PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with Audacity?

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)is a free, open source software tool for recording and editing. I LOVE it. It's feature-packed, easy and quick to download and install, and even the beta versions are very stable and fully supported. I've never had a problem with it through a few releases.

It's pretty full-featured. I've yet to encounter a need to do something that I couldn't with Audacity. The GUI is very well done and very intuitive, and comes with a large number of effects and analysis tools, including DSP functions such as filtering and making FFT's of the sound source.

It's VERY GOOD at exporting .WAV files as MP-3's.

NQ6U
12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't do a lot of audio work but when I am doing any, I also use Audacity. It's pretty hard to beat, especially for the price.

There's a Mac version available, BTW.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
And I'm pretty sure Linux.

THAT's open-source the way it oughta be, IMHO.

N1LAF
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Audacity® is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Do you use it Paul?

And thanks for the official, full description!

What I've been using if for is editing and exporting .WAV files from an Edirol R-09 (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=757). That's a great portable digital recorder. Plan to use it as a log while mobile.

N1LAF
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
I am just looking at it, and downloading ALL the files for my inventory

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Excellent. One caveat...messing around editing and processing music files is very addictive! Enjoy!

Oh, yea...MP-3 exporting requires a plug-in, something called "LAME". But that, too, is easy to install and becomes seamless.

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Best use I've had for it so far is removing or attenuating noise glitches in my recordings.

Easy to find, just scrub through the file looking at the waveform for any anomalies.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Best use I've had for it so far is removing or attenuating noise glitches in my recordings.

Easy to find, just scrub through the file looking at the waveform for any anomalies.

Yep! Amazingly easy and intuitive.

BTW...I think I learned about it over on the 'zed a few years ago.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh...and this..

The current beta version is significantly faster than the old release. Both processing and exporting-wise.

I think it's cool that in this case "beta" doesn't equal "scary".

N1LAF
12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Does it analyze the recording, then process the audio for full range? Suppose the audio file peak is only 75% max, does it have the tool to "amplify" the recording to reach 100% peak?

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 11:59 AM
You can modify the dynamic range, but I usually hate doing that. Ruins the nuances of the original recording.

So many radio stations do that with all their programs and music. Icky Poo.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Does it analyze the recording, then process the audio for full range? Suppose the audio file peak is only 75% max, does it have the tool to "amplify" the recording to reach 100% peak?

Aha! You've found the single most difficult part of digital music....getting the level right. The answer, is no, not that I've found yet. But considering it's completeness, that just might be in the help files that I've yet to explore in detail.

About that...

My first venture into digital recording/production was with a Roland VS-880EX (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=482). I used it to self-produce a CD of my guitar music. (Don't ask unless you have the time for about an 8-hour face-to-face.) (Well please ask, and said conversation will happen!)

I also had a project going producing some music for a dear friend female vocalist. I just COULD NOT get the level to where it was up to pro, commercial standards for a CD.

ARGH!!! Always way to low. Don't think I need to mention how BAD clipping can sound in the digital world.

BUT....Roland to the rescue...beautifully.

The '880EX software was quickly updated to include a "Mastering Took Kit." (MTK)

Now, mastering is an awesome, and difficult art unto itself. The number of controls in that MTK is mind-numbing...the menus go on forever and ever, ad infinitum.

Again...BUT...

Roland supplied factory pre-sets for it. Includes things like settings for acoustic, classical, jass, rock, pop, etc. YES!!!!!!!!

THAT made getting the level right very easy. And from then on, sending the final mix-down through that really polished the sound and gave it the pro commercial "sheen". Big shit-eating grin about that one!

Pity, tho', that machine is obselete and I can no longer find another CD burner (vital for the machine's full potential) to replace the broken one I have. OTOH, multiple hard disks are a nice solution for that, and they're about a dime a dozen now.

That's the full answer to your questions. Considering Audacity's greateness, I half-expect to see a release with that kind of mastering. Mastering is not simply gain diddling with compression. It's far more. When I do vinyl, I don't really process it all. I just record it as well as possible, then master it. What mastering does is it makes the sound noticeably clearer or more transparent. It's like looking through a glass with a slight film on it, then looking againg after it's been cleaned.

Dunno how that happens. To me, it's magic.

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
From the Audacity manual...

Compressor - compresses the dynamic range of the selection so that the loud parts are softer while keeping the volume of the soft parts the same. You can optionally normalize the recording afterwards, resulting in the entire piece having higher perceived volume.

N1LAF
12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
The word I am looking for is "Normalize", not dynamic range. In the past, I used Sound Forge to "normalize" recordings. For the previous example, where the peak was only 75% full scale, the entire recording would be multiplied by 1.25, to use as much as full range, so when played back with other files, the 'volume' would be uniform. Sound Forge did a great job in this aspect.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
From the Audacity manual...

Ah, yes...compression will help. But it will also alter the dynamic range of the music. Mastering doesn't do that.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
The word I am looking for is "Normalize", not dynamic range. In the past, I used Sound Forge to "normalize" recordings. For the previous example, where the peak was only 75% full scale, the entire recording would be multiplied by 1.25, to use as much as full range, so when played back with other files, the 'volume' would be uniform. Sound Forge did a great job in this aspect.

I think that's there. With vinyl it's not much help. The scratches will come out way higher than the music, and ya gotta get rid of that before any normalization will be effective.

kf0rt
12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Shouldn't that be 1.33?

I've always assumed that normalization could be accomplished without any loss of quality -- it is an issue when you want to play a lot of tracks that came from different sources.

Used to use a program called Cool Edit that did all this. As I understand it, Cool Edit was bought out by Adobe and is now called Audition. As a $60-70 program, Cool Edit was worth it. With the $200+ Adobe markup, not so much. The change in how Vista and Win 7 handles audio broke the old stuff so you couldn't use it to record directly from the computer's internal audio stream.

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I used to use Cool Edit. Old version may still be installed on an old Winders 2K PC I have.

My link to the Audacity manual talks about compression first, then normalize. So, to be specific, normalize is what what it's about. But compression will "lift" the quiet parts out first, giving better results (so you can hear it) for the quiet parts. I listen to too much Jazz and stuff. These tricks work well for good 'ol rock and roll, for the most part, which doesn't have as many quiet parts.

For instance, trying it with a Stanly Jordan or Earl Klugh recording just messes things up, IMHO.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey...lookee what I just found

BR-1180/1180CD: Digital Recording Studio (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=334)

Well, that one might be old, too. But a quick check of Musician's Friend shows several variations of this. And they all include the MTK! Maybe time to get my butt down to Sam Ashe or Guitar Center and take a look-see. This makes this thread highly useful for me!

Been expecting an update like this. Roland has proven to be an outstanding source of equipment.

N1LAF
12-10-2011, 12:29 PM
My link to the Audacity manual talks about compression first, then normalize. So, to be specific, normalize is what what it's about. But compression will "lift" the quiet parts out first, giving better results (so you can hear it) for the quiet parts.

This is exactly the issue. Not compression, just simple normalize. It seems that Sound Forge was smart to the fast impulses from pop/click, and probably ignored it. The volume was greatly increased, and was consistent with all vynal recordings, and the extremely rare pop/click didn't seam to change volume (was not apparently louder).

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 12:34 PM
My experience has taught me to compress first, then normalize, or the quiet parts almost disappear.

kf0rt
12-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I used to use Cool Edit. Old version may still be installed on an old Winders 2K PC I have.

My link to the Audacity manual talks about compression first, then normalize. So, to be specific, normalize is what what it's about. But compression will "lift" the quiet parts out first, giving better results (so you can hear it) for the quiet parts. I listen to too much Jazz and stuff. These tricks work well for good 'ol rock and roll, for the most part, which doesn't have as many quiet parts.

For instance, trying it with a Stanly Jordan or Earl Klugh recording just messes things up, IMHO.

Better off starting with a digital source that's "as it was intended" I suspect. My one attempt at recording LP's was kind of a failure. Not that the results were horrible, but man... what a lot of work when the CD of the same thing was readily available and easily ripped.

I wonder if Audacity will automatically downsample a bunch of MP3 files from 320K to say... 192 or 128K. Haven't played with it in awhile (and honestly can't hear the difference).

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Diminishing returns after 192k to my ears. A lot of CD's are already "normalized".

Listen to a clean "master" LP of say... Steely Dan. Then listen to the CD. Wow man.

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Meh. I'm an old sound guy, so I understand the premise of "what the studio engineer intended" and like that.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Meh. I'm an old sound guy, so I understand the premise of "what the studio engineer intended" and like taht.

Only way to do it!

kf0rt
12-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Diminishing returns after 192k to my ears. A lot of CD's are already "normalized".

Listen to a clean "master" LP of say... Steely Dan. Then listen to the CD. Wow man.

Sadly, (well not really), I'm no longer set up to play anything analog. I have heard that most CD's have been "tweaked beyond repair" but was never sure if that was Audiophoolery or not. Most of the digital stuff I hear sounds great but I've got no (as in zero) academic background in music and my hearing ain't what it used to be.

I've played some (obviously bootlegged) surround sound re-mixes of music here that are incredible.

K7SGJ
12-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I've used Audacity for years. Mostly for coverting old time radio, and some NPR talk shows to MP3 format, or from MP3 to WAV if it's going to get played in my wifes truck. Also good for ajusting level if the old masters were recorded low since level is more important than fidelity on those old radio shows. It's a nice little program, and as mentioned aboved, it's very easy to use.

n2ize
12-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Yes, I am pretty sure it does.

n2ize
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
I've been using Audacity on Linux for years. It is also great for "capturing audio". And, with the full set of plug-ins installed it can offer a tremendous range of special effects, i.e. echo, reverb, phase shift, notch filtering, hi pass, lo pass, etc.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Yep!!!!

Tip I just learned today...

Increase the level with Effect->Amplify.

You'll get a popup where you specify the amplification in dB. There's also a check box to "Allow Clipping". If you select a gain that will result in clipping, the OK button will be disabled unless you check "Allow Clipping."

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
And...Ta Da!!!

Thanks to this thread I learned that there is a wonderful replacement for my trusty and sold gold, but obsolete VS-880EX workstation.

I called the local Guitar Center to find out if what I was looking for was in stock and received superlative service from the agent who took my call. He took lots of time hearing what I was looking for and said that they didn't have it in stock, but could order it. And then we spent some time talking about digital recording. He made lots of suggestions and looked up on his computer what the alternatives could be. Finally, I'd heard enough to know that what I wanted was what I originally called up to ask about, and told him I'm ready to order it. At that point he looked up where it might be in stock locally and suggested a couple of competitors. (WOW!!! That's above and beyond the call of duty!). I told him, no...that would be unacceptable to me after he spent so much time serving me so well and I went ahead and ordered it. It'll be in the shop ready to pick up Tues. or Wed. I couldn't bear giving my money to any other place after that call.

If you know what "Manny's Music" means, you'll know it's a supreme compliment to say that every time I've gone into a Guitar Center...Hollywood, Lawndale, NYC, I come away thinking that they are just as good as Manny's was. The salespeople are also pro musicians and have no attitude.

Here's what I ordered.
(http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-BR-1200CD-Digital-Recording-Studio-103110722-i1125967.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB)

Just had to report a great bit of business.

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Purchased a number of things for my hamshack from Guitar Center. Nice folks, and they get a kick out of my applications.

I keep looking at the large diaphragm non-USB Marshall microphones. Damn nice for the money.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Nothing beats the sweet, sweet sound of a good studio condenser mic!

K7SGJ
12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
And...Ta Da!!!

Thanks to this thread I learned that there is a wonderful replacement for my trusty and sold gold, but obsolete VS-880EX workstation.

I called the local Guitar Center to find out if what I was looking for was in stock and received superlative service from the agent who took my call. He took lots of time hearing what I was looking for and said that they didn't have it in stock, but could order it. And then we spent some time talking about digital recording. He made lots of suggestions and looked up on his computer what the alternatives could be. Finally, I'd heard enough to know that what I wanted was what I originally called up to ask about, and told him I'm ready to order it. At that point he looked up where it might be in stock locally and suggested a couple of competitors. (WOW!!! That's above and beyond the call of duty!). I told him, no...that would be unacceptable to me after he spent so much time serving me so well and I went ahead and ordered it. It'll be in the shop ready to pick up Tues. or Wed. I couldn't bear giving my money to any other place after that call.

If you know what "Manny's Music" means, you'll know it's a supreme compliment to say that every time I've gone into a Guitar Center...Hollywood, Lawndale, NYC, I come away thinking that they are just as good as Manny's was. The salespeople are also pro musicians and have no attitude.

Here's what I ordered.
(http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-BR-1200CD-Digital-Recording-Studio-103110722-i1125967.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB)

Just had to report a great bit of business.

Man, that's a hell of a toy. They sure have come a long way from the multi track Otaris we used to use in broadcasting. But then, every thing has come a long way since then. I imagine Keli has probably worked on them as well. They were nice machines, but hard to keep equalized.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Man, that's a hell of a toy. They sure have come a long way from the multi track Otaris we used to use in broadcasting. But then, every thing has come a long way since then. I imagine Keli has probably worked on them as well. They were nice machines, but hard to keep equalized.

You can say that again. I call my old on the Infinite Toy. Hard to imagine ever using everything it has!

Pretty much made this a no-brainer. Been waiting for a while to find a good replacemnt.

And again, it's that MTK that keeps me with Roland.

WØTKX
12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a MiniDisc Tascam PortaStudio. Got it dirt cheap, for $35, because the MiniDisc part has failed.

Still have not found a replacement MiniDisc drive, but it's a damn nice mixer for $35. :yes:

I have a little Behringer Xenyx 602 that I picked up on sale at Guitar Center.
Use it a lot for ESSB with my TS-850/DSP-100 combo.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
How do like the Behringer? Picked up one of their large diaphragm condenser mics at a hamfest, $75. Haven't checked it out yet...looks wise it's excellent.

W1GUH
12-10-2011, 11:12 PM

There's some demo video here (http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=738).

Make sure to here Phil Gates say, "Guitar players, we like knobs. Knobs are good." in the Complete Production Platform video! Take special not of what he says about mastering.

W1GUH
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Back on-topic...

Finished digitizing the vinyl yesterday and while fooling around found that clipping on record pops is OK, doesn't mess up the sound. Those discrete pops, that stand out like a sore thumb in the envelope display* were making getting a decent level a hair-pulling event til I discovered that trick.

While watching the music on the WMP 'scope display (Thanks for the tool, MS) It kind of looked like the clipping was "soft"...not the hard clipping that usually happens.

*Especially if View->View Clipping is turned on.

And I FINALLY found the "Donate" link on the Audacity page. Sent 'em $30. Might do that with every new beta release. I'm in love with that organization!