some snide comment, instead of addressing the issue I raised.

What are you going to do?, everytime some banned asshole dies, we have a memorial service? You know, W6PU isn't getting any younger. Shall we prepare the Island memorial now? How about the UT? or that idiot in North Dakota?

Dilmus was a jerk. Period. I'm not going to cry fake tears of regret at his demise. I really don't care, because he was an awful person to me and others, especially socio-economic groups he didn't like . He isn't worthy of any post mortum respect.

W4GPL
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Changing a title from Banned to SK Member is hardly some grandiose memorial. And to answer your question, yes, when any of those chaps pass on, we'll do the same for them. I'm not rewriting history, but I see no benefit keeping his account title as it was now that he's gone.

W3WN
12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, Dilmus wasn't, say, Ted Bundy.

Suffice to say that there are people in this world who leave the world a better place by their departure. Their deaths should not be mourned.

Someone who plays the role of a jackass to get a rise out of people (which is one thing Dilmus appeared to do, and do often) won't put said induhvidual on my Christmas card list. That doesn't neccesarily mean that I'm happy of their departure. Doesn't neccesarily mean I'm sad about it either.

Let me put it to you this way:

My club newsletter regularly publishes the calls of members or former members who have become Silent Keys. There is one former member whose call is not and will not be listed. He was one of the founders. He was also one of four founders who broke off, secretly started another club, gave it the same name, and swiped our original name & logo in the process... and tried to hijack the club call and so forth. It was not a pleasant situation, and he was one of the two chief instigators.

When he became a SK, I shed no tears. I did go to the funeral home to pay my respects... mainly to his widow (is an ex-wife a widow?) and children. We had no beef with them (the XYL was also a ham, although I don't think she's been active for years). So did many other club members... and we didn't bring up the rift. We even sent flowers... again, more for the family's sake than for his. Ironically, no one from the "new" club showed up, or sent flowers, or did anything... which ought to say something , but never mind that.

So I reserve the right to acknowledge Dilmus' passing. He deserves that much. That doesn't say I'll miss him, nor does it say that I won't. Just that I acknowledge he's gone.

W1GUH
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
'WN:

Someone who plays the role of a jackass to get a rise out of people (which is one thing Dilmus appeared to do, and do often)

Wow...I must have really missed a lot. Either that or Mack hit it off together better that some. I'll re-iterate. We tangled a couple of times...and in both cases it didn't take many exchanges at all for us to realize, and acknowledge that what had started out a maybe a rancorous exchange was simply mis-understanding. We did, in fact agree, and he was, to me, someone who had what it takes for that nice result to happen. He seemed as eager as I was to get there.

Dunno....people will be people will be people?

N2CHX
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Really. Your comment was more predictable. You make some snide comment, instead of addressing the issue I raised.

What are you going to do?, everytime some banned asshole dies, we have a memorial service? You know, W6PU isn't getting any younger. Shall we prepare the Island memorial now? How about the UT? or that idiot in North Dakota?

Dilmus was a jerk. Period. I'm not going to cry fake tears of regret at his demise. I really don't care, because he was an awful person to me and others, especially socio-economic groups he didn't like . He isn't worthy of any post mortum respect.

A year ago I would have completely agreed with you and I understand totally why you feel that way. Dilmus was nothing short of an asshole to me. He used terms like "it" when referring to me. I was happy as anything when he got the boot from here. However, I've decided to try very hard not to stoop the that level of hate anymore in return. I still have my snarky comebacks, I don't take shit from anyone, but I'm trying very hard not to become just like the haters. No question, Dilmus was a hater. But the guy is dead and while he was a total and complete jerkoff to me personally, he's no longer here to defend himself. Who knows, maybe in the last year and a half since I last had interaction with him, he had a change of heart on some things. Maybe on his deathbed he realized that hating on certain people was a waste of breath and time and he regretted it. Maybe not. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Am I going to mourn his loss? Honestly? No. But I've got better things to do than hate on a dead guy.

KG4CGC
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
A year ago I would have completely agreed with you and I understand totally why you feel that way. Dilmus was nothing short of an asshole to me. He used terms like "it" when referring to me. I was happy as anything when he got the boot from here. However, I've decided to try very hard not to stoop the that level of hate anymore in return. I still have my snarky comebacks, I don't take shit from anyone, but I'm trying very hard not to become just like the haters. No question, Dilmus was a hater. But the guy is dead and while he was a total and complete jerkoff to me personally, he's no longer here to defend himself. Who knows, maybe in the last year and a half since I last had interaction with him, he had a change of heart on some things. Maybe on his deathbed he realized that hating on certain people was a waste of breath and time and he regretted it. Maybe not. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Am I going to mourn his loss? Honestly? No. But I've got better things to do than hate on a dead guy.Well said and nuff said.
Thanks.

ad4mg
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
'WN:

Wow...I must have really missed a lot. Either that or Mack hit it off together better that some. I'll re-iterate. We tangled a couple of times...and in both cases it didn't take many exchanges at all for us to realize, and acknowledge that what had started out a maybe a rancorous exchange was simply mis-understanding. We did, in fact agree, and he was, to me, someone who had what it takes for that nice result to happen. He seemed as eager as I was to get there.

Dunno....people will be people will be people?
Mack and I never 'hit it off' in the forums, nor on a personal basis, no matter how hard I tried. To this day, I have never disliked the guy. I won't judge the man simply because I cannot know what personal demons he may have suffered. Call me a bleeding heart liberal, but I am saddened by the death of Mack, and I initiated the policy we will adapt going forward - listing the member as SK in their titles along with the date of their passing, regardless of their status at that time.

It seems the decent thing to do, and God knows, this country desperately needs a good dose of decency.

K7SGJ
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for that post, and you idea. I, for one, think that is the respectable thing to do. :agree:

suddenseer
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I am not going to pile on. I found Mack to be what everyone else has already mentioned. In PM's, he was a totally different person. I don't understand the Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde games he played here. We both have suffered the loss of a son. Some time back, I was having a really bad day on my son's birthday. I was grieving all over again. Mack sensed this and pm'd me. We chatted on the phone for a few minutes. He gave me some good advice on processing the loss of a child.

I feel bad for his wife, and family. His last years were not good ones. He did choose to be the way he was as we all do. He has taught me to make a better choice. RIP Mack.

KG4CGC
12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I am not going to pile on. I found Mack to be what everyone else has already mentioned. In PM's, he was a totally different person. I don't understand the Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde games he played here. We both have suffered the loss of a son. Some time back, I was having a really bad day on my son's birthday. I was grieving all over again. Mack sensed this and pm'd me. We chatted on the phone for a few minutes. He gave me some good advice on processing the loss of a child.

I feel bad for his wife, and family. His last years were not good ones. He did chose to be the way he was as we all do. He has taught me to make a better choice. RIP Mack.
Wow. That's really touching.

WX7P
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM

I feel bad for his wife, and family. His last years were not good ones. He did chose to be the way he was as we all do. He has taught me to make a better choice. RIP Mack.

Interesting. I never would have thought that with his public persona. He told me to Fuck Off in email, so I have a different impression.

It's hard for me to see the kindler, gentler, Dilmus, because he was a complete asshole to me. Why? Because as a somewhat interim poster, even though I was a founding member of the Island, I didn't matter. Dilmus didn't have to kiss my ass, because I didn't post much, from his view. He could pull his bully bullshit on people he didn't think mattered. That's why the guy was an asshole to me and others.

I get the bagging on the dead thing. I'm not going there on purpose. I do think it's ok for me say, I didn't like the guy, and I thought he was an asshole. At least to me.

w2amr
12-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Wow. That's really touching.Yes.

K7SGJ
12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Just goes to show, no matter how big of an asshole someone can be, there are always people out there who care about them. I didn't know the guy, be I hope he can RIP.

N8YX
12-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Just goes to show, no matter how big of an asshole someone can be, there are always people out there who care about them. I didn't know the guy, be I hope he can RIP.

I don't like to see anyone die, regardless of how big of an ass they are...or aren't.

Buried a lot of acquaintances, friends and family this year. It's part of life but the passage of a fellow human being still sucks.

n4aud
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Very predictable. Dilmus was jerk? And you're not? You've been an "awful person to me and others" so "station" why don't you just let it go? I barely had any contact with Mack, he was certainly not my friend, but why kick a dead guy? It's not like they decided to make this a memorial site to him. Holy shit.

NQ6U
12-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Unbelievable.

Yes, I agree, Dilmus was a complete jerk and I told him so here on this board many times. None the less, Internet message board jerkdom is a pretty minor sin in the overall scheme of things and, jerk or not, I wished him no ill in his personal life. I will admit to being quite pleased when he got the boot, however.

n2ize
12-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Unbelievable.

Personally, I never really liked the guy as far as his performance on this forum went. He would always look for ways to get under your skin and be as irritating (and sometimes downright insulting) as he could be. He may not have been a noble knight in shining armor but he was a human being with flesh, blood, emotions, and feelings, and probably some degree of goodness under his seemingly repugnant exterior. Thus we express sorrow and condolences in his passing. He passed too young and I hope that if there is any such thing as heaven, afterlife, etc. I hope he can find peace and happiness there.

VK3ZL
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
RIP Mack....He certainly showed a troubled personality and got a rise out of everyone here one way or another...Perhaps this was a way for him to put his life issues in the background....I knew he was in poor health but didn't realise he was so young...No matter how he treated this site, he deserves a little sympathy from us..We all have our quirks and occasionally rub someone up the wrong way...That's life and we all just have to live with it...

Bob..VK3ZL..

n2ize
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
RIP Mack....He certainly showed a troubled personality and got a rise out of everyone here one way or another...Perhaps this was a way for him to put his life issues in the background....I knew he was in poor health but didn't realise he was so young...No matter how he treated this site, he deserves a little sympathy from us..We all have our quirks and occasionally rub someone up the wrong way...That's life and we all just have to live with it...

Bob..VK3ZL..

Very well put. I agree.

W2NAP
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
guy never done anything to me, so i cant really say anything bad about him. sure he came off as and ass but im sure I do to.

ab1ga
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Perhaps this was a way for him to put his life issues in the background...

With all respect, OM, let me offer this alternative.

All I know of Mack was what I saw on this board. Life gave him some hard knocks, but he didn't whine nearly as much as others would. I don't think his forum behavior was a response to life's setbacks, but the expression of one truly mischievous good ol' boy who, as 'IZE mentioned, got his kicks by blowing wind up the skirts of as many people as he could. There was a member here with the call KY5U who has a similar tendency, but who didn't work at as high a level.

Lots of people troll post once in a while, but when Mack was in the mood, he was Pure Troll (TM).Where I used to work we had a PTB (PommieToffBastard (TM)) who would automatically take the other side of any argument, once even vigorously arguing against trees, and he an Englishman! Mack was like that, and probably all his life. It obviously played to a mixed reaction, but I for one would rather argue with Mack than agree with some others I've met, particularly on That Other Board...

w2amr
12-13-2011, 04:19 AM

Dayum.

w2amr
12-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Another perspective, interesting.
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=29832.0

ki4itv
12-13-2011, 07:41 AM
TNX George.
Sometimes we tend to not separate the politics from the people around here.
...and then there are those who just really enjoy getting a rise out of people. Like Mack.

WX7P
12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Very predictable. Dilmus was jerk? And you're not? You've been an "awful person to me and others" so "station" why don't you just let it go? I barely had any contact with Mack, he was certainly not my friend, but why kick a dead guy? It's not like they decided to make this a memorial site to him. Holy shit.

We know what you think. I've let stuff go that happened in 2004, it's about time you did the same... Good Grief.

WX7P
12-13-2011, 11:41 AM
TNX George.
Sometimes we tend to not separate the politics from the people around here.
...and then there are those who just really enjoy getting a rise out of people. Like Mack.

Maybe. I never saw the good side. I saw a guy who really went out of his way to rattle cages. That's not my definition of a "good guy". That defines "jerk" in my dictionary.

Before one of you pulls the false equivalency and tells me I do the same thing, I disagree. I do react, but I don't provoke like Dilmus did. I never did understand what he thought he was accomplishing by pulling the asshole number.

KC2UGV
12-13-2011, 12:26 PM
With all respect, OM, let me offer this alternative.

All I know of Mack was what I saw on this board. Life gave him some hard knocks, but he didn't whine nearly as much as others would....

Really? Didn't whine?

You never engaged him on any of the "hot buttons". He whined just as much as anyone else...

N2CHX
12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Jesus, everyone calm down and please keep the bong moving. Those that need to, please Bogart. We won't mind.

WØTKX
12-13-2011, 01:38 PM
^^^ This!

In another thread it was mentioned that "Alpha Hotel" was chosen here as a name for one of our most popular forum areas, after Mack was called one for good reason. This honors Mack in a round about way. Very appropriate.

The only PM I ever got from him was an "FU" for this...

"Kiss, Kiss, Kerchunk". Laughed my ass off at that. :rofl:

N8YX
12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Jesus, everyone calm down and please keep the bong moving. Those that need to, please Bogart. We won't mind.

That, or hook more hoses to the thing. :snicker:

K7SGJ
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Make mine a garden hose.

kf0rt
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM

No shit.

+ a bunch

WØTKX
12-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I used to make the most wicked rum balls for the holidays. Usually a mix of dark and 151 rum.

Two or three of them would make you feel real good. But, I have quit drinking for about three years now, except for a small amount every few months in a social situation, like toasts at a wedding or a funeral. Just a ceremonial sip, I don't want the buzz from that no more. :hand:

My Christmas cheer now goes like this... Hey man, want to try a special oatmeal cookie? :mrgreen:

suddenseer
12-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Jesus, everyone calm down and please keep the bong moving. Those that need to, please Bogart. We won't mind.My turn. Inhale, exhale, ERE!!!!

N7YA
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Either way, his island eulogy warranted 8 pages of back-and-forth. That must count for something on the Island scale, no?

ab1ga
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
And I wasn't even trolling!

But I'm still worried about Albi; his last post was made on the same day... well, you know...

NQ6U
12-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Either way, his island eulogy warranted 8 pages of back-and-forth. That must count for something on the Island scale, no?

Mack would have greatly enjoyed this whole thread, I think. Nothing delighted him more than stirring things up.

WX7P
12-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Mack would have greatly enjoyed this whole thread, I think. Nothing delighted him more than stirring things up.

There's no doubt Dilmus would have loved the attention. Whatever.

n2ize
12-13-2011, 11:52 PM
well, at least Dillmuss wasn't into conspiracy theories. :)

NQ6U
12-13-2011, 11:54 PM
well, at least Dillmuss wasn't into conspiracy theories. :)

In fact, he was. The CIA intercepted and changed all his posts, however.

N7YA
12-14-2011, 04:01 AM
I thought the libs on the Island did that. :lol:

ki4itv
12-14-2011, 07:39 AM
I thought the libs on the Island did that with great jubilation and glee. :lol:

Never happens. :lol:

W7XF
12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
specialized [/I]oatmeal cookie? :mrgreen:

What....do you soak the raisins in rum???

W7XF
12-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Hello.

Jethro is not a SK.
He was picked up by an APU equipped black Bell 47.

KG4CGC
12-15-2011, 01:29 AM
What....do you soak the raisins in rum???They're subscription cookies.

NA4BH
12-16-2011, 04:02 PM
R.I.P Mack

ab1ga
12-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello.

Jethro is not a SK.
He was picked up by an APU equipped black Bell 47.

Albi's last post was on the same day Dilmus died.
Perhaps they ran into each other somewhere and underwent mutual annihilation.
I guess that's how you make a Higgs boson.

VE7DCW
12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Albi's last post was on the same day Dilmus died.
Perhaps they ran into each other somewhere and underwent mutual annihilation.
I guess that's how you make a Higgs boson.

"The god particle" .......... that's a scary thought!